2019-20 Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only pushback is when comparing fsu getting 6 wins would mean U of I should be happy with a 4 win lovie. Lovie was basically safe year 2 no matter what and probably year 3 as well. If this was year 3 or 4 at FSU, you likely need 9 wins to keep the job.

I don't think the year matters my friend. At Florida State, .500 isn't good enough.

They've also got big problems in other areas and kids running from that program like the bubonic plague. Willie is a dead man walking, whether it be 2020 or 2021.

Not to take away from all of the very good information in this thread but I think the most impressive thing is that Twangers and Gritty, who are both incredibly opinionated individuals, have been so damn amicable in their back and forth.

Not to take away from all of the very good information in this thread but I think the most impressive thing is that Twangers and Gritty, who are both incredibly opinionated individuals, have been so damn amicable in their back and forth.

We both seem to agree on most things, few subtle differences is all. His internal GPS has him on one route and mine another but we both want to end up at the same destination. If he were ranting about us needing to hire Nick Saban and win multiple National Championships or else shutter the program, we would not have much to discuss. Also, I'm quite happy to have found this board as an outlet to talk about the good guys with intelligent people. I've recently relocated from Lubbock, TX. The people there don't have a TON of interest in talking Illinois football.

And I was right about Jim McElwain's recruiting record vs. Dan Mullen's whereas he was wrong. That was a good time.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
We both seem to agree on most things, few subtle differences is all. His internal GPS has him on one route and mine another but we both want to end up at the same destination. If he were ranting about us needing to hire Nick Saban and win multiple National Championships or else shutter the program, we would not have much to discuss. Also, I'm quite happy to have found this board as an outlet to talk about the good guys with intelligent people. I've recently relocated from Lubbock, TX. The people there don't have a TON of interest in talking Illinois football.

And I was right about Jim McElwain's recruiting record vs. Dan Mullen's whereas he was wrong. That was a good time.

Looks like we missed each other. Just left Lubbock to get back to the Midwest. Was down there for three years.

For those thinking Justin Fuente is safe over there, you might want to turn the dial to ESPN.

Just did a quick youtube search on how to stop the triple option and the first game tape that came up was 2017 OSU vs Army. During the first 3ish min of the video you hear the commentator say something along the lines about not getting the biggest or best athletes. Did not watch the entire video. But looking at the final score, I would say that Army's slow pace kept them from losing by 50. OSU was athletically dominate.
Here is GT beating FSU for the ACC Champ game. I am assuming this is the peak of the modern triple option? Well they won because of their defense. The defense kept FSU out of the end zone in the 1st qrt after a turn over, and returned a blocked game winning FG for a TD with no time remaining. You can say that killing the clock on O helped keep the D fresh. But can we not do that with the offense we currently have? I am not looking it up but I assume we have a really good average running the football.
Argue small sample size and that would be a valid point. I went into with a biased negative opinion about the possibilities. Well I just made it worse honestly. I still keep the same opinion to this point, its the Jimmy's and Joes not the Xs and Os.

How could anybody not love to watch that beautiful madness

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois

Refreshing

For those thinking Justin Fuente is safe over there, you might want to turn the dial to ESPN.
What is happening at Virginia Tech? Fuente was the hot, up and coming, can't miss coaching candidate and had a couple of good years when he first got there. Has recruiting fallen off?

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I don't think the year matters my friend. At Florida State, .500 isn't good enough.

They've also got big problems in other areas and kids running from that program like the bubonic plague. Willie is a dead man walking, whether it be 2020 or 2021.

It's certainly not good enough, but I would imagine they're looking to find a way not to give up on Taggart after two years. A bowl gives you that fig leaf, but I look at their schedule and I'm not sure where I find six wins.

Yeah, similarly with Taggart, it's not just like "oh the record isn't good enough for the prestige of the school", you watch both of those teams and they're a total perplexing mess.

Anyone could have seen what's going on with Jeremy Pruitt at Tennessee coming, some of the stuff around Jimbo Fisher leaving might have foretold what Taggart was in for, but I have no idea how to explain the collapse happening at VT. That's a bad football team.

