2019-20 Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,026      
I trust Whitman in both his ability to sell the program and analyze how talented a HC is... I don't think we get into a Beckman situation based off of Whitman's talent to sell.
Sounds like Whitman can sell a furnace to the devil? ;)

#1,027      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
For those wanting to see Billy Napier in action, Louisiana plays Appalachian State tomorrow at 7:00pm (ESPN2).

#1,028      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
For those wanting to hire Chip Long, explain how he's ahead of every other candidate for you. He did great things (in one year) as Memphis OC. He helped right the ship at Notre Dame. But that one year before he arrived looks like an outlier to me. They were frequently around the 25th best offense in the country before he arrived, then 2016 hits and they regress. Digging through those games, their scoring offense seems strong except two games: NC State (they tried to play through Hurricane Matthew? both teams struggle to score), and Stanford (18th best defense that year). Since then, Long has steadied Notre Dame's offense back to their pre-2016 performance. Maybe this does enough to convince you that he's a top candidate (and he's not successful or experienced enough to be out of Illinois' grasp like a Dave Aranda?).

#1,029      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
That seems to be his focus given that that's where he's been for his entire career as a football coach, which consists of one season as a QB coach and FOUR GAMES as an offensive coordinator?

The thing I love so much about this is that if Dak Prescott throws a couple interceptions, Kellen Moore goes from "risky, outside the box hire for Illinois" to a joke by November.

It is true, by the way, that Sean McVay's success in a copycat league has made every baby-faced white guy with a handful of passing game ideas suddenly an NFL head coaching candidate. I think the way the college game ought to look at that trend is pretty well summed up by the fact that Kliff Kingsbury, the man who managed to go 5-7 with Patrick Mahomes throwing for 5,000 yards and 41 TD's, got fired by Texas Tech after amassing a 19-35 record in the Big XII, and was immediately hired as a head coach in the NFL.

There's being open minded, and then there's just being a sports radio meatball. We've drifted into the latter.

For me, Moore seems to be more of an exercise of what's the depth of coaches who (1) could be successful as Illinois' coach, and (2) would be interested if offered the job. For me, Moore falls under the could be successful, probably not interested. Even if he was interested, not sure he'd be high up on my interest level because, as you mentioned, his coaching experience is fairly thin, but as I mentioned, I feel like he's focused on sticking to the NFL because his current skillset seems to be prioritized by the NFL in the current times.

#1,030      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Looks like I'm the only one aboard the Billy Napier train.

Top 3 (in no order)
1. Billy Napier
2. Seth Littrell
3. Lance Leipold

Leipold seems to be fading fast. Littrell hasn't had the best of starts but he ran into surprisingly good Cal and SMU teams. He'll likely right the ship shortly. I'm starting to warm to the idea that Illinois could convince Fickell to take the job. My new top 3 (in no order).

1. Luke Fickell
2. Seth Littrell
3. Billy Napier

#1,031      

Deleted member 29907

D
Leipold seems to be fading fast. Littrell hasn't had the best of starts but he ran into surprisingly good Cal and SMU teams. He'll likely right the ship shortly. I'm starting to warm to the idea that Illinois could convince Fickell to take the job. My new top 3 (in no order).

1. Luke Fickell
2. Seth Littrell
3. Billy Napier
Looks like Fickell has, what, 5 sons -so if he takes the Lovie approach he'll bring all the assistants needed....

1570551539701.png

#1,034      
For me, Moore seems to be more of an exercise of what's the depth of coaches who (1) could be successful as Illinois' coach, and (2) would be interested if offered the job. For me, Moore falls under the could be successful, probably not interested. Even if he was interested, not sure he'd be high up on my interest level because, as you mentioned, his coaching experience is fairly thin, but as I mentioned, I feel like he's focused on sticking to the NFL because his current skillset seems to be prioritized by the NFL in the current times.

You probably can't show me more than a handful of better recruiters. There's point A.

#1,035      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
You probably can't show me more than a handful of better recruiters. There's point A.

Than Kellen Moore, never before a college coach in his life? What?

Are you guys pulling some sort of Truman Show prank on me here?

#1,036      
For those wanting to hire Chip Long, explain how he's ahead of every other candidate for you. He did great things (in one year) as Memphis OC. He helped right the ship at Notre Dame. But that one year before he arrived looks like an outlier to me. They were frequently around the 25th best offense in the country before he arrived, then 2016 hits and they regress. Digging through those games, their scoring offense seems strong except two games: NC State (they tried to play through Hurricane Matthew? both teams struggle to score), and Stanford (18th best defense that year). Since then, Long has steadied Notre Dame's offense back to their pre-2016 performance. Maybe this does enough to convince you that he's a top candidate (and he's not successful or experienced enough to be out of Illinois' grasp like a Dave Aranda?).

