2020-2021 Team Makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Trent being a senior next year I’m sure he’s going to play most of the game. Curbelo will play 10-12 min unless he’s absolutely amazing and Underwood has no choice but to give him playing time. Adam Miller will be given the “Ayo” treatment. His body is big ten ready. I’m sure Brad wants him to develop quickly. As for Coleman Hawkins, I’m an advocate for him getting redshirted he has late bloomer written all over. I don’t see how 2 summers with Fletch can hurt his development. I’m still curious what The Bossman can do for us but he looks to be enjoying his time here. I really hope Tevian can carve out a role for himself before the transfers are eligible.
I expect TF to play a lot much like he is this year but you are probably right he could play more because of his offense. However i feel AC will play close to starter type minutes because he is such an elite ball handler that can make others better. IOur team could be batter as a whole if his PG skills are as advertised. I wouldnt be shocked at all that AC gets half the time at the point and TF, AM, AG, Hutch or another shooter get on the floor with AC and the big boys down low. It will be fun to see what an elite pass first PG can do with that type of line up. Whether off the bench or not i wouldnt be shocked if AC got minutes close to what Dre has this season at the PG. TF wont just play PG with the addition of a talent like AC. .

DB11Headband

Chicago Burbs
I’ll put my beach house on Adam Miller being in the starting lineup game 1 next year. Curbelo I could see coming off the beach as well as Griffin, as BU seems to like him in that role. For my money the starters game 1 will be Kofi, Giorgi, DMW, Miller, and Trent. It won’t be long before Curbelo forces BU to start him, shifting DMW to the bench

I’ll put my beach house on Adam Miller being in the starting lineup game 1 next year. Curbelo I could see coming off the beach as well as Griffin, as BU seems to like him in that role. For my money the starters game 1 will be Kofi, Giorgi, DMW, Miller, and Trent. It won’t be long before Curbelo forces BU to start him, shifting DMW to the bench
Maybe but the main reason i feel AC comes off the bench is that makes us very small on the outside if AM, 6'3'', TF 6'2'' and AC 6'0'' all start and TF will start That group would certain spread the floor but so would TF or AC with AM and another shooter like AG or Hutch, plus DW will play.. Either way that is why AC plays a lot along with those guys. Plus AC seems to be able to penetrate and distribute the basketball.

Last edited:
With Trent being a senior next year I’m sure he’s going to play most of the game. Curbelo will play 10-12 min unless he’s absolutely amazing and Underwood has no choice but to give him playing time. Adam Miller will be given the “Ayo” treatment. His body is big ten ready. I’m sure Brad wants him to develop quickly. As for Coleman Hawkins, I’m an advocate for him getting redshirted he has late bloomer written all over. I don’t see how 2 summers with Fletch can hurt his development. I’m still curious what The Bossman can do for us but he looks to be enjoying his time here. I really hope Tevian can carve out a role for himself before the transfers are eligible.

What Ayo got was not so much a treatment as the result of picking a particular situation to play ball. It sure feels/felt like treatment but I think part of that is just being viewed as savior. When he came into the program, there was not much competition for those minutes and not much talent on the roster, but we're in a different spot now (albeit still early). I hope Miller is not given a starting spot unless it is by way of earning it -- I think it would establish a dangerous precedent (two's a pattern) for both (in this case) top recruits and Chicago/MIF players. Miller isn't that much better than AC in rankings and I could see that being narrowed by season's end. What happens if by year's end AC is ranked 30 and Miller is 35?

I hope Miller is the real deal and starts from Day 1 because of that, since that's best for him and for our team. But if he's being outplayed -- if he's the Mark Smith to AC's Trent Frazier -- and TF, AH, and AG all prove they need to be on the court too, then I don't want to be the program that keeps the starting lineup one way just to appease power brokers elsewhere. Some teams are Villanova and get the Jalen Brunson's and bring them off the bench in a small but crucial role on a highly successful team; and some teams are Lorenzo Romar's U Dub teams that focus on a few big fish rather than the program. I'd rather be the former.

Last edited:
Projecting recruits into roles is so tough, particularly as the team improves and there's more competition for minutes. I could see Curbelo coming in here and being a wizard and earning 25-30 minutes very quickly, or I could see him taking some time to adjust to the size of the B1G and see about 10-15.

What Ayo got was not so much a treatment as the result of picking a particular situation to play ball. It sure feels/felt like treatment but I think part of that is just being viewed as savior. When he came into the program, there was not much competition for those minutes and not much talent on the roster, but we're in a different spot now (albeit still early). I hope Miller is not given a starting spot unless it is by way of earning it -- I think it would establish a dangerous precedent (two's a pattern) for both (in this case) top recruits and Chicago/MIF players. Miller isn't that much better than AC in rankings and I could see that being narrowed by season's end. What happens if by year's end AC is ranked 30 and Miller is 35?

