2019 St. Louis Cardinals

I was a little surprised when I read this about Webb:

Recently, Webb has been really good. In his last 30 appearances, he has a 2.63 ERA and 24 strikeouts. Moving that closer to his last 10 games and Webb has just a 0.96 ERA with 11 strikeouts and just a 0.429 WHIP. He really has been great.

He has done pretty well in low leverage situations but when I look at his splits on CBS Sports website he has an ERA of 5.79 in "late inning pressure" situations. 14.73 with RISP. 30.86 with RISP and 2 outs. But he's .79 since the All Star break. Not bad at all. Even if it is only 11 games and 11 innings.

Maybe he's found a niche. Middle of the game where faces a couple of batters then hits the shower.

Cardinals may be catching a bit of a break when it comes to the Brewers pitching staff heading into the series that starts tomorrow night at Busch. After playing in a game last night that went 14 innings, Milwaukee is getting absolutely crushed by the Nationals 13-4 in the 5th right now.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
Cardinals may be catching a bit of a break when it comes to the Brewers pitching staff heading into the series that starts tomorrow night at Busch. After playing in a game last night that went 14 innings, Milwaukee is getting absolutely crushed by the Nationals 13-4 in the 5th right now.

You could very well be right. (Final score, 16-8.) Their bullpen should be pretty weary. Tentative starters in the series:

Monday: Zach Davies vs. Hudson; Tuesday: Gio Gonzales vs. Wacha; Wed: Adrian Houser vs. Wainwright

I guess I don't understand the concept behind ESPN's starting pitcher "game score". I realize it'a a 0-100 range. Tonight Hudson pitched 6 2/3 innings. He didn't give up any hits or runs. He had 7 strikeouts and issued 4 walks. That gives him a game score of 77. Granted the score is above average (50) but considering "average" would be a minimum of 2 runs. A whip of 1.22 which means 8 base runners. And 6.5 strikeouts. Granted the strikeouts are only slightly above average. Still I would think he merits something closer to 85-90. I can only assume he is penalized for not going the full 9 innings and they are deducting roughly 25 points for the final 2 1/3 innings that he didn't pitch.

Note: I used the whip and K/9 for the # 34 SP. They are 1.22 and 8.73 per MLB's stats for qualified starting pitchers.

unimaroon

Baja Ontario
I guess I don't understand the concept behind ESPN's starting pitcher "game score". I realize it'a a 0-100 range. Tonight Hudson pitched 6 2/3 innings. He didn't give up any hits or runs. He had 7 strikeouts and issued 4 walks. That gives him a game score of 77. Granted the score is above average (50) but considering "average" would be a minimum of 2 runs. A whip of 1.22 which means 8 base runners. And 6.5 strikeouts. Granted the strikeouts are only slightly above average. Still I would think he merits something closer to 85-90. I can only assume he is penalized for not going the full 9 innings and they are deducting roughly 25 points for the final 2 1/3 innings that he didn't pitch.

Note: I used the whip and K/9 for the # 34 SP. They are 1.22 and 8.73 per MLB's stats for qualified starting pitchers.
If it's the Bill James metric used on Baseball Reference, it's a base 50 points. Add 1 point for each out and also 1 pt for each strikeout. Add a 2 pt bonus for each inning completed after the 4th. Subtract 1 point for each walk, subtract 2 pts for each hit allowed and also for each unearned run, and subtract 4 pts for each earned run. The result is the starting pitcher game score. A perfect game with 27 strikeouts would be 50 base + 37 outs(27+10 bonus) + 27 strikeouts=114. 100 point games are about as rare as perfect games, iirc. Max Scherzer had one a few years ago, a one hitter with 20ish strikeouts or similar. Anything over 60 is good and 70's are typically the best performances daily.

If it's the Bill James metric used on Baseball Reference, it's a base 50 points. Add 1 point for each out and also 1 pt for each strikeout. Add a 2 pt bonus for each inning completed after the 4th. Subtract 1 point for each walk, subtract 2 pts for each hit allowed and also for each unearned run, and subtract 4 pts for each earned run. The result is the starting pitcher game score. A perfect game with 27 strikeouts would be 50 base + 37 outs(27+10 bonus) + 27 strikeouts=114. 100 point games are about as rare as perfect games, iirc. Max Scherzer had one a few years ago, a one hitter with 20ish strikeouts or similar. Anything over 60 is good and 70's are typically the best performances daily.

thanks. I knew James created the system but I couldn't find the 'rithmatic behind it. More than likely, if Hudson had an 80 I wouldn't have said anything even though I thought he had earned a higher score.

