2019 NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilmette, IL
Wondering how Underwood's system affects the perception of players success in the NBA. Does anyone ever have big assist numbers in this scheme? It seems like neither the high-post handoff, the pick and roll jumper, nor the post feed will result in many assists. The skip pass will, and perhaps the feed to the cutting low-post will, but we don't use those that often. Compared to Weber's system in which Dee and Deron played, where picks away from the ball led to catch and shoot opportunities, it's not surprising that Deron and Dee would have more gaudy assist stats than Trent or Ayo.

The on-ball pressure Underwood employs should provide plenty of evidence of man defensive ability, but watching the Warriors-Jazz game last night, they literally didn't play one minute of defense until 4 min left in the fourth. I'm guessing that defensive prowess is less widely valued these days. Those games are so boring to watch.

Wondering how Underwood's system affects the perception of players success in the NBA. Does anyone ever have big assist numbers in this scheme? It seems like neither the high-post handoff, the pick and roll jumper, nor the post feed will result in many assists. The skip pass will, and perhaps the feed to the cutting low-post will, but we don't use those that often. Compared to Weber's system in which Dee and Deron played, where picks away from the ball led to catch and shoot opportunities, it's not surprising that Deron and Dee would have more gaudy assist stats than Trent or Ayo.

The on-ball pressure Underwood employs should provide plenty of evidence of man defensive ability, but watching the Warriors-Jazz game last night, they literally didn't play one minute of defense until 4 min left in the fourth. I'm guessing that defensive prowess is less widely valued these days. Those games are so boring to watch.
Also use defense in the playoffs. Reason I don't watch until playoffs.

Earlier I was leaning towards having another year with Ayo. Lately, my perception is, he gawn. He's soooo good in the open court, and lately he's been better at playmaking. I'm sure that's as much the team coming together in it's execution as it is his ability. Not sure if he's a 1 or 2 guard in the NBA, but he's shown improvement in the areas I think he most needed to. Hitting game winning shots doesn't hurt either.

I'm not saying he couldn't move up a ton with another year, and in fact, I think he would. But my best guess is that if he indeed wanted to be a 1-n-done, he'll have that option.

Anyway, it'd be interesting to know what the staff is thinking recruiting-wise. I'm assuming it's on their radar and they have plans for that eventuality, but he's a game-changer that will be missed if we're making a run next year. Anyone on the roster a potential point-forward?

Also, they have four or five mocks averaged and Ayo is ine the 30's. Highest being 24.
I think it's worth noting that 2 of their voters don't list him, bringing his average down. Not sure what criteria they're using to include prospects, but his rankings are:
24, 26, 32

So of those that rank him, 2 have him late first, 1 just outside. I wonder if he'll go if that's where he'll be projected during the evaluation period. His potential is higher IMHO, but late first round is guaranteed money, and not bad for 1 year in college.

I think it's worth noting that 2 of their voters don't list him, bringing his average down. Not sure what criteria they're using to include prospects, but his rankings are:
24, 26, 32

So of those that rank him, 2 have him late first, 1 just outside. I wonder if he'll go if that's where he'll be projected during the evaluation period. His potential is higher IMHO, but late first round is guaranteed money, and not bad for 1 year in college.
I’m wondering what AYO’s thoughts are on next year, too. I also wonder how the following quote from AG’s dad might have been different, if it was part of an off the record conversation with Piper. As it is, AG’s dad agrees that Ayo has good height and length, and says Ayo has the …

1550354109705.png

Speculating here (‘cuz it’s what we do), but AG’s dad off the record might (my guess, ‘cuz I’m projecting my own thoughts into a mix with his) have added –

1. AYO needs time to fill out his frame

2. development tends not to be a completely smooth straight upward line

3. AYO’s line is up, but the “hockey stick” part of that line from last June to now is really the last month and a half

4. AYO needs to maintain the long view of his career and has to really ask himself: Under what conditions will I see the most development during the period June ’19 – May ’20?

