2019 NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Los Angeles
Which is why the front office makes the picks. If it were only "win now", that would be a terrible way to draft players, and lead a team to being a perennial cellar dweller. You get value in the draft, and usually it's only teams that are in position to make a deep run that are willing to trade away their future.
Also known as the Tom Thibodeau era in Minnesota.

If you'd have told me the Myers Leonard would have a better NBA career than James Augustine, I'd have thought you are crazy, but a lot of it is just getting yourself into the right situation.
I don't see that as surprising at all, stats were about the same for last year at Illinois, but Leonard made a tremendous jump from Fr to So, so there was more potential upside to be had from Leonard, while Augustine started much better and growth was slower. Factor in the extra 3" & 20+ pounds, that Portland made Leonard a lottery and had to stick with him for awhile, and neither showed much 3 shot potential, but probably more of a problem for Augustine at a 4, than Leonard at a 5. Augie was a really good player for us, but I didn't really see Augustine as an NBA player.

IMHO, Ayo is a fringe first rounder this year. His handles, vision and basketball IQ are above average (not quite elite); his outside shooting and strength are probably below average (for an NBA draft selection). A year in the weight room and shooting two hours a day could significantly improve his draft position.
If he's drafted this year it's based on potential, not because he can come in and contribute right away for an NBA team. There are too many quality PG's (and SG's) in the NBA right now. If he got drafted he's probably stuck on the end of the bench and never gets to see the floor. Improving via practice enough to get on the floor consistently seems unlikely.

I'd love to be wrong and see him be an NBA stud as a one-and-done, but I really think he needs at least another year (possibly 2). Hopefully the improvement he'd make in college actually playing games against quality opponents get him to where he can be an NBA starter or at least a regular rotation player and contributor.

If you have a guaranteed multi-million dollar contract staring you in the face, turning it down because it doesn't also guarantee major minutes is not the financially wise thing to do. I desperately want Ayo to stay, but that is for the good of the team, and not for what is best for his professional future.

If you have a guaranteed multi-million dollar contract staring you in the face, turning it down because it doesn't also guarantee major minutes is not the financially wise thing to do. I desperately want Ayo to stay, but that is for the good of the team, and not for what is best for his professional future.
It may not be “best” fot his professional future to get drafted, never really play, and fade to obscurity after one year.

I think it’s clear how competitive he is and how much he loves this game. I don’t think he’s just looking for a short-term windfall that he (in part) lucked into because of a weak draft.

He ultimately may go (risk of injury, etc.), and I think none of us would blame him. But a multi million dollar contract won’t be the main motivator.

I know very little about the NBA, but any team that gives him a multi-million dollar guaranteed contract should also be able to give him whatever additional training he might need. Unless the combine tells him he is a sure thing to be drafted in the first round, I think and hope he will stay. But sure things don't come along all the time, and if he is a sure thing it will be very hard for him to stay.

His jumper is streaky but not promising. The NBA three is a different beast. His form isnt good and what I think is weird about Ayo shooting from range is he actually seems to shoot better on the move or jumping forward. I think we can be a first rounder but isnt the type if athlete and it shooter to be lottery pick. When I think of those that have been they could create there on shot and or really shoot from deep.

W
I don't see that as surprising at all, stats were about the same for last year at Illinois, but Leonard made a tremendous jump from Fr to So, so there was more potential upside to be had from Leonard, while Augustine started much better and growth was slower. Factor in the extra 3" & 20+ pounds, that Portland made Leonard a lottery and had to stick with him for awhile, and neither showed much 3 shot potential, but probably more of a problem for Augustine at a 4, than Leonard at a 5. Augie was a really good player for us, but I didn't really see Augustine as an NBA player.
Weber was ab idiot when it came to wasting the most gifted big man the Illini have had since the 70's. It still ticks me off Augustine was surrounded with skilled players and couldnt touch what Myers should have dine at Illinois with a better coach.

If you have a guaranteed multi-million dollar contDHe us goodract staring you in the face, turning it down because it doesn't also guarantee major minutes is not the financially wise thing to do. I desperately want Ayo to stay, but that is for the good of the team, and not for what is best for his professional future.
He is a good young talent. Do you really think other people that arent wearing orange and blue look at him and think he is a for sure 1st round pick? Because if he isnt then no way should her turn pro. Especailly if he feels he can be a lottery pick in 2 or 3 years.

Illini optimist
Charleston
His jumper is streaky but not promising. The NBA three is a different beast. His form isnt good and what I think is weird about Ayo shooting from range is he actually seems to shoot better on the move or jumping forward. I think we can be a first rounder but isnt the type if athlete and it shooter to be lottery pick. When I think of those that have been they could create there on shot and or really shoot from deep.
Trent shoots from way outside sometimes.

If he's drafted this year it's based on potential, not because he can come in and contribute right away for an NBA team. There are too many quality PG's (and SG's) in the NBA right now. If he got drafted he's probably stuck on the end of the bench and never gets to see the floor. Improving via practice enough to get on the floor consistently seems unlikely.

I'd love to be wrong and see him be an NBA stud as a one-and-done, but I really think he needs at least another year (possibly 2). Hopefully the improvement he'd make in college actually playing games against quality opponents get him to where he can be an NBA starter or at least a regular rotation player and contributor.
The highlighted above seems to be a common opinion, but is there anything to support that?

The highlighted above seems to be a common opinion, but is there anything to support that?
I just started poking around.

Allen Crabbe was drafted in 2013. First pick in second round. Development league to start. 15 games 1st season. 51 second. 81 in third season. scored 13 a game last year. Clearly he improved over time. There's got to be many examples like that.

Bottom line is that if he's got the tools and his willing to put in the work, I think any player can improve given the time and resources the NBA provides.

why would 30 games or so in college outweigh practicing with/against WAY better guards every day, NBA level traning/nutrition, year round development with laswer foucs on basketball (no class, etc) from a development perspective? And thehy can always have him play in the G league for parts of the year too to get game experience against pros, which again is probably better than going up against college players.

Ayo's most marketable attribute to an NBA team is his projection as a perimeter defender.

Edit to include: I totally buy him as a legit first round prospect, and I'm an NBA junkie.
Agreed. He's a first round pick, likely next year. I really hope he doesn't make the jump this year. But all it takes is one team saying they'll take him or give him a long look and he could decide that's enough.

Winged Warrior
It's such a hard thing to figure with his comments about building this program, and family, etc.....next to his comments about getting to the NBA and one and done stuff.
Gun to my head, I think he's back next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.