This is why I posted it here. I knew someone would have the answer.

BillyBob1

Champaign
Heard postgame and said Wong had X-ray and it was negative! He is day to day.

the national

the Front Range
Yeah, that sounds really painful. They say day to day but I imagine that will take some time to recoup and feel better.

But hey, we got the sweep. Both MIL and CHI lost. We have won 13 of our last 16 (I believe they said during the broadcast). Our pen is just awesome. I’m sleeping easy tonight with a 2.5 game lead. Who knows how the rest of it will go but this team is really playing good baseball and putting it together.

Yeah, that sounds really painful. They say day to day but I imagine that will take some time to recoup and feel better.

But hey, we got the sweep. Both MIL and CHI lost. We have won 13 of our last 16 (I believe they said during the broadcast). Our pen is just awesome. I’m sleeping easy tonight with a 2.5 game lead. Who knows how the rest of it will go but this team is really playing good baseball and putting it together.

2.5 games up with 33 left to play. We're getting to the point where a like 18-15 finish(current pace) probably wraps up the division handedly. Cubs would have to go 20-12 to tie, that's a 100 win pace, not impossible but very hard for them to do.

2.5 games up with 33 left to play. We're getting to the point where a like 18-15 finish(current pace) probably wraps up the division handedly. Cubs would have to go 20-12 to tie, that's a 100 win pace, not impossible but very hard for them to do.
When the Cubs play STL head to head it is much easier to accomplish. I will feel better is StL goes 22-11. They will need that kind of momentum for the playoffs.

When the Cubs play STL head to head it is much easier to accomplish. I will feel better is StL goes 22-11. They will need that kind of momentum for the playoffs.

Yea I was doing a macro look at it, just to show a 2.5 game lead at this point in the season doesn't seem like a lot but with decent play by the Cardinals looks very hard for the Cubs to surmount.

In practice, the division is almost certainly decided in those 7 games between the Cubs and Cardinals in the last 10.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I think I would be good with 20-13, as long as they are playing the Cubs fairly even. Would love to have the division wrapped up Monday or Tuesday in the last week.

We were 1 down just a few days ago. That’s how fast things move. Lots of head to head games left. Just take care of business. Maybe Carp gets hot. Ozuna playing better. I love Edman. Wacha is a problem so run support is key for him.

Ryllini

Lombard
The Cubs aren’t going anywhere. This is a big week for the Brew Crew. They have us and the Cubs this weekend. We can put the Brewers in a trick bag if we take care of business in Milwaukee this series.

We were 1 down just a few days ago. That’s how fast things move. Lots of head to head games left. Just take care of business. Maybe Carp gets hot. Ozuna playing better. I love Edman. Wacha is a problem so run support is key for him.

I'm actually pretty confident in this team if they're able to win the division. Their biggest weaknesses are the 4th & 5th starter and under performing offense. The back of rotation starters a much less of a problem in a short series and Goldy has been his old self in the 2nd half. Their biggest strength by far is the bullpen, which is emphasized in the playoffs.

It would not surprise me at all for Carpenter and Goldy to hit like their old selves for a few weeks and the Cardinals hot streak their way to the World Series. Not expecting it, but winning the division would really help.

I'm actually pretty confident in this team if they're able to win the division. Their biggest weaknesses are the 4th & 5th starter and under performing offense. The back of rotation starters a much less of a problem in a short series and Goldy has been his old self in the 2nd half. Their biggest strength by far is the bullpen, which is emphasized in the playoffs.

It would not surprise me at all for Carpenter and Goldy to hit like their old selves for a few weeks and the Cardinals hot streak their way to the World Series. Not expecting it, but winning the division would really help.
I’m confident we can win a weak division. I haven’t got much confidence beyond that. Of course we are hot right now and that can go a long way. Go Cards!

the national

the Front Range
It’s a hitters delight tonight against Gio. I’m a little surprised by the hot bats but I’ll take it!