2020-2021 Team Makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good programs have quality assistants leave often enough, but the timing of him leaving now would suck esp if it’s a money thing.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
If Antigua bolts for a head coaching gig, that's one thing. If he bolts for an assistant coaching gig, that's entirely another. Would be utterly inexcusable and point directly at either Whitman's oversight or an Underwood personality conflict (FWLIW, don't think so).

Next years team will hinge on Kofi. If he stays we will be competing while most have packed it in. Don’t think Dickage was right about him going pro but he was terrific in that game. If he dominates against Garza and Oturu, may have to rethink next year. Have thought he would have to shoot as well as M. Morgan to go in the first round. Shoot like L. Black and he is a lottery pick. We have replacements for Ayo and Dre but no superman11.
I don't think there is anyone in college who can dominate Garza and Oturu.

"Associate Head Coach" title,

Might not be a bad resume addition after the previous stops issues. Also, don't really see him leaving, IF Kofi is to return, and Curbelo is here...he was the major connection to both. Possibly waiting on the season to runs its course and then seriously sitting down. I mean damn Few has kept his #1 recruiter for nearly his entire time there....lets keep OA...pay the man!

I don't think there is anyone in college who can dominate Garza and Oturu.
Oturu plays Kofi's game, he can be dominated. Garza on the other hand, he is a shifty big who can hit the outside shot at a higher rate than Oturu. Garza is next level....

So the question is..... if Ayo stays, Miller comes, Frazier is a senior, and we have Curbelo. Who starts?
Ayo/TF/ Miller....i also think that it is a bit premature just to assume that the transfers we have sitting may not challenge the newbies for minutes
I doubt Ayo stays regardless of what could happen. It good we have players in waiting. I think people may be sleeping surprised by Hutch.

Beginning to wonder where Hutcherson/Grandison will get most of their minutes? Griffin will get loads, guards will be stacked (especially) if Ayo stays and Miller shows up (doubt it in this case), and Giorgi will be 4/5 for us? Kipper minutes/Griffin relief minutes? Alot of players left in size at same position without a lot of minutes left over?
How or why do we really think or know that Hutch or maybe Grandison may actually be better that AG or others? Hutch had some really good offers in ND, Creighton, Marquette and others. I think Hutch is being way undervalued. He looks really good to me and is a scorer, Depending on what we need from a player he may just be better than AG, I wont assume one way or the other just yet. He looks really good to me. I say that realizing AG has played well too. I am sure Hutch came here to play and knew AG was gonna be here. We have no idea about Verdonk either imo he has not been 100% yet. I would expect one or two transfers with the most likely two being Tev and Hamlin. With a healthy team and transfers i dont know where they will get playing time.

This reminds me of when we were after Jordan Clarkson from Tulsa or Nic Moore and so many didnt think they were all that. These smaller school guys are capable when big time programs want them and should not be assumed to be bench players. Some end up being pros like Clarkson, Duncan Robinson and others. AG may end up being better but he will have to work harder to prove it because these guys didnt come to sit.

Last edited:
Interesting stat assuming Ayo leaves and Kofi stays. We lose 38% of our minutes and 44% of our scoring. We have basically an eight man rotation and we are losing 37% of it. Going to need significant improvement from the five remaining and strong replacements. Hutcherson, Miller, and Curbelo to replace Ayo and Dre. BenV, Hawkins, Tevian, Grandison to replace Kipper. Going to have all summer to debate next Eight man rotation.

Interesting stat assuming Ayo leaves and Kofi stays. We lose 38% of our minutes and 44% of our scoring. We have basically an eight man rotation and we are losing 37% of it. Going to need significant improvement from the five remaining and strong replacements. Hutcherson, Miller, and Curbelo to replace Ayo and Dre. BenV, Hawkins, Tevian, Grandison to replace Kipper. Going to have all summer to debate next Eight man rotation.

I'm pretty confident we'll be able to replace the ballhandling and scoring Feliz and Ayo give us via Miller/Curbelo/Hutch/Grandison, but am a bit concerned about the lack of big wings/4s. Hopefully BBV and Hawkins can provide some solid minutes to add some size at the 4 spot without sacrificing mobility and spacing.

I believe that Curbelo will be better next year than Feliz was this year, no disrespect meant because Feliz is a good player. Curbelo is faster, has better handles and a better jumper and is a fantastic passer. He isn't as strong, but he's got quick hands. Miller will likely shoot better than Ayo but not do the rest as well as Ayo.
Feliz has saved our bacon in two consecutive games. His ability to get to the rim and finish, in crunch time, is going to be very, very difficult for a freshman.

Frazier
Williams
Griffin
Georgi
Kofi

These are next year's starters. Curbelo and Miller will see large minutes, but to think that 4 of our 5 starters now will not be starting next year is silly. Obviously the freshman will see large minutes.

