2019-20 Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Looks like I'm the only one aboard the Billy Napier train.

Top 3 (in no order)
1. Billy Napier
2. Seth Littrell
3. Lance Leipold

im from peoria, dont care.

i cant bring myself to a triple option coach. sorry, never will. and im not alone.
wont go anymore, wont renew my season tickets, wont be interested in illini
football.

I would rather go 4-8 every year than 7-5 with a triple option offense. At least I could always dream about landing 4 and 5 star kids and winning a championship. If we have a triple option offense, I won't go to any games, or watch it on TV...UGH!!

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I don't know much about that situation nor do I care to figure it out now this long after the fact but in general I don't recall Kendall Briles being a big part of what transpired there and I don't feel comfortable crucifying the son for the sins of the father.

Let's judge Kendall for Kendall.
Not arguing with anything you're saying but I'm not sure Whitman can so easily dismiss the court of public opinion. I would suspect that mhuml32 is far from alone in having a very negative reaction to Kendal Briles.

Mike Norvell- Memphis HC
Jeff Monken- Army HC
Thomas Venables-Clemson DC
Jonathan Smith- Washington OC
Pete Kwiatowski- Washington DC

Jonathan Smith was hired by Oregon State last year. Current Washington OC is Bush Hamdan. And if I'm not mistaken, Jimmy Lake is considered Washington DC while Kwiatowski is co-coordinator.

If you'd truly rather go 4-8 than 7-5 with an offense that's different from what everyone uses then you should be the person that's least interested in getting rid of Lovie. The flexbone offense has been around for Army and Navy for years because it's what their players are built for. It's called using what you got. This guy wins games and that's something we don't know how to do

Deleted member 19448

D
I don't know if they are realistic options or not but if the money is right they will listen at least. Kendal Briles can coach some ball and kills it out on the recruiting trail. FSU is just a dumpster fire right now.
Dino was there for the taking had "it's not ideal" happened. I wanted that guy as that off season approached. Seemed a great fit with already having some Illinois connections at Eastern.

Jonathan Smith was hired by Oregon State last year. Current Washington OC is Bush Hamdan. And if I'm not mistaken, Jimmy Lake is considered Washington DC while Kwiatowski is co-coordinator.

Well why not pull the Underwood trick and Take Smith away from his current contract? Not sure what his terms are there but maybe we get lucky dealing with a complacent AD again. The Co-coordinator thing isn't an issue to me since he was the main guy for 3-4 years.

Dino was there for the taking had "it's not ideal" happened. I wanted that guy as that off season approached. Seemed a great fit with already having some Illinois connections at Eastern.
He wanted the Illinois job and was putting his staff together as if he had the Illinois job.

Deleted member 654622

D
He wanted the Illinois job and was putting his staff together as if he had the Illinois job.
Can someone fill me in on why everyone thinks he will be such a slam dunk? Good at the lower level then 4-8, 4-8, 10-3!, now 3-2 (0-2 vs power 5 teams). What if the team falls on their face the rest of this year and only has 5 or 6 wins? I can say at least they beat down Western Michigan.
I am not saying he would or would not work. I am just asking for some solid info about the hype

Well why not pull the Underwood trick and Take Smith away from his current contract? Not sure what his terms are there but maybe we get lucky dealing with a complacent AD again. The Co-coordinator thing isn't an issue to me since he was the main guy for 3-4 years.

Smith is an Oregon St. alum, but more importantly I don't think he's earned a chance at the Illlini job. And I actually root for Oregon St. As for the Washington DCs, I actually prefer Jimmy Lake, though I don't know much about Kwiatowski other than I believed he's served under Peterson for a lot of his career.

If you'd truly rather go 4-8 than 7-5 with an offense that's different from what everyone uses then you should be the person that's least interested in getting rid of Lovie. The flexbone offense has been around for Army and Navy for years because it's what their players are built for. It's called using what you got. This guy wins games and that's something we don't know how to do
I'd rather go 4-8 than have a triple option offense. I do want to win, just not with that offense...I cannot watch it. I see it as offense for teams with limited quality players. I know it may be a more viable option for the type player we have now, but I have higher aspirations...I just don't want to settle.

Can someone fill me in on why everyone thinks he will be such a slam dunk? Good at the lower level then 4-8, 4-8, 10-3!, now 3-2 (0-2 vs power 5 teams). What if the team falls on their face the rest of this year and only has 5 or 6 wins? I can say at least they beat down Western Michigan.
I am not saying he would or would not work. I am just asking for some solid info about the hype

Simple, he won 10 games at Syracuse. Syracuse. That’s a ridiculously tough place to recruit and win and he’s done it and it hasn’t just come against the lower end ACC teams either, he’s got a win against Clemson. He almost beat Clemson again last year.

