2019 St. Louis Cardinals

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
That is the rule but refs never call it unless the batter is leaning into the ball when it's over the plate. I absolutely hate the rule. Anyone wearing armor should be exempt for the HBP rule. Rizzo is always among the league leaders in HBP. At least he doesn't wear all the extra guards when he leans in to the pitch. He does crowd the plate.

The only time ever saw that rule enforced was once -- in a college world series game.

The only time ever saw that rule enforced was once -- in a college world series game.
Yeah I meant the MLB umps "never" call it. I think I was a replay on ESPN 10-15 years ago where the home plate ump didn't give the batter 1st base but I won't swear to it.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
Yeah I meant the MLB umps "never" call it. I think I was a replay on ESPN 10-15 years ago where the home plate ump didn't give the batter 1st base but I won't swear to it.

Agreed.

That is the rule but refs never call it unless the batter is leaning into the ball when it's over the plate. I absolutely hate the rule. Anyone wearing armor should be exempt for the HBP rule. Rizzo is always among the league leaders in HBP. At least he doesn't wear all the extra guards when he leans in to the pitch. He does crowd the plate.

IMO, the rule should be if it hits protective gear on the arm or leg, it isn't a HBP.

Ozuna
I still can't figure out how he got a gold glove. I have not seen anything in the past 1+ seasons that make me think he is one of the best OFers in the game. Yes it is an "A" for effort but "F" for grossly misjudging the flight of the ball.

the national

the Front Range
Ozuna
I still can't figure out how he got a gold glove. I have not seen anything in the past 1+ seasons that make me think he is one of the best OFers in the game. Yes it is an "A" for effort but "F" for grossly misjudging the flight of the ball.
Yeah, that was unfortunate. I’ve already had a few cub fans rib me over his gaffe. Honestly, I don’t think he was fully focused, heard the crack of the bat and over compensated. Once he saw the ball (when he actually turned around) he knew immediately that he screwed up. I kinda felt bad for him, and yet don’t. He needs to be professional, stay focused on every play and keep his head in the game.

And to your point, I agree. I’ve never seen elite play that would warrant a gold glove. At least not since he’s been with the Cards.

He won a Gold Glove in 2017 because he had a 144 wRC+ and gold glove is somehow like a 50% offensive award. He had negative defensive value according to Fangraphs in 2017. It's mostly just random, last year they picked DJ LeMahieu when I was certain they would pick Baez due to his offense so they got that right, but then they turn around and give Nick freaking Markakis an OF gold glove and he's not good at anything?

The gaffe last night was hilarious, I'm just going to enjoy it for what it was because they won the game. He's been bad defensively for the Cardinals mostly because his shoulder has been trash for the last 2 years, he can barely throw.

Last edited:
He won a Gold Glove in 2017 because he had a 144 wRC+ and gold glove is somehow like a 50% offensive award. He had negative defensive value according to Fangraphs in 2017. It's mostly just random, last year they picked DJ LeMahieu when I was certain they would pick Baez due to his offense so they got that right, but then they turn around and give Nick freaking Markakis an OF gold glove and he's not good at anything?

The gaffe last night was hilarious, I'm just going to enjoy it for what it was because they won the game. He's been bad defensively for the Cardinals mostly because his shoulder has been trash for the last 2 years, he can barely throw.

I know. It's frustrating that GGs are awarded based on the player's hitting prowess even though people deny it all the time.

Since Ozuna wasn't injured, the run didn't score and they won the game it's a funny play. Kinda. I am sure Mayers doesn't appreciate the nick to his Whip or that it impacted his chances of staying in for the full inning.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
I know. It's frustrating that GGs are awarded based on the player's hitting prowess even though people deny it all the time.

True. Kyle Seager won the Golden Glove award at 3rd base for the Mariners in 2014. While he might be an above average fielder, no way was he (or is he) of GG caliber. He had a pretty fair year batting that year, though (.268 with 25 HR's and 96 RBI's), which may "explain" his GG.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
He can be a DH for STL when the national league gets it for 2020 season.

I don't think the DH comes in 2020, since it wasn't announced with the 3 batter minimum, roster increase and other changes for 2020. My guess is it'll come in 2022 since the last year of the CBA is 2021.

eMitch

Quincy, IL
More fuel to the Martinez / Fowler debate. Fowler may heat up some as the season progresses and he's probably not doing as poorly as most people think he is, but he needs to improve quite a bit to be hitting as well as Martinez has hit for 3 years now. If he's going to rely on defense, then a little more hustle out there wouldn't hurt either.

Not pitch hitting for Waino in top of 6th cost us that damn game. So much for being sabermetrically inclined.

I'd like to give Shildt a pass since he was throwing a no-no at the time, but it's not like he looked particularly sharp and there was like a 2% chance he actually finished the game. He was about to pitch to the lineup a 3rd time and it bit him, like it always does to most every pitcher.

That was bad. Matheny-esqe. I'm going to to give Shildt the benefit of the doubt by assuming the bullpen availability was stretched thin, but not pinch hitting there was bad.

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
I think we really need to consider pitching around Yelich. No matter what. Even loading the bases.

BillyBob1

Champaign
I think we really need to consider pitching around Yelich. No matter what. Even loading the bases.

Has he been knocked down yet? Ozuna was hit by a pitch after two consecutive home runs. Pitched up and in on another at bat.

Has he been knocked down yet? Ozuna was hit by a pitch after two consecutive home runs. Pitched up and in on another at bat.

The story about baseball in the olden days was, after 2 guys hit home runs the catcher would look at the next batter and ask him where does he want to get hit. In his side or on his butt.