I expect the rotation to expand to 9 or 10 with the new recruits and transfers becoming eligible. Although AM and AC are great recruits there still will be growing pains and although they likely will start i do not expect Ayo type of minutes. Henderson, or Grandiison could get Dre minutes and thsoe two and a healthy Verdonk may dip into some of DWs due to the length and shooting. The question mark for me is Verdonk and Hawkins. Unfortunately we have not had a healthy Verdonk so i am not sure what to expect between t he two of them once they play against B10 players.
I certainly expect Henderson and Grandison to play. I feel that BU really likes their games or he wouldnt have wasted a ride he could have used of this season. I dont think there is much doubt that 4 of the 5 will play. the question mark being Hawkins and seeing who can step up between him and Verdonk. Verdonk would be my because he is physical and strong but we have no real foundation to bse that on since he has been hurt constantly.

With what we currently know as far as next years team and assuming no one comes in or leaves that we dont know of i expect the starters ti be:

TF,AC
AM,Hutch,TF, Grand
AG, Hutch, DW,Grand
GB, BV,DW,Hawk
Kofi, GB, (Hamlin for spot minutes as needed)

It is difficult to do it and when you start messing with the roster you see that although we are losing some key guys that we are getting better. Event though DW has played great in some facets it is clear that is where we need to improve. Depth at the 3 and shooting at the 3. DW may play less next year than this season. I think someone will step up and that could be Hutch. He has length and is a scorer.

Last edited:
I expect the rotation to expand to 9 or 10 with the new recruits and transfers becoming eligible. Although AM and AC are great recruits there still will be growing pains and although they likely will start i do not expect Ayo type of minutes. Henderson, or Grandiison could get Dre minutes and thsoe two and a healthy Verdonk may dip into some of DWs due to the length and shooting. The question mark for me is Verdonk and Hawkins. Unfortunately we have not had a healthy Verdonk so i am not sure what to expect between t he two of them once they play against B10 players.
I certainly expect Henderson and Grandison to play. I feel that BU really likes their games or he wouldnt have wasted a ride he could have used of this season. I dont think there is much doubt that 4 of the 5 will play. the question mark being Hawkins and seeing who can step up between him and Verdonk. Verdonk would be my because he is physical and strong but we have no real foundation to bse that on since he has been hurt constantly.

With what we currently know as far as next years team and assuming no one comes in or leaves that we dont know of i expect the starters ti be:

TF,AC
AM,Hutch,TF, Grand
AG, Hutch, DW,Grand
GB, BV,DW,Hawk
Kofi, GB, (Hamlin for spot minutes as needed)

It is difficult to do it and when you start messing with the roster you see that although we are losing some key guys that we are getting better. Event though DW has played great in some facets it is clear that is where we need to improve. Depth at the 3 and shooting at the 3. DW may play less next year than this season. I think someone will step up and that could be Hutch. He has length and is a scorer.

No way Damonte goes from a starter to 3rd guy deep off the bench. If someone catches fire I could MAAAAYBEEE see DM becoming a 6th man defensive stopper off the bench, but no further down the pecking order than that. I am willing to bet that Damonte and the staff spend this entire offseason working on his offensive game.

Last edited:
No way Damonte goes from a starter to 3rd guy deep off the bench. If someone catches fire I could MAAAAYBEEE see DM becoming a 6th man defensive stopper off the bench, but no further down the pecking order than that. I am willing to bet that Damonte and the staff spend this entire offseason working on his offensive game.
Believe people are underestimating how difficult it will be to replace defensive capability. At this point we are really good this year. It is a combination of ability, experience and attitude. Frosh will need time to connect.

No way Damonte goes from a starter to 3rd guy deep off the bench. If someone catches fire I could MAAAAYBEEE see DM becoming a 6th man defensive stopper off the bench, but no further down the pecking order than that.
I feel DW will play every game but by the time B10 games start he wont be starting with an improved AG, the addition of Hutch, and a healthy Verdonk will hopefully take the back up role at the 4 that has been such an issue. Even if he does start i do feel his minutes will go down with our new additions an a larger rotation.. DW will still play but i think we will be a top 10-15 type of team and what to me is clearly our weakness of shooting at the 3 and shooting and size at the 4 will cause for a slight reduction in his minutes on a team that keeps getting better. DW had a strong finish and played well with AG out but we can keep going with zero scoring and an offensive issue and be a top ten team. Bring on an improved AG. It also has been said repeatedly that Hutch has something this current team could use now. for these exact reasons. Going forward it is pretty clear who is the better player. AG will get more minutes and hopefully we will have better options to back up atthe 4 than DW. The one person i see getting challenged most for a reduction of time is DW. I love DW and all our players. I enjoy listening to diferent perspectives though as to where everyone feels we need to improve in 20-21 to be a top ten team and how we can accomplish it. I think Hutch is going to be really good at the 3 spot brings something this team needs much like AG does, It is fun to talk about our team again positively and getting better each year! Go Illini!

