2019 NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
why would 30 games or so in college outweigh practicing with/against WAY better guards every day, NBA level traning/nutrition, year round development with laswer foucs on basketball (no class, etc) from a development perspective? And thehy can always have him play in the G league for parts of the year too to get game experience against pros, which again is probably better than going up against college players.
I'm not an expert and it's just my opinion based on some assumptions...

Sure, you're 100% focused on basketball and get better nutrition and training (some of which you probably have to pay for yourself), but I THINK that in the NBA that you don't practice as intensely as in college. So many games packed in to a week that you can't go balls-out in practice against people. Injury & fatigue would end up killing you. That's why I think playing and practicing in college actually can be a better path to a starting NBA position. Obviously some people should just go (Zion), but my opinion is that Ayo is a guy that gets more out of college.

If he ends up being a 1st rounder with guaranteed money, I'd suggest he take it. But I think HIS best path to regular NBA minutes is at least another year of college.

On the subject of “do you go or do you stay” I went to see Meyers Leonard “play” yesterday. He scored 2 points in 8 minutes and became a crowd favorite when he missed 2 free throws in a row which gave 16,000 people a free Chick- fil-a sandwich today. Yes he makes a ton of money but his professional growth is nil. I truly believe you develop your game in college. Especially the mental part. How many of us were ready at age 19 to spend months on the road with grown men teammates unable to even have a drink legally with them in a bar/restaurant. The down time is huge. NBA teams practice maybe twice a week. They have shootaround on game day but that is to go over the game plan against their opponent. Thousands of athletes have NBA talent but the mental aspect is the key- see Nerlens Noel. College allows you to grow socially, emotionally, & mature. I love Ayo’s game but if his goal is to make the Show & stay he needs to play another year or two in college.

Illini optimist
Charleston
On the subject of “do you go or do you stay” I went to see Meyers Leonard “play” yesterday. He scored 2 points in 8 minutes and became a crowd favorite when he missed 2 free throws in a row which gave 16,000 people a free Chick- fil-a sandwich today. Yes he makes a ton of money but his professional growth is nil. I truly believe you develop your game in college. Especially the mental part. How many of us were ready at age 19 to spend months on the road with grown men teammates unable to even have a drink legally with them in a bar/restaurant. The down time is huge. NBA teams practice maybe twice a week. They have shootaround on game day but that is to go over the game plan against their opponent. Thousands of athletes have NBA talent but the mental aspect is the key- see Nerlens Noel. College allows you to grow socially, emotionally, & mature. I love Ayo’s game but if his goal is to make the Show & stay he needs to play another year or two in college.
Agree 100%

These NBA players are at a JOB. This job is a rough one. Family life? None. Home life? Next to none. Ayo MIGHT be ready now. Odds are high he is not. AND, what is the hurry? Another year or two in college will not hurt his draft status. People say, "But, what if he gets hurt?" Well, what if he gets hurt in the NBA? Odds are higher of NBA injury vs. NCAA injury. Also, as just a spot roll player, life on the road probably will not be as fun. He should stay at least one more, probably two more years. Of course my glasses are orange!

fun little anecdote. but that's all it is. Since Meyer's joined the NBA he's added a 3 point shot at about 39% (only 2 attempts per game, but still) compared to a whopping 8% on 0.2 attempts per game here. 82% FT shooter vs 73% here. Meyers has been able adapt and grow his game a lot when he realized he couldn't cut it on size and athleticism alone. I imagine a lot of that had to do with staff help. The NBA is also the NBA for coaches and trainers, the best rise to the top.

fun little anecdote. but that's all it is. Since Meyer's joined the NBA he's added a 3 point shot at about 39% (only 2 attempts per game, but still) compared to a whopping 8% on 0.2 attempts per game here. 82% FT shooter vs 73% here. Meyers has been able adapt and grow his game a lot when he realized he couldn't cut it on size and athleticism alone. I imagine a lot of that had to do with staff help. The NBA is also the NBA for coaches and trainers, the best rise to the top.
Wish his coaches agreed with you. Looks like his "improved shooting" isnt getting him more playing time. His minutes per game have dropped from last year & in 7 seasons this is his third lowest average. I like Meyers but he may need a change of scenery to another team to turn it around.

Sorry but this is far from the truth.

College coaches are way better than NBA coaches in developing players. The NBA coaches are mainly trying to establish relationships with players and management not only to keep their jobs but when they get fired (and except for Pops & Rick Carlisle they will) they can get another job. It’s a players league and if they don’t like you it’s a surety you will be gone. There are way more top notch coaches at the college level.

Grand Island Ne
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/portland-trail-blazers/meyers-leonard-10819/

Sure he is not a starter or getting a lot of PT, but he has been in the league 7 years and was wanted bad enough to sign his second contract for $41 million guaranteed. If you can recall his mom had health problems and no insurance and he wanted to help her. He did the right thing and its paid off well. I can see him playing for several more years and cashing a lot more checks.

I do agree Ayo could use another year but if the money is there for him I wouldn't blame him for making the jump.

