2019-20 Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,454      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I never said a decision had been made.
Lovie has 6 more games to influence this decision. If the previous 42 games are any indication, it should be an easy decision.

Actually, it should have been easy after the UConn game or the EMU game or Nebby or Minny or... Yeah, never mind, he'll be back.

#1,455      
Lovie has 6 more games to influence this decision. If the previous 42 games are any indication, it should be an easy decision.

Actually, it should have been easy after the UConn game or the EMU game or Nebby or Minny or... Yeah, never mind, he'll be back.

Gonna guess Whitman had already made up his mind at some point this season and it would take something astronomical like winning this weekend to move the needle back.

#1,456      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
This article contains an interesting discussion about how the high school coaches in New Jersey were miffed/annoyed at how the Chris Ash staff didn't do much to cultivate relationships with them. https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...content=nj_twitter_njdotcom&utm_medium=social

Thing is, literally every high school coach in football or basketball in America is Nick Irvin. They only want one thing, and it's more. More, more, more, no matter what the situation.

#1,457      
Thing is, literally every high school coach in football or basketball in America is Nick Irvin. They only want one thing, and it's more. More, more, more, no matter what the situation.

I'd be worried if HS coaches didn't push for their athletes at the next level, but yeah it's a little insane sometimes. My HS was about as awful at football as possible, and it's be pretty laughable if the HC from when I was in school went to Zook and said, "Listen, my guys couldn't play DIII ball but you not coming and checking for yourself is ridiculous."

#1,458      
I'm still not convinced. I know 0440 has some inside sources, but there is no way that decision is made right now with half the games to go and no press conference. If we were to lose to Rutgers (not entirely out of the realm of possibilities), there is literally no way they can keep him without completely destroying the program.

I'm convinced. He's proven reliable. Also, I have long said that Whitman is in deep on Lovie. The buyout is too big and Whitman is too big a believer to walk away.

#1,460      
I'm convinced. He's proven reliable. Also, I have long said that Whitman is in deep on Lovie. The buyout is too big and Whitman is too big a believer to walk away.
4 million isn't a big buyout. But I do think he wants Lovie to succeed so bad he is willing to die on the hill with him.

#1,462      
If Lovie is retained, season tickets drop 25% (including my 4) and we average 20,000 butts in seats next year. Is Whitman ok with that? That’s a empty stadium tv pic on the big ten network every Saturday. Big donors will be pounding on the door. How will the president of the university and board of trustees respond. He will go down with the ship and our football program will start completely over in 2021. That’s No way to bring in a new coach. Right now you could sell a great chance to retain some players who are about to be seniors.

#1,463      
If our guys were playing smart football and we could see them learning a system that is working, this would be very different with the same record. But instead we are seeing the same bad defense, coaching mistakes, turn overs and penalties. Offense has been bad, defense (taken over by our HC) has been historically awful. You can spin that any other way.

#1,464      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
4 million isn't a big buyout. But I do think he wants Lovie to succeed so bad he is willing to die on the hill with him.
That is a big risk. Does he know that he gets another bite at the apple, to hire a coach, whether it be this year or next year? I know he has done some good things, a lot, in fact. But having less than $30K in the stands and 1-2 wins/year in conference is not acceptable by any standard.

#1,465      
One informal definition of insanity is: "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". Josh Whitman is far from insane, but he has a serious deficit in judgement if he honestly thinks that Lovie might miraculously turn things around next season. We've seen enough, Josh. Pull the plug!

#1,466      
If our guys were playing smart football and we could see them learning a system that is working, this would be very different with the same record. But instead we are seeing the same bad defense, coaching mistakes, turn overs and penalties. Offense has been bad, defense (taken over by our HC) has been historically awful. You can spin that any other way.

You missed the post-game presser? :mad:

#1,470      

Deleted member 716187

D
Keeping Lovie would be a job losing mistake. I believe if we fire lovie we can have a winning season with a decent coach with the talent coming back, I also believe we may have more players transfer out if we keep Lovie than if he is fired, I believe keeping him will also hurt recruiting for next year as well. I really do not see a good reason to retain him at all.

#1,471      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
By the way, if we want to recruit the absolute heck out of Florida and can live with a guy who stinks as a coach (or maybe we can put a staff around him that mitigates that) Georgia OC James Coley would be your man.

But do they also water ski, have a phone that works in the shower, and constantly profess that "we'll clean things up for next week" at the post-game press conference?

#1,472      
Groce had made it rain in recruiting at a non-blue blood. It will be fun listening to everyone disagreeing with that, but that's why he got the job.

And he was a good recruiter! And basketball is different than football of course. But it just doesn't make a ton of intuitive sense to me that the first thing you're looking for in a football coach isn't whether they can coach football.

This argument has and always will be very much “Chicken and Egg”. I don’t see a scenario in which I would approve of someone who doesn’t check BOTH boxes. You have to understand situational football and clock management and you have to be able to recruit high end talent. If you can’t, you’re just not gonna get my stamp.

Notice I talked about situational football and clock management, no actual play calling or “Xs” and “Os”. That’s where the third real factor comes in, what type of staff can you hire around you? Equally important part of success at this level.

#1,474      
I’m not sure how he can watch the same games we have and respond the way he does. Can a guy with his experience really believe what he says?

Status
Not open for further replies.