2019 Fighting Illini Football Scholarship Grid

Awesome, thanks for the explanation. I’m tracking now!

What was throwing me off was that our commits didn’t have a number associated with them yet.
Yes, and that's the advantage of rbachhuber's basketball grid. However, for football, I thought it was more important to include the position, which pretty much left the commits having to be on a separate line.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Yes, and that's the advantage of rbachhuber's basketball grid. However, for football, I thought it was more important to include the position, which pretty much left the commits having to be on a separate line.

Well it’s an awesome product and many thanks for keeping it updated!

What is Oladipo's status?
Still suspended as far as I know.

By the way, I don't think anyone reported on IL that Chase Brown was granted a waiver by the NCAA which allowed him to play this year. It was announced an hour before the Michigan game, so it's old news, but I was wondering how he was playing. (I didn't even know he had applied for a waiver.)

Still suspended as far as I know.

By the way, I don't think anyone reported on IL that Chase Brown was granted a waiver by the NCAA which allowed him to play this year. It was announced an hour before the Michigan game, so it's old news, but I was wondering how he was playing. (I didn't even know he had applied for a waiver.)

Thanks. A change in that status would make things here a little interesting.

It was talked about a little in the game thread that week. Almost rather he didn't get it, would have eliminated the urge to burn his redshirt.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Thanks. A change in that status would make things here a little interesting.

It was talked about a little in the game thread that week. Almost rather he didn't get it, would have eliminated the urge to burn his redshirt.

Although I'd love to get an extra year out of him, my guess is he wants to finish at the same time as Sydney.

Although I'd love to get an extra year out of him, my guess is he wants to finish at the same time as Sydney.
What about Dre Brown? Didn't he lose two years to injury in which he never played? Isn't that one of the predicates for being granted a sixth year? Of course, I understand he has a family now, so he may just want to move on to making a living.

Sure. There are a total of 85 scholarships available, fully allocated in 2019. There are actually 8, not 7, blank cells, plus 4 "Available redshirt" cells to include for a total of 12 players leaving. (At this point in the season, I don't believe any of the seniors actually have the redshirt available anymore, but I find it useful to keep the designation just to know what class they came in.) Subtracting the 8 commits (they don't have a scholarship #) from the 12 leaves you with 4 available scholarships. Now you know why I added a formula at the bottom! It will automatically adjust when I add or remove rows.
I must be missing something ILL_INI. You have 8 open spots, 4 redshirts available that weren't taken and 10 current commits and transfers THAT ARE ALREADY INCLUDED in the grid for next year. That would seem to indicate that we have 11 scholarships yet to give for 2020, taking one away for the scholarship just given to Navarro (and deservedly so).

Yet everyone seems to be saying we only have 4 schollies yet to give in 2020. What am I missing here?

I must be missing something ILL_INI. You have 8 open spots, 4 redshirts available that weren't taken
So far so good. There are 12 players leaving.
and 10 current commits and transfers THAT ARE ALREADY INCLUDED in the grid for next year.
There are two transfers who are already on scholarship for 2019. They are part of the 85 and you will see that they have a scholarship # (first column). (As an aside, Chase Brown was given a waiver mid-season and his Transfer redshirt designation for 2019 should be changed.)

The key part you are missing is that the 8 commits are included in the grid, but they do not have a scholarship number. So twelve are giving up a schollie and eight are taking one leaving the staff with just four scholarships left to award.

As mentioned at the top of this page, having commits take up a separate line on the grid and not be counted as part of the 85 is one of the shortcomings compared to rbachhuber's basketball grid. But I felt it was more important to include the position in the grid.
That would seem to indicate that we have 11 scholarships yet to give for 2020, taking one away for the scholarship just given to Navarro (and deservedly so).

Yet everyone seems to be saying we only have 4 schollies yet to give in 2020. What am I missing here?
Navarro was given a scholarship, but that means someone else does not have one, or the team would be above the 85 player cap. There are still 4 scholarships to offer.

