2019 Fighting Illini Football Scholarship Grid

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Thanks, Hoppy, You are correct and I was actually considering that. But a key difference is that the guys voluntarily taking a redshirt can still play this year, while the transfers and medical redshirts are out, or at least out for the rest of the season. Is that important to distinguish, or would you rather see Redshirt for the first cell and the name in the last? It's easy enough to change in my macro, so I can go either way.

I don’t want to speak for the group so I’ll go with what other people want if it outweighs my opinion, but I like seeing their name under the years where they have the most active eligibility (if that makes sense).

So while Griffin Moore can still play this year, he will now be here until 2023. The thing I like about moving the names, is that it shows who will be here and how long.

Anyway, it’s just a preference. I can easily interpret it how you have it so no need to change. :thumb:

Updated grid based on Saturday's participation chart and Hoppy's suggestion. The partially filled Available redshirt cells will be either 1/5 or 2/5ths unfilled, based on whether the player needs to sit one or two games in order to treat 2019 as a redshirt season.

One thing I missed in the last update is the effect of players redshirting this year on the total projected available scholarships. Changing the treatment of 2019 redshirts per Hoppy's suggestion automatically fixed that. :)

2019ScholarshipGrid.png

Lovie brought up something in his presser that I hadn't considered, a potential 6th year for Dre Brown.

That would alleviate a lot of concern about the offense next year, especially if Bhebhe is back, too, and Epstein can get and stay healthy again.

It would obviously be a big retain, as Dre brings so many qualities to the offense/team that are hard to replace. That said, if he didn't apply, I still feel very comfortable with the RB room. Chase Brown is legitimately intriguing.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
It would obviously be a big retain, as Dre brings so many qualities to the offense/team that are hard to replace. That said, if he didn't apply, I still feel very comfortable with the RB room. Chase Brown is legitimately intriguing.
Agree Chase is intriguing. We'll be a lot younger in the RB group, though, without Dre. Maybe not as big a concern for that position, though, as it would be for others.

I can't confirm or deny but he wasn't on the list as of Monday:

https://fightingillini.com/news/201...k-illinois-vs-northwestern.aspx?path=football

Saturday will mark the final game at Memorial Stadium for 17 Fighting Illini. Seniors Nolan Bernat, Dre Brown, Reggie Corbin, Trenard Davis, Stanley Green, Dele Harding, Kenyon Jackson, Jamal Milan, Tymir Oliver, Richie Petitbon, Caleb Reams, Bobby Walker and Justice Williams, plus RS juniors Kurt Gavin, Brandon Jones, Cam Miller and Griffin Palmer, will be recognized prior to the game.

Interesting that they are honoring Griffin Palmer and Kurt Gavin who are RS JRs who could come back next year. I guess they aren't coming back? If that's the case then we will have at least two more scholarships available for the Class of 2020.

Also, Cam Miller has another year of eligibility but I guess he isn't coming back either. Brandon Jones has already been moved to a medical scholarship.
And down to 24 projected scholarships for the class of 2021. (y)

2019ScholarshipGrid.png

It's been reported that Shogbonyo is taking part in Sr Day festivities so he may be gone. Also on the walk on list Jake Stover I think was forced to retire from football so won't be with team next year
Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't heard that about Jake Stover. That's a shame. I assume that's why he only played in the first game. When these can be verified I'll make the change to the grid.

Grid updated based on today's participation chart. Four players can treat 2019 as a redshirt year if they don't play in the bowl game: Chase Brown, Kyron Cumby, Keith Randolph Jr. and Nick Walker.

2019ScholarshipGrid.png

Are we sure Ayo is moving on or did he simply walk with the rest of the seniors?
The announcement said they were being recognized with this being their final game at Memorial Stadium, so I take it to mean they are all moving on. There are plenty of other guys who were in the same class as Ayo with another year of eligibility who didn't walk. And I would also be surprised if Dre Brown returns.

The announcement said they were being recognized with this being their final game at Memorial Stadium, so I take it to mean they are all moving on. There are plenty of other guys who were in the same class as Ayo with another year of eligibility who didn't walk. And I would also be surprised if Dre Brown returns.

More than fair but I do think it’s a bit speculative, no? Neither the staff nor the player has said either Ayo or Dre won’t return. We might be a little cautious with our thoughts on this one even though, again, what you’re saying is more than fair.

More than fair but I do think it’s a bit speculative, no? Neither the staff nor the player has said either Ayo or Dre won’t return. We might be a little cautious with our thoughts on this one even though, again, what you’re saying is more than fair.
fightingillini.com, the official site of the University of Illinois Division of Intercollegiate Athletics, stated both players were playing their last game at Memorial Stadium. I don't think that's speculative. Dre Brown said he was flattered that the staff wants him to come back, but what's the advantage for him? With the career of an NFL running back is short as it is, I can't believe any team would want him shortening his career in college, and I believe a shot at the NFL is the only reason he would consider it.

Fair enough.

As for Brown, the advantage is plainly obvious. As of today, he has no legitimate NFL Draft resume. The kid won’t be drafted. If he comes back, maybe he will. Older backs (23-24) have been selected plenty of times. The concern isn’t age, it’s usage and Dre has but 150 CAREER carries at the collegiate level.

If he leaves, I pray it’s not because he has eyes on the next level. That would be a grave mistake from a financial stand point.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Fair enough.

As for Brown, the advantage is plainly obvious. As of today, he has no legitimate NFL Draft resume. The kid won’t be drafted. If he comes back, maybe he will. Older backs (23-24) have been selected plenty of times. The concern isn’t age, it’s usage and Dre has but 150 CAREER carries at the collegiate level.

If he leaves, I pray it’s not because he has eyes on the next level. That would be a grave mistake from a financial stand point.
Not to mention, with Corbin gone and Epstein's continued health questionable, there is a good chance of him being the main featured back next year, on what should be the best team we'll have seen in 13 years. That could certainly give him a few good looks by NFL teams.

Matt Judd is officially in the Transfer Portal
Thanks for the heads up. I see he isn't listed on the roster on fightingillini.com anymore, so I'll take him off on the next update.