2019-20 Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coaching searches are my favorite season as an Illini fan haha

Can you confirm that Whitman is already working back channels? (I understand that ADs always have a list, but actually reaching out to get feelers is a whole different scenario)

Depending on what other jobs are available, I could see Fickell taking the Illini job. Not sure what he is making ($2.2M is what I saw but not sure if current) or if he has a buyout, but I think a million plus raise and chance to get back to the B1G might be enticing enough — especially now that tOSU is off the table. As bad as things have been at Illinois, I think there are upward signs — new facility, cupboard not bare as far as talent and overall recruiting has been trending up, and an AD who has been getting things done.

And if not Fickell, I think we’ll be able to hire a quality HC for those same reasons. Will it be the right guy? Who knows, but I just don’t think this job is as bad as some people seem to think it is. The dumpster fire that was Illinois football has been put out. Yeah it still my be smoldering a bit, but nothing that some asbestos gloves, hard work and vision can’t handle.

Last edited:

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I just don’t think this job is as bad as some people seem to think it is. The dumpster fire that was Illinois football has been put out. Yeah it still my be smoldering a bit, but nothing that some asbestos gloves, hard work and vision can’t handle.

The dirty little secret is that it was never really a dumpster fire, as evidenced by Dino Babers champing at the bit to take it with an interim AD and Chancellor, as well as Lovie Smith's willingness to take it when he seemed implausibly well-credentialed.

The idea that this is a job no one wants has a lot to do with the Beckman process, in which an AD who lacked institutional buy-in was casting about blindly in a market with a million other jobs open after firing a guy who had just made two straight bowl games with a roster whose talent was in obvious decline. Plus our facilities were at that point in horrible shape relative to our peers with no immediate plans to fix them. The expectations were too high for the resources available to meet them.

The opposite is the case now. And the situation is made even more appealing by the entrenched mediocrity of the Big Ten West. Come to Illinois and beat Kirk Ferentz a couple of times, and all of a sudden you're the next Oklahoma coach. That's a favorable proposition.

The dirty little secret is that it was never really a dumpster fire, as evidenced by Dino Babers champing at the bit to take it with an interim AD and Chancellor, as well as Lovie Smith's willingness to take it when he seemed implausibly well-credentialed.

The idea that this is a job no one wants has a lot to do with the Beckman process, in which an AD who lacked institutional buy-in was casting about blindly in a market with a million other jobs open after firing a guy who had just made two straight bowl games with a roster whose talent was in obvious decline. Plus our facilities were at that point in horrible shape relative to our peers with no immediate plans to fix them. The expectations were too high for the resources available to meet them.

The opposite is the case now. And the situation is made even more appealing by the entrenched mediocrity of the Big Ten West. Come to Illinois and beat Kirk Ferentz a couple of times, and all of a sudden you're the next Oklahoma coach. That's a favorable proposition.

It's not a dumpster fire job and no one should make it out to be but it also won't be the most attractive job open this cycle. That's the point I have been trying to emphasize.

We're not the ugliest girl at the dance but we're not the only girl on the floor either.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
it also won't be the most attractive job open this cycle.

Almost certainly not. But with Stoops and Meyer potentially plugging any elite jobs that spring open without causing further cascade, and maybe some of the guys that looked dead to rights finding a way to cling on, there's the potential for it to be a pretty quiet carousel, which is the opposite of what happened in 2011.

Or USC, Michigan, Tennessee, Florida State, Auburn and Virginia Tech could all come open and everything goes crazy. These things are hard to predict.

Deleted member 654622

D
That’s what I heard. He is not much into recruiting. However he appears to be better offensive line coach than McClain. Players said he was more demanding.
From the limited information available to us, I would say Luke has been more successful. There is a reason he is getting NFL jobs. However, not having the NFL draft worthy Nick Allegretti on the roster is going to make a difference. Especially when his replacement cant hold his block vs a defensive back! Bob is at least willing to leave the area code to recruit

Almost certainly not. But with Stoops and Meyer potentially plugging any elite jobs that spring open without causing further cascade, and maybe some of the guys that looked dead to rights finding a way to cling on, there's the potential for it to be a pretty quiet carousel, which is the opposite of what happened in 2011.

Or USC, Michigan, Tennessee, Florida State, Auburn and Virginia Tech could all come open and everything goes crazy. These things are hard to predict.

I would agree, this is the perfect synopsis for where things stand today.