"ahead of every other candidate"? I don't think anybody at this point is *that* distinguished to merit that view right now. But in the pool of potential candidates, Chip Long deserves strong consideration. Brian Kelly needed a total reboot after a disastrous 2016 and Kelly was on the clock with the ND to fix things. Many felt Kelly was slipping and his offensive schemes were dated, tired and ineffective (plus Kelly was calling the plays). Chip came in and as a fresh new voice with updated offensive themes, ND's offense improved notably. Basically Kelly stepped aside and let Chip do his thing. At that high profile a program, and with that type of success, it's going to get attention on a national level and Chip Long's name is now out there for potential HC gigs. If I recall correctly, he might even have done some interviewing after last season, but I'd have to look that up.

Chip will get a head coaching gig, I'm sure of that. Whether it's for 2020 or somewhere further down the road remains to be seen. He's 36, a bright offensive mind and he's been at Illinois once before already. Certainly makes him an interesting candidate should the Illinois position be open.

#1,037      
Three recent examples of a new coach bounce at a downtrodden program for us to look to:

In 2011 James Franklin took over a Vandy team that had been 2-10 in each of the previous two years, and went 6-7 in Year 1.
In 2013 Steve Addazio took over Boston College that were 2-10 and 4-8 in the previous two years and went 7-6 in Year 1.
In 2017 Jeff Brohm took over Purdue that were 3-9 and 2-10 in the previous two years and went 7-6 in Year 1.

We're next.

Gritty and I don't always agree. But, the talent we have, right now, is sufficient to qualify for a bowl game (or as I've been arguing, be a 5 win team with a handful or plays away from being a 6 win team). Next year, with experience, and little turnover, we have enough talent (and the right schedule), to win 8 games.

Lovie's schemes are simplistic and when you have Hall of Fame or Pro Bowl level talent, it is easy to single out what needs to happen to make it work. College kids are not quite at that level. I haven't given up the belief that with an offense jolt (i.e., Williams entering at QB), we may still win 5 games, but this year has given me the willingness to say that Lovie's defense would not likely win at Illinois.

If we don't win 5 games and Whitman keeps Lovie for another year, I wouldn't be mad. But, I can't envision this scheme working without drawing much higher level talent. The only thing that would change my mind would be beating a ranked team, at this point.

#1,038      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
NC State (they tried to play through Hurricane Matthew? both teams struggle to score)

It's neither here nor there, but that was the dumbest offensive gameplan I've ever seen in my life. Probably the worst weather game I've ever seen, sheets of rain, howling wind, big parts of the field with legit ankle-deep water. ND, with better overall talent and a bunch of NFL linemen just kept having DeShone Kizer throw sideline-to-sideline spread touch timing route passes into a literal hurricane. He went 9 for 26. NC State, who couldn't do much either but at least ran the ball 51 times, won on a blocked punt recovery. Mind boggling.

#1,039      
Than Kellen Moore, never before a college coach in his life? What?

Are you guys pulling some sort of Truman Show prank on me here?

Discussion I quoted was related to Chip Long.

EDIT: Or maybe it wasn't, my apologies. I was referring to Long.

#1,041      
I think you quoted the wrong one ;)

Long's definitely a guy who can get players though.

Walking and chewing gum escapes me sometimes.

He's not a top 5 recruiter (Which most consider him) in my mind but he's close. And his reach is everywhere. He can recruit the Midwest, the East Coast, the south (Certainly around his home state), he's got his hooks deep into the HS scene in the Valley around Phoenix. We won't struggle to sign kids and that's huge. 2021 is arguably the most important class we'll have in a decade and a half.

#1,045      

1. Luke Fickell
2. Seth Littrell
3. Billy Napier

Bolded: Um, have you seen their schedule? If they get to 6 wins, it'll be by a limp and that's not going to endear him to Power 5 Programs.

Getting back to Lubbock was his best shot at a Power 5 job in the near term and he missed it.

#1,049      
I did that. I made a list of about 10 guys I liked for a coach. He wasn’t on the list but I said really outside the box hire. Apologies, as it has seemed the Moore talk got outta hand.
Not trying to be mean but the guy has been a coordinator for 5 games and has looked good against dumpster teams (Giants, Redskins, and Dolphins). Need to have patience with these guys. Not saying I don't think eventually it wouldnt happen, but after 5 games we should pump the brakes.

#1,050      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I’m warming up to Fickell. He checks off a lot of boxes.

He's the most obvious future Big Ten head coach currently working in the Group of Five or whatever they call it. Straight out of central casting.

(Free marketing advice: call it the Party of Five)

Status
Not open for further replies.