Last edited:
I feel DW will play every game but by the time B10 games start he wont be starting with an improved AG, the addition of Hutch, and a healthy Verdonk will hopefully take the back up role at the 4 that has been such an issue. Even if he does start i do feel his minutes will go down with our new additions an a larger rotation.. DW will still play but i think we will be a top 10-15 type of team and what to me is clearly our weakness of shooting at the 3 and shooting and size at the 4 will cause for a slight reduction in his minutes on a team that keeps getting better. DW had a strong finish and played well with AG out but we can keep going with zero scoring and an offensive issue and be a top ten team. Bring on an improved AG. It also has been said repeatedly that Hutch has something this current team could use now. for these exact reasons. Going forward it is pretty clear who is the better player. AG will get more minutes and hopefully we will have better options to back up atthe 4 than DW. The one person i see getting challenged most for a reduction of time is DW. I love DW and all our players. I enjoy listening to diferent perspectives though as to where everyone feels we need to improve in 20-21 to be a top ten team and how we can accomplish it. I think Hutch is going to be really good at the 3 spot brings something this team needs much like AG does, It is fun to talk about our team again positively and getting better each year! Go Illini!
DW will always be challenged due to his lack of offense. With that said, I dont see it making a difference when you still have Frazier, Griffin, Giorgi and kofi in the starting linup. All 4 of those guys can score and that starting linup has experience playing together.

Go read the preseason threads. Lots of posters were saying the same thing about DM. It didn't happen. I expect next year to hear a preseason full of the same tripe. And to see Damonte in the starting lineup all of next year.

What all of you thinking this way about Damonte are failing to realize is that we are where we are this year because of our DEFENSE, not our offense.... Damonte is THE biggest part of our defense.

Go read the preseason threads. Lots of posters were saying the same thing about DM. It didn't happen. I expect next year to hear a preseason full of the same tripe. And to see Damonte in the starting lineup all of next year.

What all of you thinking this way about Damonte are failing to realize is that we are where we are this year because of our DEFENSE, not our offense.... Damonte is THE biggest part of our defense.
It has a lot more to do with Kofi than any one player impacting the teams defense. along with our guard play. DW is big part of our team and defense but Kofi's interior rim presence, guarding others big is huge and the biggest factor for a number of reasons. I love DW but come on Kofi and BU changes in large part because of Kofi have impacted our team D more than anything. It is also possible for others to improve or someone we havent seen yet to be good or better at both. Either way will be deeper at the 3 and the 4 next year than we are this year and the competition for playing time as we improve will be fun to watch. WE can wait and see and i am glad we are both hoping for Wins. Go Illini!

Last edited:
Millier, ain't coming here to come off bench.
He gets Ayo's spot, other starters will stay the same, IMO. Griffen, Grandison, Hutchison, Curbelo, Hawkins, Jones, BBV, Hamlin, all coming off the bench!! Wow, we gonna be good!

Actually Kofi is THE biggest part of our defense. His presence alone has to be game planned for. He's the one true rim protector on the roster. Without him, things look a lot different. He makes up for defensive breakdowns up top.

He gets Ayo's spot, other starters will stay the same, IMO. Griffen, Grandison, Hutchison, Curbelo, Hawkins, Jones, BBV, Hamlin, all coming off the bench!! Wow, we gonna be good!
With Ayo and Dre leaving we are losing a lot of offense from the guard spot. That is where i hope TF can help a little more but one reason AM, and either AG or Hutch should get a lot of minutes regardless of who starts. That was already starting to happen with AG this year since he was improving in B10 play. Before AGs recent suspension he was headed into that role as far as minutes with DW playing just 15,13 and 19 minutes in the three prior B10 games.
We are losing our best two players at driving to the basket and someone will need to be able to penetrate with the basketball in 20-21. Who can do that for us next season? Those two dudes are great at it and will be missed big time. . We are going to need AM, TF and others to step up, penetrate and score from the wing with two of or top options likely departing before next season. Could be a reason AC play's starter minutes too.

Last edited:
With Trent being a senior next year I’m sure he’s going to play most of the game. Curbelo will play 10-12 min unless he’s absolutely amazing and Underwood has no choice but to give him playing time. Adam Miller will be given the “Ayo” treatment. His body is big ten ready. I’m sure Brad wants him to develop quickly. As for Coleman Hawkins, I’m an advocate for him getting redshirted he has late bloomer written all over. I don’t see how 2 summers with Fletch can hurt his development. I’m still curious what The Bossman can do for us but he looks to be enjoying his time here. I really hope Tevian can carve out a role for himself before the transfers are eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.