2020-2021 Team Makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd maybe have gone with "improved" or something here :)
Groce’s problem was inability to recruit a pg or a center. We have arguably two better centers (Kofi and Giorgi) than JG’s best (Egwu) and three better pgs ( Ayo, Trent and Dre) than his best (Abrams). On the other Hill or Rice would sure be welcome additions.

On the other Hill or Rice

Hill for sure with this offense, he would fit very nicely. Rice, well although he bailed us out many a time, I prefer Griffin to him actually as far as overall.

Hill for sure with this offense, he would fit very nicely. Rice, well although he bailed us out many a time, I prefer Griffin to him actually as far as overall.
Not sure at this time but believe Griffin in another year will be a stud. May need to develop more of a mid range game as he will be central to opponents defensive scheme.

lstewart53x3

Scottsdale, Arizona

Rayvonte Rice was great his senior year. Averaged 16 points per game on 49% shooting from 2 & 43% shooting from 3 (also averaged 80% from the line).

To go along with 6.5 rebounds per game, 2 steals, & 2 assists.

I think next year's team is one 6'6"- 6'7" high-motor guy, "defender of multiple positions" away from doing serious damage in the Tourney (think Kipper's size, Alan's motor and nose for the game)

TheAngryBavarian

Charleston/Collinsville
Size matters (only those without it say it doesn't) but I definitely agree that it's about much more than just being tall or having a long wingspan.

That being said I think our roster, in order of most likely to see more minutes (regardless of starters), is something like:

(Sr) Trent Frazier (6-2)
(Jr) Alan Griffin (6-5)
(So) Kofi Cockburn (7-0)
(Jr) Giorgi Bezhanishvili (6-9)
(Fr) Adam Miller (6-3)
(Fr) Andre Curbelo (6-0)
(Sr) Da'Monte Williams (6-3)
-- Above = Known contributor --- Below = potential breakout/developing players --
(Jr) Austin Hutcherson / (Jr) Jacob Grandison / (Jr) Tevian Jones
(So) Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk / (Fr) Coleman Hawkins
(So) Jermaine Hamlin

Kofi, Giorgi, and Griffin are our only known players over 6'-3". I'd love for one or more of the below the line players to jump the depth chart as everyone below the line is at least 6'-6" or taller with the potential to be a shooter.
I think Miller is taller than that. Closer to 6'4 1/2 in my opinion.

I think Miller is taller than that. Closer to 6'4 1/2 in my opinion.

Oh yes. I forgot how height was an opinion now...

Reported Height per source:
6'-3" 247
6'-3" ESPN
6'-3" Rivals
6'-3" USAB
6'-3" Verbal commits
6'-3" usatoday (august 30th 2018)
6'-4" gatorade player of the year (2018-19)
6'-3" Real GM
6'-4" D1 circuit
6'-3" Chicago Tribune (November 21st 2019)

6'-4" per Mac Irvin Fire Twitter (re-tweeted by Adam Miller).

At the end of the day I'll agree to add 1 inch to his height for now. Let's see what he looks like standing next to Da'Monte Williams next year on the court and then decide if he's 6'-3" or 6'-4".

I think next year's team is one 6'6"- 6'7" high-motor guy, "defender of multiple positions" away from doing serious damage in the Tourney (think Kipper's size, Alan's motor and nose for the game)

Grandison/Hutcherson seems like a good candidate for this? Haven't heard any real updates on them but both have the size/shooting statistics to be that 3 and D type of player. On the surface, Grandison looks to have size/body to be more of a Kipper 3/4 with Hutcherson being able to match up with larger guards and play anywhere from 1-3 to fill the gap Ayo leaves(not as an overall player of course) while hopefully offering better outside shooting than Ayo. Anyone hear how they are integrating into the team maybe with some Alex Legion type practice reports to share?

Rayvonte Rice was great his senior year. Averaged 16 points per game on 49% shooting from 2 & 43% shooting from 3 (also averaged 80% from the line).

Rice was definitely a stud for us his senior year. Wish we had some more of his caliber players around him at that time.

Last edited:
Exactly! Or one of the transfers needs to prove why we offered and think so highly of him (as mentioned above by Timj83).

