2019 NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the separate thread.

For Ayo to get drafted this year he will have to play much more consistent in the half court and start knocking down more wide open 3’s at a higher clip. Potential is there, but he lacks a few tools in his bag right now. For him to enter and get drafted in 2nd round would be a huge mistake.

THT is already NBA ready physically. Watched him the other night and if he was 2 inches taller he would have been a blue blood.

Unless there is major drama at UK that nobody knows about with KW he has an open door to the starting five next year as three of their SG/SF look to go in first round per most mocks. Sucks he moved out east as if he stayed in Chicago I think we would have had a better chance.

Can’t believe they have Reddish over RJ in this one?

CU Expat
Chicago
For Ayo to get drafted this year he will have to play much more consistent in the half court and start knocking down more wide open 3’s at a higher clip. Potential is there, but he lacks a few tools in his bag right now. For him to enter and get drafted in 2nd round would be a huge mistake.
It still comes down to his lack of lift for me. I just think there are too many NBA GMs that will get his measurables (25" vertical prior to the season) and be scared off. Ayo is crafty, but I just don't think he has the range or playmaking ability to overshadow that yet.

Just like every other college player, Ayo should leave if he's a no-doubt first rounder. That gives you two years guaranteed to prove you belong on an NBA roster. It's a very difficult road for guys that don't get picked in the first round, and likely means significant time in the D League or overseas. And once that happens, you're quickly shelved as GMs salivate over the next crop of up-and-coming 19 year old college players.

Yea I'd take Barrett over Reddish, but I think it's Reddish's size that intrigues at the NBA level. I'm more surprised by Morant at No. 2. I know he's been unreal, but as a Bulls fan, I'd be disappointed if they took him over Barrett (or to a lesser extent, Reddish).

Forgottonia
Thanks for the separate thread.

THT is already NBA ready physically. Watched him the other night and if he was 2 inches taller he would have been a blue blood.

Unless there is major drama at UK that nobody knows about with KW he has an open door to the starting five next year as three of their SG/SF look to go in first round per most mocks. Sucks he moved out east as if he stayed in Chicago I think we would have had a better chance.

I agree with you, but it's interesting that most recruiting analysts I was hearing a year ago thought Ayo was the better pro prospect and THT would be a 4 year player. Of course that could still happen.

That's a fairly recent update. NBADraft.net hadn't had Ayo on the 2019 or 2020 mock up until then. Really hope he stays another year or two. He could be lottery pick and in a position to contribute. If he comes out this year, he'll be at the end of the bench indefinitely and by no fault of his own. NBA is just full of grown a## men

I wish Ayo all the best when he turns to the NBA. Imo he really needs to drastically improve his shot since today's game is so perimeter oriented. I think we may be drinking too much kool aid to think he is a first round pick this year or even next unless he really improves his shooting consistentcy and mechanics. He certainly can become a first round pick.I dont see him ever as a lottery pick. Lottery picks have skill but are usually explosive athletes. I cant recall PGs that were lottery picks that couldnt create their own shot and knock it down because of thier skill and elite athletic ability. Either by beingvshifty and quick like Dwill or Trey Burke or explosive like DRose. I havent seen that yet from Ayo. I hope Ayo proves me wrong.

Ayo could eventually be a first round pick, but he’s not there yet. He’s got a good basketball IQ, but his athleticism is hardly off the charts. His jump shot also needs to develop before we start talking about the first round.

Winged Warrior
I wish Ayo all the best when he turns to the NBA. Imo he really needs to drastically improve his shot since today's game is so perimeter oriented. I think we may be drinking too much kool aid to think he is a first round pick this year or even next unless he really improves his shooting consistentcy and mechanics. He certainly can become a first round pick.I dont see him ever as a lottery pick. Lottery picks have skill but are usually explosive athletes. I cant recall PGs that were lottery picks that couldnt create their own shot and knock it down because of thier skill and elite athletic ability. Either by beingvshifty and quick like Dwill or Trey Burke or explosive like DRose. I havent seen that yet from Ayo. I hope Ayo proves me wrong.
No one would have said Deron would be a lottery pick his freshman year. No one. Deron couldn't get to the rim and finish like Ayo is showing already.
Deron may have been a better passer his freshman year, but not by a huge stretch. Ayo has an ability to get to the rim and finish that will only get better next year, and will probably be unstoppable if he's around for his junior year.

If you are going to compare, you have to compare at the same juncture. If Ayo continues at this rate for three years, just as Deron did, he will be All B1G, a Wooden candidate, and a for sure lottery pick.

Los Angeles
Ayo's most marketable attribute to an NBA team is his projection as a perimeter defender.

