2019 FIFA Women's World Cup Thread

Draw for next summer's Women's World Cup begins at 11AM CT and will air on FS2.

The U.S. is one of the 6 seeded sides along with hosts France, Germany, England, Canada, and Australia.

Here are the draw pots:

Pot 1
France (host)
USA
Germany
England
Canada
Australia

Pot 2
Netherlands
Japan
Sweden
Brazil
Spain
Norway

Pot 3
South Korea
China
Italy
New Zealand
Scotland
Thailand

Pot 4
Argentina
Chile
Nigeria
Cameroon
South Africa
Jamaica

Here's how the draw ended up:

Group A
France
South Korea
Norway
Nigeria

Group B
Germany
China
Spain
South Africa

Group C
Australia
Italy
Brazil
Jamaica

Group D
England
Scotland
Argentina
Japan

Group E
Canada
Cameroon
New Zealand
Netherlands

Group F
USA
Thailand
Chile
Sweden

The tournament will begin June 7th with France-South Korea in Paris. USA will play Thailand on June 11th in Reims.

U.S. women defeat Sweden 2:0 and win Group F.

Here are the Round of 16 match-ups:

Norway vs. Australia
England vs. Cameroon
France vs. Brazil
Spain vs. USA
Italy vs. China
Netherlands vs. Japan
Germany vs. Nigeria
Sweden vs. Canada

The Spain vs. USA match will air Monday at 11:00 AM CT on FS1.

U.S. women defeat Spain 2:1 with both goals coming on penalty kicks.

U.S. will face the hosts France on Friday afternoon.

The cheapest ticket prices on StubHub for the U.S.-France match are $681 with the most expensive going for $11,398. Most tickets in between on the site are somewhere in the $2,000-$3,000 range.

Need to perform better against France.
Definitely. If they don't bring their A game the rest of the way, they won't defend. But they seem to have such a healthy team dynamic, I'm hoping they'll be resilient. These ladies are fun to watch, and I think Coach Ellis knows how to adjust. Fingers crossed on Friday.

Italy defeated China 2:0 and the Netherlands defeated Japan 2:1 on a penalty kick in the 90th minute. It is the Dutch women's first win in the knockout stage.

Here are the quarterfinal match-ups:

Norway vs. England
France vs. USA
Italy vs. Netherlands
Germany vs. Sweden

For the first time ever, there will not be an Asian side in the quarterfinals and Italy makes their first appearance in the quarterfinals. The U.S. is also the only non-European side remaining.

The U.S.-France match will air on FOX on Friday at 2:00 PM CT.

With the Netherlands and Sweden's win today, we are down to the semifinals.

Here are the semifinal match-ups:

England vs. USA
Netherlands vs. Sweden

The England-USA match will air on FOX on Tuesday at 2:00 PM CT.

One other quick note. The two semifinal winners in Lyon will play in the same stadium for the final next Sunday. The third place match will take place in Nice.

The BBC coverage made it sound like Ellis had really won over those who had criticized her for starting Ertz instead of Horan. And that was before Horan came on and provided fresh legs that FRA couldn't match.

They also said it was basically a clinical beat down. The US pushed everyone on attack to start the game, and kept at it until their first score. Once they had that lead, they switched to a pure counterstrike offense that sat deep and only attacked forward when the ball came out. They scored on one of those counterstrikes, too, despite FRA absolutely dominating time of possession during that phase of the game. Then once France did score, the US went to a full defensive stance. All eleven saturating the defensive end and playing with discipline so no space ever opened up to attack with strength. I think FRA only got one shot on goal during that phase...maybe not even.

England has been playing great. If USA wins this tournament, it certainly won't be from sneaking in the back door. Though Germany is out, having lost to a Swedish team we already beat during Group play (2-1).

VAR was good to the US today. The girls seemed to be just a little lackadaisical at that time.

So is it the Netherlands or Sweden again? I generally don't like seeing the same team twice in a tournament. It makes me nervous.

The other semifinal is Wednesday (probably at 2pm), and the Dutch are favored. We already beat Sweden once, so I hope we get the Netherlands for the finals. Then, if the ladies win, they'll have beaten the host country team, and the second, third and fourth place teams all on the way to the Cup. That would be one heck of a statement.

The BBC coverage used the word 'clinical' in today's win, too. They've already beaten the two other top teams expected to compete for the finals (FRA & ENG), and the third team with those expectation (GER) was previously knocked out by Sweden. If they keep doing exactly what they're doing they should win.

Oh, and they've tied their own record for most goals scored in a world cup finals tourney, with one more game to play.

That was incredibly fun. What a team. They outscored their opponents by a total of 26-3 over the whole WWC finals tournament. Yeah, that's a record, too.

I think Rapinoe's comments were spot on, though the way they were reported were for max clicks, of course. Her bottom line was It's the World Cup Final; why would the same organization schedule competing events on that day? They don't for the men, so why are they doing not one, but TWO other events on the same day that the women play?! That's insane. I think she's absolutely right, particularly when FIFA claims they want to expand the WWC field to 32 teams. There isn't enough quality for 32 teams yet, because the money hasn't flowed into the women's game long enough to build strong national programs across the world. That's the whole point behind Rapinoe's argument, first the money has to flow, then you'll have a 32 team field, and the payoff will be worth it.

Certainly what this WWC showed is that there's demand. That means there's a lot more money which can be made. Invest in growth.