2019 St. Louis Cardinals

BillyBob1

Champaign
Absolutely sucks! Dish dropped FS networks. Not able to watch this.

Rooney constantly complaining about the strike zone, especially with 3 continuous walks.

Absolutely sucks! Dish dropped FS networks. Not able to watch this.

Rooney constantly complaining about the strike zone, especially with 3 continuous walks.
Check out youtubetv. $50/month gets about 10 sports channels including Fox and BTN.

Couple of moves today by the Cardinals:

-Trade for Zac Rosscup from the Dodgers for cash and send him to Memphis. Cardinals are the 4th team he will have played on this season alone.
-Send Bader down to Memphis. They did recall Lane Thomas but he'll likely be just a stopgap until Ozuna returns.

Couple of moves today by the Cardinals:

-Trade for Zac Rosscup from the Dodgers for cash and send him to Memphis. Cardinals are the 4th team he will have played on this season alone.
-Send Bader down to Memphis. They did recall Lane Thomas but he'll likely be just a stopgap until Ozuna returns.

Zac didn't really cost them anything just a little bit of money but it makes me wonder how valuable is he if he can't stick with a team. He is 31. Not counting St Louis he has played in the majors for 5 teams. He's the prototypical AAAA player. What he has going for him is that he is left handed. Those guys can stick around and earn a pay check when righties with the same abilities are sitting at home coaching their kids' little league teams.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
Nice to see Martinez come in and shut it down without any scary moments!

For a change, yes. Cards need to hit bettter, though. Only 2 runs in each of their last 3 home games? Not good.

the national

the Front Range
Agreed on the offense. Both teams looked tired to me, and the pitching was solid for both teams. The walks made me a bit nervous but our relief did a good job of shutting those moments down. Man, Goldy is hitting his stride. We needed him to be a beast for us to have a chance. This team has potential but still has a lot to prove.

Mo trims payroll and watches the Cubs grab the best bat on the market at the deadline. I guess there’s no real pressure to improve when you’re top 5 in attendance and making money regardless of the product you put on the field. This has to seal his fate if this team doesn’t make the postseason....right?

Total lack of landing any players who will make a difference in this year's pennant race and we are told by the front office that "they are all in" this year.

1ra0s7.jpg

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
"
Total lack of landing any players who will make a difference in this year's pennant race and we are told by the front office that "they are all in" this year."

Yep. Disppointing. Not surprising, but disappointing nevertheless.

Mo trims payroll and watches the Cubs grab the best bat on the market at the deadline. I guess there’s no real pressure to improve when you’re top 5 in attendance and making money regardless of the product you put on the field. This has to seal his fate if this team doesn’t make the postseason....right?

Best bat on the market... Nick Castellanos... does not compute.

Dude has a 106 wRC+ this year, and that's with a .332 BABIP. Plus, he gives any offensive value back on defense. If they're planning on rolling with a Schwarber - Heyward - Castellanos OF, they might have made their team worse overall.

The Cardinals needed a starting pitcher, but weren't willing to give up Gorman/ Carlson/ or Knizner (rightly so). The top tier guys (stroman, Greinke, Syndergaard, etc.) would have required 1 or 2 of those guys. Not many 2nd tier guys even got traded (Robbie Ray, Wheeler, Bumgarner), so everyone thought the asks were unreasonable. The only starters trading hands were ones that would not have made the Cardinals any better.

Just shrug your shoulders and take comfort in the fact that the Brewers or Cubs didn't really get any better at the deadline either, and the Cardinals are still playing pretty good ball lately.

eMitch

Quincy, IL
Best bat on the market... Nick Castellanos... does not compute.

Dude has a 106 wRC+ this year, and that's with a .332 BABIP. Plus, he gives any offensive value back on defense. If they're planning on rolling with a Schwarber - Heyward - Castellanos OF, they might have made their team worse overall.

The Cardinals needed a starting pitcher, but weren't willing to give up Gorman/ Carlson/ or Knizner (rightly so). The top tier guys (stroman, Greinke, Syndergaard, etc.) would have required 1 or 2 of those guys. Not many 2nd tier guys even got traded (Robbie Ray, Wheeler, Bumgarner), so everyone thought the asks were unreasonable. The only starters trading hands were ones that would not have made the Cardinals any better.

Just shrug your shoulders and take comfort in the fact that the Brewers or Cubs didn't really get any better at the deadline either, and the Cardinals are still playing pretty good ball lately.

You could say their deadline pickups were Ozuna and Yadi.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
You could say their deadline pickups were Ozuna and Yadi.
I don't like going there. No idea if there was a reasonable deal out there for a late inning LRP or #3 starter, my guess is everyone wanted too much. I do sometimes believe every GM overvalues their prospects.

the national

the Front Range
Im not too worried about the deadline. I was frustrated that they kept saying that they were active on the market but done have alot to show for it. I honestly would have kept Jedd. didn't seem like it was worth the trade. we could have really used him down the stretch. but alas, we get a pretty solid prospect for next year. Like I said, I'm not too worried.

the national

the Front Range
Just heard that we got the green light on Wheeler from the Mets but it would take Oneal or Bader, Cardinals choice. Mo decided not to pull the trigger. The implication is that they front office doesn't think they can resign Ozuna and want to keep their OF depth. Take the Twitter rumor for what its worth.

Last night's game was one where everything went well. They hit, had a key home run but they weren't dependent on hrs to score all their runs. The did a good job with runner ins coring position (5-15) and even stole a base. Both starting a relief pitching excelled. It was close for the first half of the game. I was wondering if Flaherty was going to have to throw a no hitter in order to finally win a game.

So is it time to talk about magic numbers? :LOL:

the national

the Front Range
Man, Dakota is really struggling. It’s amazing to me how flat the team is after such good pitching against the cubs. They need a spark if they are going to pull this off.