Edit to include: I totally buy him as a legit first round prospect, and I'm an NBA junkie.

IMHO, Ayo is a fringe first rounder this year. His handles, vision and basketball IQ are above average (not quite elite); his outside shooting and strength are probably below average (for an NBA draft selection). A year in the weight room and shooting two hours a day could significantly improve his draft position.

No one would have said Deron would be a lottery pick his freshman year. No one. Deron couldn't get to the rim and finish like Ayo is showing already.
Deron may have been a better passer his freshman year, but not by a huge stretch. Ayo has an ability to get to the rim and finish that will only get better next year, and will probably be unstoppable if he's around for his junior year.

If you are going to compare, you have to compare at the same juncture. If Ayo continues at this rate for three years, just as Deron did, he will be All B1G, a Wooden candidate, and a for sure lottery pick.
First, Deron was a far superior passer. I believe he led the big ten in actual conference games. People were talking early about his court awareness while recognizing his limitations on offense.

Second, the reason why people are making comparisons on freshmen years is because some people are talking about Ayo leaving after this season. You quoted another poster who said exactly that. I'm curious, do you agree or disagree on whether Ayo is on track to be a first round pick this year?

First, Deron was a far superior passer. I believe he led the big ten in actual conference games. People were talking early about his court awareness while recognizing his limitations on offense.

Second, the reason why people are making comparisons on freshmen years is because some people are talking about Ayo leaving after this season. You quoted another poster who said exactly that. I'm curious, do you agree or disagree on whether Ayo is on track to be a first round pick this year?
Who was the better player?
Deron.

Who had the better freshman year?
Ayo.

Deron was regarded as the second best player on his high school team, He had huge leaps in both his sophmore and junior seasons for Illinois.

Does the NBA draft based on potential for guards? I assume they do that more for big men. If they draft based on potential does a freshman have to be as good as a sophomore? Or a sophomore as good as a junior? The logic being the junior has logged two additional years in which he has demonstrated his potential and therefore the ceiling is not as high for him as for a freshman. Even if a freshman must sit for a couple of years, does the NBA feel that a high potential freshman would be better off spending two years working on his game under professional guidance or at an NCAA school? Also is there less competition for a high potential freshman than for a "proven" junior or senior? Is it easier to draft the high potential freshman if not everyone is seeing the same potential?

In 2020 he'll be a late 1st round pick and maybe get a 2-4 year non guaranteed contract.

In 2021 he'll be a lottery pick with a guaranteed contract worth millions more. See Deron Williams.
If the logic is that guys get better with time and move up the draft board, that's just not the case. GMs already project where they think a guy will be, and if you lose ground on that projection, you move down or out, and if you show yourself to be better than that projection, you'll move up. I suspect that if you got an average of where each team has him, he's somewhere in the second round...maybe someone has him in the first, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's also well into the second. If you're saying you believe he'll exceed those projections, than yeah, he can move up a lot.
I think GMs are already getting glowing reports on his length and open court play. That's got him in the discussion. His playmaking has been better, but I think that and ball handling are things he'd benefit from improving. Some of my perception may be based on the early play where guys weren't executing the offense, and therefore no one looked good at playmaking. Ayo's body is lean, but skill will usually override those concerns. I've not seen much of a mid-range from him (admittedly haven't watched as closely as some seasons), and I'm not seeing the kind of inside-out game or ability to create that gets guys into the first round. He's close though.

When I watch him in the open court, I don't know what move he's going to do, but I do know he's money (metaphorically speaking). And his dribble penetration isn't too far behind. I expect we'll be on pins and needles going into the offseason, waiting on his decision. I really wish him luck. As much as we'd be better off with him next year, anytime a guy is likely first round/guaranteed, he has to do what's best for him. It'll be good to have him in the NBA to root for, whenever that may be.

Winged Warrior

I quoted that post because it seemed the comparisons were being made to Deron and DRose knowing what those two eventually developed into, specifically with Deron. DRose was a different level of athlete from the beginning.

I was trying to compare them at the same point as freshman. If you believe Deron was significantly better in any aspects of his game as a freshman (I agree his court awareness and passing ability were better) then it's odd to me that anyone would disagree that if you put Ayo on the same path (and assume he improves similarly to Deron in three years) he will be a top 10 pick.
Deron averaged one more assist per game in his freshman year than Ayo is averaging currently. Ayo is averaging over twice the PPG than DWill.

Sorry if I was confusing, and all of this is of course subject to the rest of the draft class and the needs of NBA lottery teams.

I think Ayo could be a late first rounder this year if a team sees the need, if the makeup of the draft class dictates, and a team has a development plan for him. I just think he would leave a crap ton of money on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.