58-37 as a head coach, won 10 games at bowling green and 12 games at eastern. Has an offensive identity as he runs Briles offense. Motivated recruiter and players really like him.

Making an effort to watch more ND football to get a feel for the offense but he can flat out recruit and has done so nearly everywhere he's been. That's the first step.

Wish I knew how connected he was to other coaches around the country. Trying to picture his potential staff is nearly impossible.

I've spent too much time thinking of this. From what I have read, he is still in touch closely with the Petrino brothers. They gave him his first shot years ago. Say what you want about Bobby, but he has connections.

First connection for a DC I could see- Paul Haynes, DB coach at MSU. Scouring 247 recruiting, looks to be one of their top recruiters (more than Mike Tressel). Has spent time at MSU and OSU previously, was head coach at Kent State. His connection with Long is through Petrino, was with hom at Louisville and as DC at Arkansas.

Other key hire is Del Alexander, current WR coach at ND. Both were together at ASU previously, and now connected at ND. Dude can recruit also.

Other connections- Long worked with current Idaho O-Line coach Jon Carvin at Illinois and Keith Gilmore could be a possibility, former Il connection and ND connection though Brian Kelly.

His former HC Todd Graham is unemployed. Not sure if he or Bobby would be interested any roles or as advisors. Graham has a wide range of former assistants Long could tap into for recommendations- Malzahn, Applewhite, Jay Norvell, Billy Napier, Mike Norvell, Chad Morris, Chip Lindsey, Jake Spavital... its kinda crazy how many of Todd Grahams former assistants are being talked about in here.

Bottom line- working for Petrino, Graham, and Kelly probably has given him a vast network.

im from peoria, dont care.

i cant bring myself to a triple option coach. sorry, never will. and im not alone.
wont go anymore, wont renew my season tickets, wont be interested in illini
football.

LOL- the offensive scheme is going to be what does it for you huh?
Nothing else bothers you about Illini football?

I don't know much about that situation nor do I care to figure it out now this long after the fact but in general I don't recall Kendall Briles being a big part of what transpired there and I don't feel comfortable crucifying the son for the sins of the father.

Let's judge Kendall for Kendall.

Ok let's do that. Kendal was on the coaching staff at Baylor and in as good a position as anyone to go to the head coach or discuss the matter with him and get him to do the right thing without any fear of repercussions. If he knew about any of the offenses (how could he not) then he can't be hired here. Haven't we dealt with enough investigations and questionable ethics?

58-37 as a head coach, won 10 games at bowling green and 12 games at eastern. Has an offensive identity as he runs Briles offense. Motivated recruiter and players really like him.
Hard to complain about Babers, but I'd like to see him get to at least 7 wins this year. Flash in the pan P5 seasons happen for at least a handful of coaches. But his mid major success is something not to be ignored (and the fact that cuse is basically us in the acc in the past 20 years). Then again maybe it's best to assess what I/the fan base want/expect in the short/medium term.

On a fourish year cycle:
2/3 bowls
1 season where we have 9ish wins (i.e. a real chance to compete for a shot in the B1G championship game)
The rest average somewhere in the 6 win range

I think that cycle could easily start within the next 4 years. I think Lovie has increased talent level year, though that doesn't say or really mean much; but digressing it shouldn't be the same hole Lovie's had to try and dig out of.

Ok let's do that. Kendal was on the coaching staff at Baylor and in as good a position as anyone to go to the head coach or discuss the matter with him and get him to do the right thing without any fear of repercussions. If he knew about any of the offenses (how could he not) then he can't be hired here. Haven't we dealt with enough investigations and questionable ethics?

Is this a question or a statement? Sounds like a statement, where you've already decided what you feel the answer should be. As such, there's nothing for me or anyone else to respond to.

Very poor way to approach things.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Chief Gritty Presents: Two completely contradictory thoughts about Dino Babers.

Yeah, people celebrated so much when we fired Mike Thomas, but that took a signed, sealed, delivered slam dunk hire and just flushed it down the toilet with no plan for going forward. It was a horrible mistake. But the DIA donors who won their war against Mike Thomas care shockingly little for how successful our football team is, so I guess they probably have no regrets.

Yeah. Dino Babers is 58 years old, 21-21 overall in 3+ years at Syracuse, and hasn't brought in a top 50 recruiting class there. They also don't look particularly good this year, 77th in F/+ which is below us. I was driving the Babers bandwagon 5-6 years ago (listen to the guy talk for five minutes and you're ready to run through a wall for him), but I don't see how that's some paradigm-shifting hire now, and if they struggle with the rest of their conference schedule the way it looks like they might, I'm not sure how interested I am at all.

Again, go back and look at that list of coaches teams managed to steal from other Power Five schools. It's not what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.