2019 St. Louis Cardinals

the national

the Front Range
It’s a bummer but true about Gant. I’d rather him rest up so he can get healthy. I do think Miller has experience that will come in handy the deeper our run in the playoffs goes. When Miller is on, he’s nasty.

I don’t mind the other choices. Have speed on the bench will be important.

BillyBob1

Champaign
More not clutch hitting today. The other break the Braves got in that inning was the foul ball by Donaldson that skimmed the inside netting.

IlliniFan85

Colorado Springs, CO
I'm so happy we decided Albert was the batting coach we needed. Our team hitting is crap and has been crap all season.

BillyBob1

Champaign
Thought they were batting out of order when DeYong came up and they didn’t say anything about walking Yadi!😓

I was taking the announcer approach when they say he hasn’t allowed a hit all game!!

Haha. Not often you can overcome 2 errors leading to runs in the postseason. We will take it though. I thought Keuchel was taken out too early. He put some guys on base but didn't seem like he was laboring too much. Maybe the heat played a factor.

Ultimately our better base running was the difference. Dexter's 1st to 3rd was amazing. Even though Wong was thrown out at home in the 8th I still like the aggression with 2 outs. Bader stealing 3rd another important moment.

And of course Carlos Martinez....can't live with him, can't live without him.

If nothing else, at least Carlos makes things fun to watch in the 9th.

I figured if they could steal this game today, then they'd have a chance in this series with Flaherty going tomorrow.

Only thing I'm worried about tomorrow is the heat. It might put Flaherty off his game, or at minimum shorten his outing an inning or two.

BillyBob1

Champaign
I’m wearing the red glasses, but I don’t think the Cardinal pitchers were getting the same calls on pitches below the strike zone. I also think Hamilton should have been punched out on one of the first ball called. Martinez walked off the mound like it was a strikeout, and I agree.

The first base umpire gave us a couple of close calls on check swings. Heck of a scoop by Goldy on that scoop in the 9th.

Outstanding outing by Mikolas, especially after the first two batters.

BillyBob1

Champaign
They are going to have to win with Mikolas on the mound. I was hoping he would pitch today and if needed use Flaherty in the must need game tomorrow or game one against Atlanta if 163 wasn't needed.
That was a great start today!

BillyBob1

Champaign
Freddie Freeman not happy with the lack of hustle by Acuna. Said that’s something you talk about once and that talk has already happened. Also said it was like beating a dead horse talking about it.

Last edited:
Freddie Freeman not happy with the lack of hustle by Acuna. Said that’s something you talk about once and that talk has already happened. Also said it was like beating a dead horse talking about it.

This isn't anything new for Acuna. He got pulled after his first at-bat in a game earlier this year for a similar situation to what happened today.

You think that's why the Braves pulled Keuchel as early as they did?

They pulled Keuchel because he was going through the line-up for the 3rd time and wasn't exactly mowing guys down. No starter should face the same guy 3 times in the playoffs unless they're throwing like Buehler last night, even then they probably shouldn't if the game is close.

I have 0 worries about Flaherty. I don't think the national hype machine has caught on to him yet, like, he might be the best starter on the NL side right now. He definitely was the best pitcher in the NL from July 1st on.

BillyBob1

Champaign
Article on ESPN about the Braves were going to stick with Acuna. Like they were really going to bench him. If it were the regular season, they probably would bench him. Playoffs, no way!

Jack has to be frustrated with the offense. 18 times this year he gave up 2 run or less. He only won 8 of them. (7 of the 8 were in Aug and Sept.) Once he agve up 1 run and still lost the game. 3 times he didn't even give up a run and yet he didn't get a decision. He ended up with 9 no decisions when giving up 2 or fewer runs.

I use to say Cardinal pitchers have to be perfect in order to win the game but Jack proved that isn't always true.