Rookie year (now) MP 17.5(14.6), FG% .545(.543), FT% .809(.818), TRB 3.7(3.9), BLK 0.6(0.2), & PTS 5.5(6.0).
Not sure how much Trailblazers game's you're watching these days, but Meyers is a very efficient player. Over the last 10 games his field goal percentage is 68% and he's shooting 47% from 3 this year (albeit it on 2 attempts per game), but that is major progress from his rookie/college days. He's gotten way, way stronger, his help-side defense is improved and is still good for highlite dunks. There's more to it than just stats.

Deleted member 643761

D
If only you had been there to advise the GM who drafted Noel.

There is no magic formula to figure out who is going to make it or not. Plenty of guys come out early, start slow, and then develop into excellent players. Plenty of guys come out with lots of expectations and fizzle. It's not unlike recruiting.

The key is always the player himself. How hard is he willing to work? How tough is he mentally? I don't think either of those is particularly affected by being in college or the pros.

I'm not sure where people are getting the limited practice times. These guys have no jobs and no school work. They can shoot all day if they want. They can grab someone to do whatever drills they think will help their game. There is an actual limit on the number of hours a college kid can be coached.

Ayo’s goal should be to maximize the chance he’s a first round pick and gets a guaranteed contract. If he’s a near guaranteed first rounder this year, he is gone. If first round is 50-50, the big question is whether he’s more likely to make it in the first round next year. That’s a question of two things- 1- his development between year 1 and year 2, and 2- strength of draft between this year and next. I think this years is fairly weak once you get past top players, which is one reason that might push him to go this year.

If only you had been there to advise the GM who drafted Noel.

There is no magic formula to figure out who is going to make it or not. Plenty of guys come out early, start slow, and then develop into excellent players. Plenty of guys come out with lots of expectations and fizzle. It's not unlike recruiting.

The key is always the player himself. How hard is he willing to work? How tough is he mentally? I don't think either of those is particularly affected by being in college or the pros.

I'm not sure where people are getting the limited practice times. These guys have no jobs and no school work. They can shoot all day if they want. They can grab someone to do whatever drills they think will help their game. There is an actual limit on the number of hours a college kid can be coached.
I think they are talking about the fact that during the season most teams don't regularly hold actual practices. They'll do a walk-through or shoot around where they discuss game plans or just get shots up, but they aren't doing a ton of drills or skill work. Most individual improvement comes in the off season when guys work with their trainers to develop specific parts of their game.

By the end of his current contract Leonard will have earned around $50 million playing basketball since leaving Illinois, and I honestly don't think he would have done any better -- financially or development wise -- by staying for another year in Champaign.
I never said he won’t make a boat load of money. I understand about his mother & that adds another element to his decision. But as a former athlete, being on the bench never sat well with me. Course I wasn’t getting paid for it either. One more year in school to mature ( I saw him as a rookie & he looked lost), a possible final four experience ( went to game in Austin & with him on the team we would have killed Miami), & the possibility of being a top 3 draft pick might have made a difference in his pro career, maybe even making more money than he has now.

Deleted member 643761

D
I think they are talking about the fact that during the season most teams don't regularly hold actual practices. They'll do a walk-through or shoot around where they discuss game plans or just get shots up, but they aren't doing a ton of drills or skill work. Most individual improvement comes in the off season when guys work with their trainers to develop specific parts of their game.
Well, it seems like everyone agrees that more practice would make a player better. So yes, regular practices are limited in the NBA but players who want to improve are going to be able to get into the gym on their own and work on their game. They literally have only one job and that is to get better. I have no doubt that some bag it after the team practice is over but I also have no doubt that some hungry ones are working long byeond that. If anything, the fact that the full team practices are more limited means there's more resources and time for the end of the bench guys.

Deleted member 643761

D
I never said he won’t make a boat load of money. I understand about his mother & that adds another element to his decision. But as a former athlete, being on the bench never sat well with me. Course I wasn’t getting paid for it either. One more year in school to mature ( I saw him as a rookie & he looked lost), a possible final four experience ( went to game in Austin & with him on the team we would have killed Miami), & the possibility of being a top 3 draft pick might have made a difference in his pro career, maybe even making more money than he has now.
So at the end of this contract, he'll have earned $50 million but you think he should have stayed another year and he "might" have done better? Like Jared Sullinger? Many people actually think Frankie might have gone higher if he had gone a year earlier.

Meyers' choice was unquestionably the right one.

So at the end of this contract, he'll have earned $50 million but you think he should have stayed another year and he "might" have done better? Like Jared Sullinger? Many people actually think Frankie might have gone higher if he had gone a year earlier.

Meyers' choice was unquestionably the right one.
Interested to know your take on Leron Black?

Deleted member 643761

D
Interested to know your take on Leron Black?
I only know the chatter but in a way he supports leaving.

After four years most scouts are going to know your abilities and potential. My guess is that Leron understood that his pro potential wasn't going to change much by staying.

But for all these situations there can be lits at play we don't know about.

I only know the chatter but in a way he supports leaving.

After four years most scouts are going to know your abilities and potential. My guess is that Leron understood that his pro potential wasn't going to change much by staying.

But for all these situations there can be lits at play we don't know about.
Does anyone know what his salary level is at Argentino?

Status
Not open for further replies.