Grid updated with some much needed housekeeping: all Seniors have burned their 5th year of eligibility, Chase Brown received a waiver on his transfer, Donny Navarro earned a scholarship, and although no official announcement, I have to agree with Greensboro, Illiniboss33 , DrewD007 and others who think Bobby Roundtree has to be on a medical exemption scholarship, which the NCAA allows athletic departments to award to injured players without having them count towards the scholarship limit.

2019ScholarshipGrid.png

Is there a decent tracker anywhere for redshirt status for this season? As we approach our final 3 games, I'd like to know where we might be able to play of the young guys as we move forward.

Deleted member 654622

D
Wellm that sucks. More games played for a few guys than I had thought.
I am interested in seeing what they do with Randolph. Would be great to redshirt him, but not sure they can afford to keep him on the sideline

I am interested in seeing what they do with Randolph. Would be great to redshirt him, but not sure they can afford to keep him on the sideline

Betiku has returned to practice, so if he stays healthy we should be deep enough to keep the redshirt on Randolph. If the staff chooses to do so, that is

Deleted member 654622

D
Betiku has returned to practice, so if he stays healthy we should be deep enough to keep the redshirt on Randolph. If the staff chooses to do so, that is
I would tend to agree with you here. But the way they like to rotate their D lineman (which I like), as thin as we are currently at D tackle, if they have Carney start taking snaps in the middle again..... Let me just say I could see him playing.

I wonder how they project him out. He is already a thick freshman. Do they see him as a D tackle in the future?

Deleted member 656517

D
I would tend to agree with you here. But the way they like to rotate their D lineman (which I like), as thin as we are currently at D tackle, if they have Carney start taking snaps in the middle again..... Let me just say I could see him playing.

I wonder how they project him out. He is already a thick freshman. Do they see him as a D tackle in the future?
Imo I see him sticking at d-end, and them burning his redshirt as well. Okapala’s the one who will end up a d-tackle if he’s not there already.

Deleted member 654622

D

I did forget to add that Jamal Woods is not practicing yet as well, as an add on to the thin D line depth

New commit = new grid! :D

I also added something special just to confuse everyone: Available redshirt cells are now partially filled depending on how many games they can play and still redshirt this year.
  • Completely filled in cells represent players who are redshirting this year.
  • Unfilled cells are for players who can't redshirt this year.
  • Partially filled in cells represent how many games they have to sit. Each Available redshirt cell can be divided into 5 (I'm planning ahead for next year, folks), and there are three games remaining. This week, each partially filled cell will be 1/5, 2/5 or 3/5 unfilled, representing how many games the player has to sit in order to redshirt this year. It's sort of like a magic number. As examples, if Isaiah Williams sits one more game, Nick Fedanzo sits two games, and Chase Brown sits all three remaining games, they will all be able to redshirt this year.
o_O

2019ScholarshipGrid.png

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
So once their redshirt cell on the right is filled up, they have redshirted?

Griffin Moore, for example, has sat out enough games to redshirt so his redshirt cell is filled in.

Would it then be useful to shift his name over to that cell (along with his other names all shifting one cell to the right) and make the first cell on his line one that says “Redshirt” like you’ve done for transfer redshirts and medical redshirts?

Just a suggestion. Love the grid/updates!

So once their redshirt cell on the right is filled up, they have redshirted?

Griffin Moore, for example, has sat out enough games to redshirt so his redshirt cell is filled in.

Would it then be useful to shift his name over to that cell (along with his other names all shifting one cell to the right) and make the first cell on his line one that says “Redshirt” like you’ve done for transfer redshirts and medical redshirts?

Just a suggestion. Love the grid/updates!
Thanks, Hoppy, You are correct and I was actually considering that. But a key difference is that the guys voluntarily taking a redshirt can still play this year, while the transfers and medical redshirts are out, or at least out for the rest of the season. Is that important to distinguish, or would you rather see Redshirt for the first cell and the name in the last? It's easy enough to change in my macro, so I can go either way.