2019-20 Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,401      
Elaborate. Compared to what?
Compared to Lovie it would be an upgrade since he would put together a staff with college experience. But I think compared to Dino, Norvell, Chip, Hugh, or Seth it would be a bad hire. Of course it's all a crap shoot so who really knows.

#1,404      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Compared to Lovie it would be an upgrade since he would put together a staff with college experience. But I think compared to Dino, Norvell, Chip, Hugh, or Seth it would be a bad hire. Of course it's all a crap shoot so who really knows.
I've been quite on this, since I don't know anything about most of these coaches. However, you seem to have a pulse on this program and you have now, on a couple of occasions brought up Dino. Besides the rumor that he was ours 4 years ago until the academics messed it up, is there more smoke there?

#1,405      
I've been quite on this, since I don't know anything about most of these coaches. However, you seem to have a pulse on this program and you have now, on a couple of occasions brought up Dino. Besides the rumor that he was ours 4 years ago until the academics messed it up, is there more smoke there?
I don't know if there is smoke there, I just really like him and think he would entertain the thought of Illinois again. We have an experienced roster, new facilities, opportunity to win in his first year. I think we have a higher outlook than he would have at Cuse.

#1,407      

Deleted member 569417

D
Yes, exactly the opposite of what Thomas did to Bruce, team went on an 8 game losing streak, right after a tenuous lack of support. (I didn't look it up, but that is my memory).
Saying he'd evaluate the program at the end of the season is "tenuous lack of support'?

If that's enough to destroy the fabric of the team, I tend to think the sounder argument is that Bruce had already lost that team. And should have been fired years ago...

Still doesn't mean Thomas didn't suck. I just think people latching on to this narrative is silly. He made a standard issue AD statement on a radio show that every AD makes during a season that looks bad.

#1,408      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Re: Chip Long, just heard that he is very awkward and kind of just a weird person. They also said a lot of his recruiting looks good because Notre Dame is Notre Dame.

f
giphy.gif

#1,411      
I know he's been mentioned (though not real recently), but what are thoughts on Willie Fritz? Has taken him a little bit of time to turn Tulane around, but after a 9-15 record in first two years there (previous two seasons they had been 6-18) he was 7-6 (5-3 in conference) and went to bowl game last year and has them at 5-1 this year heading into big showdown with Memphis. Also looks like he's improved recruiting taking the average recruit rating from .7956 to .8339 thus far in 2020 class. That improvement is on par with what Lovie has done here. Don't really know much about him except he's been successful everywhere he's been -- though though stopss all seem to be primarily in South.

#1,412      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
what are thoughts on Willie Fritz?

Love him.

He spent a very long time being good but not amazing in D2. In the three steps up he's taken since, each has been an incredible coaching performance, the kind of resume where the harder you look, the more you see. The guy is a winner and an X's and O's wizard, and he has stated publicly he has a "burning desire" to move up the ladder in the profession.

Ole Miss should hire him. If they don't, we should seriously consider it. He'd take the job.

#1,415      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Rutgers is hot for Joe Moorhead, per Twitter.

Beautiful, they'll make a total mess of it, fail, make Moorhead's situation untenable at MSU, and we'll swoop in as the white knight. Bingo bango.

#1,417      

Deleted member 654622

D
How much money would it take to get Urban to come be a figure head here? Hey buddy, assemble a qualified staff, take a little more time off than you have in the past for your health, and we will still pay you top dollar. How much for him to NOT go to USC? He was getting 7.6 Mil last year at OSU I believe

#1,418      
How much money would it take to get Urban to come be a figure head here? Hey buddy, assemble a qualified staff, take a little more time off than you have in the past for your health, and we will still pay you top dollar. How much for him to NOT go to USC? He was getting 7.6 Mil last year at OSU I believe
I doubt enough money exists to entice Urban to come to Champaign.

#1,419      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

If Urban has any interest in going back to the coaching world, a school like USC will shower him with money like an official recruiting visit with Rick Pitino.

#1,421      

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL

I think Urban is such a workaholic that he wouldn't want to just be a figurehead.

#1,422      

Wise man once told me, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it".

#1,423      
Yes really.
The Ole Miss area still loves them some Hugh Freeze. He resurrected that program...granted with some gray area stuff. My son was living in Oxford at the time of Hugh Freeze and he said the NCAA set up camp in Oxford for 2 years. Tell me a university that would not get hammered if the NCAA set up camp for that long. Plus the NCAA gave anyone coming forward total immunity...(It was a definite witch hunt).

#1,424      
If Kirby loses to Alabama for a third straight season and misses the playoffs once again, I could see Urban going to UGA instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.