VT is in a rough spot at the moment. They’re not competitive within the conference (0-2 in 2019), recruiting is in the toilet, kids transferred out of that program at alarming rates this spring/summer, numerous off field incidents and if all of that was not bad enough, attendance is reportedly down 10% from 2015.

Last night was VTs worst home loss in 30-something years per the commentary. Justin Fuente, I wish you luck out there on that plank.

Deleted member 631370

D
VT is in a rough spot at the moment. They’re not competitive within the conference (0-2 in 2019), recruiting is in the toilet, kids transferred out of that program at alarming rates this spring/summer, numerous off field incidents and if all of that was not bad enough, attendance is reportedly down 10% from 2015.

Last night was VTs worst home loss in 30-something years per the commentary. Justin Fuente, I wish you luck out there on that plank.

Yeah, VT is a total mess. PSU goes to Blacksburg to open the season next year, and that home-and-home series couldn't possibly come at a better time.

Weird dynamic there with Fuente and Bud Foster. A shame to see Foster go out like this. VT's only saving grace is that their schedule is pathetic -- their OOC games consist of Old Dominion, Furman, and Rhode Island, and they miss Clemson in ACC play. But if they can't even muster up a winning record with that schedule, Fuente's seat is going to be piping hot.

Yeah, VT is a total mess. PSU goes to Blacksburg to open the season next year, and that home-and-home series couldn't possibly come at a better time.

Weird dynamic there with Fuente and Bud Foster. A shame to see Foster go out like this. VT's only saving grace is that their schedule is pathetic -- their OOC games consist of Old Dominion, Furman, and Rhode Island, and they miss Clemson in ACC play. But if they can't even muster up a winning record with that schedule, Fuente's seat is going to be piping hot.

They do miss Clemson and they still have to play Rhode Island but with their performance through 4 and their remaining schedule (Virginia, Miami, Notre Dame all on the road plus Wake and Pitt), I don’t see 6 wins. I have no confidence in their ability to beat North Carolina, they might not see 5 wins.

I’m going to say that’s a no go retread hire. I really liked him outta Memphis.

The thing that's amazing to look back on, in a lot of ways Ron Zook invented the internet. What I mean by that is that we live in this world now where large numbers of random nobodies who don't know each other personally but who share some particular interest can gang up via the internet and create a mass movement that gets reported on by the media and that enters the public consciousness and has a real effect on real world decision making through purely online means.

If there's an earlier example of that than FireRonZook.com I'm all ears, but I think that was kinda patient zero of basically everything the world was to become.

And make no mistake, that is a critical piece of why Ron Zook became the head coach at Illinois. Ron Guenther was absolutely horrified by the way Zook was treated at Florida. The power demonstrated by the unwashed masses of fans in that saga was the antithesis of Guenther's entire belief structure about college sports. And for less ideological but obviously more personal reasons, Zook was really raw about it too, and the two bonded over that.

Oh and I had to mention this too. Not true in the slightest. Those kids LOVED Zook. He was not a disciplinarian and let them get away with too much off the field, so maybe it wasn't the ideal kind of leader-pupil type relationship, but Zook's players adored him and worked their behinds off for him in a football context.

And the same was true of the players' families. Zook had a way with people.

The memes that appeared at that time, mostly posted by fans of competing SEC programs, were beautiful. Zook was a bit of a laughingstock in the college football world, when we hired him. That perception largely continued throughout his tenure at Illinois.

And I'm well aware that his players liked him. He was one of the boys. But as we saw during the 6-game losing skid that ended his head-coaching career, the team was quite aware that he wasn't a brilliant football mind.

I'm going to continue to believe that if most fans can tell that a coach is a buffoon, the players on the team will eventually figure that out as well.

All great posts problem is even if they only win one more game Lovie will be back.
[/QUOTE
Love really squandered a huge opportunity this year with the west being worse than expected. I don't think you can even entertain Lovie coming unless we get 5 wins minimum. A decent team is 4-0 with the schedule we played with played, at worst 3-1. I'd need some really promising loses with 5 wins to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.