2019 St. Louis Cardinals

the national

the Front Range
Looks like it'll be Hudson and Wacha for the Cardinals in the doubleheader on Saturday. Mikolas and Ponce de Leon in the doubleheader on Sunday.

In addition, Lane Thomas has a fractured wrist and is expected to miss the rest of the season as he has been placed on the IL. Tyler O'Neill was recalled to take Thomas' spot on the roster.
This really will be a tough weekend for the cards. Doubleheader’s are always tough. We’ll be lucky to split them. Just don’t feel good about the circumstance. Our guys are going to be gassed by weekends end

This really will be a tough weekend for the cards. Doubleheader’s are always tough. We’ll be lucky to split them. Just don’t feel good about the circumstance. Our guys are going to be gassed by weekends end

Agreed. I'm actually going to the afternoon game tomorrow. Of course instead of a 1:15 first pitch, I'll now be going to a game that's gonna have a 12:05 start.

BillyBob1

Champaign
It wasn't looking good in the top of the 9th but they buckled down and got it done. Not so sure they would have done that a month or two ago.

Was watching and I thought the bottom of the 8th was actually the 9th.

IlliniFan85

Colorado Springs, CO
Was watching and I thought the bottom of the 8th was actually the 9th.
I was watching and missed the fact that Edman scored to tie the game so when Carp got the hit and Yadi scored I didn't know why we were celebrating. Didnt help i was also playing xbox at same time but still. I was so confused.

It sure seems things have improved since Budhaska (sp?) was let go. Maybe it’s just a coincidence but it makes one wonder. I do think the young guys brought a much needed spark and maybe motivated some old guys.

Anyway, it’s a fun team to watch now that the bats have improved. Go Cards!

It sure seems things have improved since Budhaska (sp?) was let go. Maybe it’s just a coincidence but it makes one wonder. I do think the young guys brought a much needed spark and maybe motivated some old guys.

Anyway, it’s a fun team to watch now that the bats have improved. Go Cards!
I've been wondering the same thing. I doubt we will know the real answer.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
Another gem from Jack!

Sure was. But the Cards need to step up their hitting again if they want to win the division. Sort of unrelated, with the Brewers beating the Astros and the Braves besting the Blue Jays tonight, the National League has now won 151 interleague games, thereby clinching the season series against the AL with 31 games yet to go, including the Cubs-Mariners game, still underway. The NL had a 158-142 edge in interleague games last year.

Sure was. But the Cards need to step up their hitting again if they want to win the division. Sort of unrelated, with the Brewers beating the Astros and the Braves besting the Blue Jays tonight, the National League has now won 151 interleague games, thereby clinching the season series against the AL with 31 games yet to go, including the Cubs-Mariners game, still underway. The NL had a 158-142 edge in interleague games last year.

I’m kind of surprised by those stats.

The bottom third of the AL is really, really bad.

Yea the AL could very easily have 4 teams lose 100 games. That would be the most ever in 1 league, tied for most ever in the MLB total. Throw in the fact that Miami is going to lose 100, and 5 100 loss teams will be the most in baseball history.

But the Blue Jays are only on pace for 98 losses, so we'll see...

the national

the Front Range
Bummer we lost tonight but understandable. I thought with Munoz on 3rd during the 8th we had a real shot. But alas, it wasn’t to be. today felt like a sacrifice day after this past weekend’s double-double. The rotation was still kind of goofed up. Plus with Bumgarner on the mound it was already going be a tough hill. Just gotta close out tomorrow.

BillyBob1

Champaign
Nice work by Waino tonight!

Strike zone by umpire was definitely a head scratcher. Edman had three straight pitches not close to being in the strike zone all called strikes. Numerous others too.

And the Cubs lost! Saw Báez has hairline fracture in his hand.

Here is the tentative rotation the rest of the season:
Saturday-Sunday at Pittsburgh: Adam Wainwright, Flaherty.
Tuesday-Thursday at Colorado: Wacha, Hudson, Mikolas.
Sept. 13-15 vs. Milwaukee: Wainwright, Flaherty, Wacha.
Sept. 16-18 vs. Washington: Hudson, Mikolas, Wainwright.
Sept. 19-22 at Chicago: Flaherty, Wacha, Hudson, Mikolas.
Sept. 23-25 at Arizona: Wainwright, Flaherty, Wacha.
Sept. 27-29 vs. Chicago: Hudson, Mikolas, Wainwright/Flaherty.

stltoday

Bernie Miklasz has a nice tribute to Chris Duncan. I can't put the whole thing here but I liked this story:

Working as a columnist for the Post-Dispatch, I arrived at Busch Stadium extra early one Sunday morning for a day game in July, 2013.
He (Chris Duncan) sat in the seat next to me. When I asked him how he was coping with everything, Duncan began talking … he was calm, poised, thoughtful, pragmatic, realistic and 100 percent candid.

Chris told me, straight-up, that he wouldn’t survive this cancer. Please don’t misunderstand what I just typed right there; he hadn’t given up, he wasn’t about to surrender, and he had no intention of leaving this world a moment too early.

Duncan quietly analyzed his probabilities. He told me that his goal was to beat the odds — even if he couldn’t defeat the cancer.

Fumbling for anything of substance to offer at that point — heck, I didn’t want to start bawling in front of him — I stammered something about how he’d make history by whipping this insidious disease … and that one day his name would be all over the medical journals as a successful example of how the advanced treatments would greatly extend the lives of those afflicted with the ravages of brain cancer. (Except that my delivery of that message was rambling and weak.)

Duncan gave me a break by making me laugh. His sense of humor was always there, always rich. Even during the most trying of hard times.

“I hope you’re right,” Dunc said that day. “But here’s the situation. I’m looking at an 0-2 count. And I’m staring at combination of Randy Johnson, Sandy Koufax, Clayton Kershaw. All I can do is hang in there, and keep fouling off pitches.”

I replied: hey, those guys lost games. Three of the greatest lefthanders in baseball history — but they weren’t undefeated.

True?

Said Duncan, a lefthanded batter in his playing days: “Yeah, but I suck against lefties. I’ll just foul off those 0-2 pitches for as long as I can.”

And he did.

There is more to the article. I cut a little out of this story but it's so poignant it's difficult.