2019 St. Louis Cardinals

BillyBob1

Champaign
The ball that hit the base and then the error right after. Thought it was just not their day. Nice to see Yadi come thru twice! If that ball Fowler hit would have been fair.

Also, I’m not sure I like the K zone. The home plate umpire had a consistently inconsistent day today. Numerous pitches out of the strike zone against the Cardinals were called strikes and similar pitches to the Braves were called balls. Molina not happy on several missed calls.

IlliniFan85

Colorado Springs, CO
The ball that hit the base and then the error right after. Thought it was just not their day. Nice to see Yadi come thru twice! If that ball Fowler hit would have been fair.

Also, I’m not sure I like the K zone. The home plate umpire had a consistently inconsistent day today. Numerous pitches out of the strike zone against the Cardinals were called strikes and similar pitches to the Braves were called balls. Molina not happy on several missed calls.
All I ever ask is if an ump is going to expand the zone that he makes all the same calls for both teams. And it seemed like todays plate ump did not make same calls. I just want consistency.

The TBS K-zone is trash, plus the angle of their camera is even more trash. I can't tell if it's the K-zone that's inaccurate or if the angle we get just makes it seem worse than it is.

fastmap.php

There was only 1 egregious ball call to lefties, but as you can see here the righties were getting eaten alive by that low strike. Looks somewhat consistent though.

Molina had 2 of the 3 hits Folty gave up in game 2. Does Schildt gamble and have Molina bat 2nd? Unlikely, but we have to get guys on ahead of Goldy and Ozuna. Maybe move Edman back up the lineup.

I love 2nd starts in the playoffs. Who adjusts better? Folty threw 36 sliders out of 81 pitches. Does he do it again? Are the Cards ready for it this time. Does he change it up and try to get ahead early with the fastball? Always a fun chess match once the teams know each other well.

My bold prediction: DeJong does something big at the plate...go ahead RBI, home run, 3 for 4...I don't know what but he's going to do something.

the national

the Front Range
This game! This is just nuts. Who would have seen this coming? I know Matt Carpenter has a quote saying they were ‘angry’ and ready to give Flaherty the support he deserves. What’s more is that it was done with no homers.

Last edited:
I'm thinking Martinez has pitched enough innings this series, lets give him a rest today, 11 might not be enough for him.

BillyBob1

Champaign
I'm thinking Martinez has pitched enough innings this series, lets give him a rest today, 11 might not be enough for him.

He’s only giving up 3-4 runs an inning, so he’s good for 2!

Need a 10 run rule.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I have to admit that I was impressed when Shildt went with defensive substitutions in the bottom of the first yesterday. We can complain about things he does wrong, but I thought that was the right move.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
I have to admit that I was impressed when Shildt went with defensive substitutions in the bottom of the first yesterday. We can complain about things he does wrong, but I thought that was the right move.

Shildt makes the right moves a lot more often than not. Certainly more than Matheny ever did.

ESPN's Jesse Rogers did a good job going through the big first inning yesterday. Then again, I like most of Jesse's work.

Shocked. That was the feeling in both dugouts during the moments that produced one of October's biggest surprises ever, especially in an elimination game.

The St. Louis Cardinals scored 10 runs in the first inning against pitchers Mike Foltynewicz, Max Fried and a stunned Atlanta Braves team to essentially win the deciding Game 5 of the National League Division Series over the course of 26 minutes Wednesday.

Inside the winning clubhouse after the game, as champagne was popped and beer was poured, the victors relived an inning they will not soon forget.

Here is how they recalled the key moments:

Game time Friday set for 7:08 PM CT. Game 2 on Saturday will be at 3:08 PM. As was the case in the division series, the entire NLCS will air on TBS.

TBS booth much better than the Fox booths they had. Brian Anderson & Ron Darling were good for the NLDS. Francour is joining them for the NLCS. I'd rather just keep the 2 man booth, just because 2 man booths are better than too many talking heads, but Frenchie was good during the Dodgers Nats series

I saw on Twitter that Carpenter actually went up to Schildt and proposed the idea. If true, pretty cool thing for him to do.

I saw on Twitter that Carpenter actually went up to Schildt and proposed the idea. If true, pretty cool thing for him to do.
Jomboy breaks down the 1st inning and includes the Carp - Schildt exchange in the dugout. Kind of long at 6+ minutes, but then again, maybe not too long.