If Gus Malzahn is out at Auburn, oh boy....

If you look at the bottom teams in each power 5 conference almost all have hired new coaches in last 2 years. Maybe the stars are aligning.

For the record, I think Lovie is not doing well, but I don’t think the season is over. I could see Rutgers, Purdue, and potentially northwestern wins. Especially if a quarterback, such as Isaiah, can get on the field and keep the offense on the field for any length of time.

With our current roster, we will be good next year. If the new coach can prevent too much turnover and add a class, we are in position to have a consistent bowl team moving forward. I would be be surprised to see some turnover if Lovie is let go

Have him at a podium at MS the next day.

(If we don't FSU or VT or Ole Miss surely will)

Unfortunately I think Gus would be more inclined to take any of those over Illinois. But, hey, maybe he will have tired of being at a place with high expectations.

For Fickell, obviously have no idea what he might be looking for, but not out of the question that Illinois job would rate pretty high among possible openings. For a guy who has never lived outside of Ohio i’d think a B1G HC job would be appealing. Will be interesting to see if Michigan job opens up if they’d have interest in him and he in them.

Just for yucks I checked out Cincy’s roster and they currently have 7 players from Illinois as well as two 2020 recruits. Not surprisingly looks like 3/4 of roster is from Ohio. They also had six transfers this year — 2 from OSU, and one each from Michigan, UConn, Alabama, and Duke.

Luke Fickell's Buyout

Fickell is still on his original contract, signed on Feb. 20, 2017, that runs through Dec. 31, 2022. After making $1.9 million in 2017 and $2 million in 2018, Fickell will earn $2.3 million this year and $2.4 million for the final three years of the deal.
Screen-Shot-2019-10-07-at-9.23.40-AM.png

Cinicinnati would owe Fickell $4.8 million should the school fire him this year, but if Fickell were to leave he would owe the school a scant $2.5 million.
Screen-Shot-2019-10-07-at-8.47.16-AM.png

https://footballscoop.com/news/look-luke-fickells-contract-buyout-cincinnati/

Last edited:
6-6 at Ohio State

As someone who lives in Columbus, I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on that season. They lost more than 25 players from previous year including their starting QB Pryor who decided very late to leave (was part of supplemental draft). That left them with a name I’m sure everyone remembers, former wak-on Joe Bauserman and then freshman Braxton Miller. Though fans talked a good game going into the season, most knew with Tressel leaving, all the youth and then Pryor leaving it was going to be a tough year. If I remember correctly they then had some injury problems. With all that I thought he did a good job and team played hard for him all year.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
As someone who lives in Columbus, I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on that season. They lost more than 25 players from previous year including their starting QB Pryor who decided very late to leave (was part of supplemental draft). That left them with a name I’m sure everyone remembers, former wak-on Joe Bauserman and then freshman Braxton Miller. Though fans talked a good game going into the season, most knew with Tressel leaving, all the youth and then Pryor leaving it was going to be a tough year. If I remember correctly they then had some injury problems. With all that I thought he did a good job and team played hard for him all year.

That was the year they came to Champaign when we were riding high at 6-0 and held onto the ball for what felt like 58 minutes just running Miller on a QB draw every single play. One of the most frustrating losses I can recall.

Yup, just looked up the box score. They attempted 4 passes, completing one, had 228 yards of total offense, and won 17-7. Ugh.

That was the year they came to Champaign when we were riding high at 6-0 and held onto the ball for what felt like 58 minutes just running Miller on a QB draw every single play. One of the most frustrating losses I can recall.

Yup, just looked up the box score. They attempted 4 passes, completing one, had 228 yards of total offense, and won 17-7. Ugh.
We find more ways to lose than most any team.

I remember it well. Had a good time talking up the Illini prior to game — only to have damn Buckeye fans get the last laugh.

As to that season, Miller was more RB than QB.

Conversation has really turned these last few days. I know the rumors are swirling, but what makes everyone seemingly confident Lovie will be let go?

I'm not happy with the (lack of) progress on the field, but I'm anxious about finding a replacement. I'd rather hang tight for a year and demonstrate our commitment to stability and professionalism rather than cut ties with Lovie and hire Beckman 2.0.

#1,000      
The road to 3-9 seems self evident. The defense is very bad and the offense is also very bad. Lovies fourth year. I really like Lovie but he isn't getting it done. No evidence at this point he will

Status
Not open for further replies.