Despite the fact that I’m a not-qualified-to-have-a-serious-opinion basketball fan, it’s still my opinion :LOL: that AYO will develop most next year by staying with IL. I wonder what others might think, but it’s my thought right now that –

· AYO runs almost non-existent risk of damaging his stock by staying another year at IL and regressing or plateauing

· He runs risk of career-level injury wherever/whenever he is playing next year

· If that kind of injury is in his future for next year, then going to NBA at end of this year secures him the pride of being a “one and done” and a relatively modest amount of career money for a short NBA appearance [two points probably on AYO’s radar, but I think not likely to be top considerations]

· If serious injury is not in AYO’s future for next year, and he goes to NBA, then he will continue working on his game and his body as a newly minted “pro” in lunch-bucket/businesslike practices and summer play. He won’t see real game time, won’t be a focus and will lose what I think would be –

• better opportunity to improve himself by playing 30+ real games as a leader/under pressure at the college level, along with
  • creation of lifetime memories involving NCCA tournament,
  • a chance to take a significant place in IL history as a key part of a new period of IL ascension, followed then by
  • 2020 entry to NBA at higher compensation point, with opportunity to see playing time in his first pro year

Illini optimist
Charleston
I’m wondering what AYO’s thoughts are on next year, too. I also wonder how the following quote from AG’s dad might have been different, if it was part of an off the record conversation with Piper. As it is, AG’s dad agrees that Ayo has good height and length, and says Ayo has the …

Speculating here (‘cuz it’s what we do), but AG’s dad off the record might (my guess, ‘cuz I’m projecting my own thoughts into a mix with his) have added –

1. AYO needs time to fill out his frame

2. development tends not to be a completely smooth straight upward line

3. AYO’s line is up, but the “hockey stick” part of that line from last June to now is really the last month and a half

4. AYO needs to maintain the long view of his career and has to really ask himself: Under what conditions will I see the most development during the period June ’19 – May ’20?

Despite the fact that I’m a not-qualified-to-have-a-serious-opinion basketball fan, it’s still my opinion :LOL: that AYO will develop most next year by staying with IL. I wonder what others might think, but it’s my thought right now that –

· AYO runs almost non-existent risk of damaging his stock by staying another year at IL and regressing or plateauing

· He runs risk of career-level injury wherever/whenever he is playing next year

· If that kind of injury is in his future for next year, then going to NBA at end of this year secures him the pride of being a “one and done” and a relatively modest amount of career money for a short NBA appearance [two points probably on AYO’s radar, but I think not likely to be top considerations]

· If serious injury is not in AYO’s future for next year, and he goes to NBA, then he will continue working on his game and his body as a newly minted “pro” in lunch-bucket/businesslike practices and summer play. He won’t see real game time, won’t be a focus and will lose what I think would be –

• better opportunity to improve himself by playing 30+ real games as a leader/under pressure at the college level, along with
  • creation of lifetime memories involving NCCA tournament,
  • a chance to take a significant place in IL history as a key part of a new period of IL ascension, followed then by
  • 2020 entry to NBA at higher compensation point, with opportunity to see playing time in his first pro year
I can follow this entire post. One thing that you do not mention, however, is the age thing. He’s 18 (19?). Playing against 30 year olds, who are professionals. I really think another year at UI will pay off for him. Hugely. I think his skills are good enough. In a year, they will be better.

The longevity of a career, I think would be better served playing 35 games vs. 84.

As much as I would LOVE to see Ayo play another year, It's really hard to believe it's less risky for him to wait another year. I'm sure I can come up with a million arguments which support my desire to see him stay. But a year is a long time to wait and the list of things that can alter the outcome for him in the future is just as long.

With a physical profile similar to Malik Beasley at the same age, Dosunmu is an aggressive scoring guard who can change speeds, get downhill and defend his position with intensity. Scouts will be watching his perimeter shooting, as he reworked his jumper over the summer. He's still not the most polished decision-maker.

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/pg
Really hoping he sticks around for another year, it would most likely benefit both parties

I'm hoping he stays but I think there will be a strong push from certain individuals or an organization close to him to go.

Hope he can make his own decision on what he feels is best for him. If you get enough guaranteed, you gotta go

Last edited:
Ayo is not draft ready, and will not be 1st round if he goes. His shot although better is not NBA better. He over penetrates, gets stuck in the air, gets far too many breakaways blocked/jump balled due to the over penetration in the lane usually. All of this will be on "highlight" reels for the scouts, he will not be drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.