Quite a bit is expected, and nothing has been proven. No slight against them and at this point I think BU and the staff gets a pass on determining and finding talent so far. Either Hutch or Grand needs to play above there previous stops level of play significantly imo.

You are using stats to overlook the negative impact that his selfishness had on his team.

Really hard for me to believe that this team was the last time we were ranked (before this time I mean).

Quite a bit is expected, and nothing has been proven. No slight against them and at this point I think BU and the staff gets a pass on determining and finding talent so far. Either Hutch or Grand needs to play above there previous stops level of play significantly imo.
They both led their teams in scoring. Hutch had offers from ND, Marquette, Crieghton and others. I dont understand why people doubt them or anyone before they set foot on a court when they did well before and have high major offers. People said the same type of things about Jordan Clarkson and the ISU transfer not being good enough and all Clarkson did was play for the Lakers and others. The ISU PG led SMU to the dance. Smaller schools can have elite talent that slipped through the cracks. It happens often, every single year. Give these guys a chance before we assume they cant play. They may just surprise you. I expect them to play more than Tev ever will. They weren't brought in to sit a year and then sit again next season.
I expect Tev to be transfer in part because his potentual minutes will likely come at the 4 because AG or one of these guys will jump him and probably DW too.

Last edited:
They both led their teams in scoring. Hutch had offers from ND, Marquette, Crieghton and others. I dont understand why people doubt them or anyone before they set foot on a court when they did well before and have high major offers. People said the same type of things about Jordan Clarkson and the ISU transfer not being good enough and all Clarkson did was play for the Lakers and others. The ISU PG led SMU to the dance. Smaller schools can have elite talent that slipped through the cracks. Give these guys a chance before we assume they cant play. I expect them to play more than Tev ever will. They weren't brought in to sit a year and then sit again next season.
I agree with you on pretty much all this, BUT the same can be said of Tevian Jones. He wasn’t brought in to sit. Actually, wasn’t he one of those guys that we saw a recruiting pamphlet-type deal that showed year to year progression and going pro?

Deleted member 51

D
Speaking of height, Kofi is no 7 footer and no Brad, he does not have a 7'6" wingspan.

I agree with you on pretty much all this, BUT the same can be said of Tevian Jones. He wasn’t brought in to sit. Actually, wasn’t he one of those guys that we saw a recruiting pamphlet-type deal that showed year to year progression and going pro?
I disagree. These guys sat an entire year that we could have used on someone else but BU wanted them that badly so he took them. That's different than Tev he could play right away and possibly contribute.. Granted they didnt play at a high major but it was at the collegiate level. Hutcherson led his conference in scoring. Also Tev has had the opportunity to play now for a year and a half. We have a good idea what is an expected from him . I was optimistic at first about Tev but my future expectations have a foundation of collegiate games now to base his productivity on.
The transfers played well in college already. Had high DI offers and will have a year in the system Piper said Hutcherson his a higher ceiling than DW and can shoot. Here is a clip I found and competiton on a team is a good thing. I expect them to play in 20 21. Watch the video on this link. Hutch has skill and led his conference and had solid high major offers for a reason.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...all-2020-recruiting-profile-austin-hutcherson

Last edited:
Curbelo is replacing Feliz, Miller replacing Ayo...they may be better in time but as freshman replacing a Senior & Sophomore it doesn't look that much different and talent at guard shouldn't be our weakness...you still have Griffin playing the 4, Giorgi/Kofi playing at Big. I'm not seeing Hawkins as coming in and playing a significant role. I'm not smart enough to know what is wrong with this team now, but replacing 2 veteran guards with a couple of freshman guards in the starting lineup doesn't seem like the magic to all of a sudden make us that much better.
So - win it all this year or all is lost?

progression and going pro?

Don't ever remember this about Tevian Jones? You could easily see in HS, he was very rigid as far as athletically. He still is, he needs to loosen his gait up and play freely (whenever that may be), his shooting and athletic ability were his high points in high school. He has yet to show any of that outside of one game.

Hutch has skill and led his conference and had solid high major offers for a reason.

I think we will be looking at bookends at times next year with Griffin/Hutcherson playing together on the wings/weave. When they are not playing together, I believe we will have absolutely no drop off whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.