2019 St. Louis Cardinals

Earlier this season he was. He has a few homers last week. But I doubt he starts. Our management will play Fowler and Martinez instead.
O'Neill in LF and batting 5th.
Martinez in RF and Fowler in CF

I have to admit that the Cards sure are playing exciting fundamental baseball. It's hard to tear myself away from the tv when they're on.

Running into the 3rd out trying to steal 2nd with a base runner at third who could tie the game baffles me. I’m ready for Joe G.

Cardinals make a series of moves. Carpenter activated off DL with Molina heading to the DL. They've purchased the contract of Chasen Shreve from Memphis and will also call up Andrew Knizner. They've also sent Tyler Webb and Rangel Ravelo back down to Memphis.

the national

the Front Range
I’m not too bullish on the cards right now. There were few signs that the needle was pointed in the right direction before the break. The pitching has to get better. The hitting has to get more consistent. I like the guys individually but as a team, I don’t feel this team has the leadership I expected at the beginning of the year. Ozuna is the only one really leading the team, goldy and carp have been major disappointments.

(Ok, I’m done ranting)

I’m not too bullish on the cards right now. There were few signs that the needle was pointed in the right direction before the break. The pitching has to get better. The hitting has to get more consistent. I like the guys individually but as a team, I don’t feel this team has the leadership I expected at the beginning of the year. Ozuna is the only one really leading the team, goldy and carp have been major disappointments.

(Ok, I’m done ranting)

Agreed. I am very disappointed in this team. Maybe they can suddenly flip the switch and turn things around but after 1/2 a season of them not playing with any kind of consistency I just don't seem them doing so now. It's a real pity if they had lived up to the expectations they would be 10 games out in front. If they were over-achievers the division race would be just about finished. ( I can't remember the last time a Cardinal team exceeded expectations. Perhaps 2006 but only in the playoffs not during the season. 2004 the season was good but not the WS.)

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Agreed. I am very disappointed in this team. Maybe they can suddenly flip the switch and turn things around but after 1/2 a season of them not playing with any kind of consistency I just don't seem them doing so now. It's a real pity if they had lived up to the expectations they would be 10 games out in front. If they were over-achievers the division race would be just about finished. ( I can't remember the last time a Cardinal team exceeded expectations. Perhaps 2006 but only in the playoffs not during the season. 2004 the season was good but not the WS.)
Last time Cards exceeded, would have been the regular season 3.5 years ago. 100 wins, for a team that should have been a 90 win team, for me is over achieving. Limping into the playoffs didn't leave a great taste in the mouth of the fans, especially losing to the Cubs, but the regular season over achieved. From a playoff perspective, 2011 was absolutely an overachievement. 2006 was just getting healthy at the right time, talent was there. 2011, a less talented team beat more talented teams. JMHO.

Another 4 hit night for the team. Very disappointing yet again. I was wondering if it is the hitting coach but that has been our complaint for a few years and Jeff Albert just started this year.

Year after year after year management signs retread relief pitchers and all seem to lay and egg. I think they need a new matrix analysis program and new scouts. They apparently don't know how is a quality pitcher and who is not.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Observation from the standings. In every other division in MLB, run differential determines the teams place in that division. In the NL Central, run differential would have the Cubs, Reds, Cards, Brewers then Bucs. The teams are all bunched together in mediocrity, so, it makes sense that this would be the outlier.

https://www.mlb.com/standings

Whoa, Tyler is having himself a night! (2) homers! He’s the fresh blood this team needed.

Pretty huge stretch of games for him if he's able to get most of the Ozuna starts until he comes back. Nobody sticks in the majors striking out 40% of the time, but if he can get that down below 30% without sacrificing much power, he's a pretty good player.

Buyers or sellers?

Mo will be motivated to be a buyer because missing the playoffs might mean his exit. It will mean trading off some valuable prospects.

Ownership should push back and retool front office this offseason.

the national

the Front Range
Buyers or sellers?

Mo will be motivated to be a buyer because missing the playoffs might mean his exit. It will mean trading off some valuable prospects.

Ownership should push back and retool front office this offseason.
I am beginning to agree with you. Mo has struggled for the last 5+ years to give us the push we need, especially at the deadline. We supposedly have the money, why not spend it occasionally on things other than broken relief pitchers.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
I am beginning to agree with you. Mo has struggled for the last 5+ years to give us the push we need, especially at the deadline. We supposedly have the money, why not spend it occasionally on things other than broken relief pitchers.

I think Mo started to lose his "mojo" when Jeff Luhnow left the Cardinals for the Astros.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Hopefully Mo doesn't make a move just for the sake of making a move. He's seemed to have done that the past few seasons and it hasn't paid off.