2019 St. Louis Cardinals

I know, it's almost criminal at this point that they keep giving what looks to be a broken Wacha and decrepit Wainwright starts while Keuchel is sitting there available for just money.
Keuchel doesn't impress me right now...and he would take a compensatory pick as well if signed before the draft correct? I definitely think for the money we would be better off just giving Ponce or Gomber a chance with the big club as opposed to spending a bunch on Keuchel right now. Reminds me too much of the Holland situation last year...we had the answer on the club the whole time but decided to spend a bunch of money on Holland to pitch like garbage.

Maybe Keuchel would prove me wrong, but the past couple seasons he hasn't been lights out...

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
It seemed like Cards had things going well until they went to Chicago and got swept. Haven’t been the same since.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
It seemed like Cards had things going well until they went to Chicago and got swept. Haven’t been the same since.

Agreed. I think especially the second game of the series (which they should have won) kind of unhinged them.

SKane

Tennessee
I don't disagree but that sort of thing should not happen with a professional team.

the national

the Front Range
The win last night was quite satisfying. When it was 5-4, I had the funny feeling that if we didn’t tack on more runs we would give up the lead and game. As soon as that thought came to me, Fowler hits a homer. Then I thought, man I wish someone was on base so we could have had two runs, Bader hits a homer.

It’s been a long time where they make the clutch hit mid game to protect their lead. I’m so used to other teams doing that to us. Let’s see how the game today goes. It would be fun to sweep.

Seems like the baseball gods are telling us to go on a hot streak. Got swept by the Cubs the beginning of May and had a terrible month. Now we sweep the Cubs at the beginning of June. Has to be a great month ahead right?

eMitch

Quincy, IL
I will say that when the Cubs players were booing Bryant from the dugout for his first at-bat - that was pretty funny. Probably the nicest thing I've said about the Cubs, but it was pretty funny.

Having said that, yep, just another boring sweep of the Cubs (yawn)

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Looking at the NL standings, I found a couple of stats that were interesting to me. Only the D'backs and Brewers have played against more teams with winning records than the Cards. Cards are 18-20, Brewers, 19-20 and the D'backs, 18-26. Also, only the Dodgers and Phils have a winning record against teams at 500+.

At least they're starting to play like they should against poorer quality opponents like the Marlins, and the Wrigley trip didn't set us back as bad this time as last time! I still see plenty of struggles from some of the pitchers, but Mikolas looked solid last night (against the Marlins, so grain of salt). Let's hope Flaherty looks solid again tonight!

I am still somewhat concerned with the hitting. Over the past 11 games they have had 5 or fewer hits 5 times. 8-9 hits three times. 10 or more hits three times. (The average is around 8.5 hits a game.) Granted it is a very small sample size.

I am still somewhat concerned with the hitting. Over the past 11 games they have had 5 or fewer hits 5 times. 8-9 hits three times. 10 or more hits three times. (The average is around 8.5 hits a game.) Granted it is a very small sample size.
The hitting hasn't really wowed me either. Hopefully everything keeps coming together and they get hot at the right time. I'm much more optimistic right now than the same time last year...

The offense SHOULD get better. Carpenter and Goldschmidt aren't going to hover around league average all year, and if they both start breaking out at the same time that's going to add up to a lot of runs.

A rotation that features a lot of starts from Ponce De Leon, Wacha, and a returning from injury Wainwright is where the poor play is really going to catch up to them. They really need Reyes to come back or Carlos to stretch out already.

Luckily the schedule is very easy through the middle of July. Only 2 of their next 17 games are against teams with records currently above .500

Big series in St. Louis this weekend with Pujols returning to face the Cardinals for the first time since he signed with the Angels in 2012. While the two teams have played each other in interleague since he signed, those series have all been in Anaheim.

Classy all around.
I think the fans would have applauded for 5 minutes if he would have let them.
Loved Albert and Yadi hug. (and the cheer got louder. I didn't think it would have been possible.)
He had to have tears in his eyes when he swung the bat.

Tonight was the Cardinals last home game for the next couple of weeks. They start a 3 city West Coast road trip on Friday night in San Diego that will take them through the All-Star Break. They won't play at home again until July 12th vs. Arizona.

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
Maybe some time away from home will help get the bats going?

At least the rest of the Central isn’t lighting the world on fire either.

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted because it’s generally just me being anti Mo. that hasn’t changed. I was against extending Carp and bringing back Waino. I didn’t think the Cards franchise has to go the unproven manager route and they’ve done it twice. So my position on Mo still stands.

Another Mo move that honked me off was shipping Luke Voit to the Yankees. He was my favorite Cardinal prospect to come along in awhile. Maybe not the best but definitely my favorite. Maybe that plays into how Carp hits me blah. I think it was more that I was ready to see the young guys play. I definitely wanted more Voit at first. Now Carp will likely block Edman at third.