I hope Miller is the real deal and starts from Day 1 because of that, since that's best for him and for our team. But if he's being outplayed -- if he's the Mark Smith to AC's Trent Frazier -- and TF, AH, and AG all prove they need to be on the court too, then I don't want to be the program that keeps the starting lineup one way just to appease power brokers elsewhere. Some teams are Villanova and get the Jalen Brunson's and bring them off the bench in a small but crucial role on a highly successful team; and some teams are Lorenzo Romar's U Dub teams that focus on a few big fish rather than the program. I'd rather be the former.
While a lot of player will be competing with each other for minutes at their respective positions. I dont think AM and AC will be competing with each other for them AC is clearly a PG and will be running the show from the one when in the game. Unless something bad happens AC and TF should have the PG spot on lock down. AM will play the shooting guard 2 role. IT will be nice to have such an elite shooter as AM. I am curious to see what else could occur to positively effect next seasons roster this off season.

How about the chalet if you are really so sure?

I'm not overly optimistic about the transfers.
Why not? HAve you seen his play for a 6'6'' PG? BU has had success when he has had time to evaluate players after the first season. Why would he waste two full rides we could use now if he didnt think they can play? He clearly would not waste them. IT is not like the last minute addition of Hamlin when Kouma couldnt get in. Also ND, Creighton, Marquette and other quality programs wanted Hutch big time too. I am confident he will play and play often. Many said the same thing about the JuCo transfer Dre too. I dont have any reason not to expect them to be just fine, especially Hutch. This is a five minute game video i cant get enough of. His shot is pure, he is smooth for a 6'6'' PG. Check it out and think about the scorer Marquette has, what Creighton did today, and what our own JuCo in Dre has accomplished. I am very optimistic about this addition. No way would BU sign them to sit a year if he did not expect them to compete and play here from day one once they are eligible.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ives-of-his-games-to-land-with-a-big-ten-team

Last edited:
Have no idea about playing time next year but believe two years of college and a year practicing with the team is a lot more experience than HS and AAU. Just seems some people are hung up on the stars. I’m going with the coaches.

Why not? HAve you seen his play for a 6'6'' PG? BU has had success when he has had time to evaluate players after the first season. Why would he waste two full rides we could use now if he didnt think they can play? He clearly would not waste them. IT is not like the last minute addition of Hamlin when Kouma couldnt get in. Also ND, Creighton, Marquette and other quality programs wanted Hutch big time too. I am confident he will play and play often. Many said the same thing about the JuCo transfer Dre too. I dont have any reason not to expect them to be just fine, especially Hutch. This is a five minute game video i cant get enough of. His shot is pure, he is smooth for a 6'6'' PG. Check it out and think about the scorer Marquette has, what Creighton did today, and what our own JuCo in Dre has accomplished. I am very optimistic about this addition. No way would BU sign them to sit a year if he did not expect them to compete and play here from day one once they are eligible.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ives-of-his-games-to-land-with-a-big-ten-team
Well, first my optimism is often tempered. :)

As to Dre, I was very optimistic. Highly regarded out of high school with a great juco career.

You're right. Marquette, ND and Creighton wanted Hutch. So my take is that he's a guy who's going to play like a 100-200 level player. Could be nice. Could fizzle. Time will tell.

I'm really optimistic on Curbelo. His rankings and reviews reminds me of the rise of Jawun Evans. Of course, this time our coach landed the fast rising player.

Well, first my optimism is often tempered. :)

As to Dre, I was very optimistic. Highly regarded out of high school with a great juco career.

You're right. Marquette, ND and Creighton wanted Hutch. So my take is that he's a guy who's going to play like a 100-200 level player. Could be nice. Could fizzle. Time will tell.

I'm really optimistic on Curbelo. His rankings and reviews reminds me of the rise of Jawun Evans. Of course, this time our coach landed the fast rising player.
After the top 50 or so I dont get all the obsession with tagging numbers to every player especailly after they have left high school. We could make a list of elite college and pros that were and are late bloomers. It happens every year. When I looked at that.video Hutch reminded me of the kind of guys John B. recruited at Michigan a team I hope we can play like when he was there. He an very confident he will play and for smaller guards at 6'6", long and being a scorer can cause problems for our opponents on both ends. I kind if wish we had him this year because he can play spot minutes at the 1,and would be solid at the 2 ,or 3 Anyway thanks for your response and Go Illini!

Last edited:
Have no idea about playing time next year but believe two years of college and a year practicing with the team is a lot more experience than HS and AAU. Just seems some people are hung up on the stars. I’m going with the coaches.
Go t nothing to do with being hung up on stars. All about recruiting and wanting to get future big time players.

After the top 50 or so I dont get all the obsession with tagging numbers to every player especailly after they have left high school. We could make a list of elite college and pros that were and are late bloomers. It happens every year. When I looked at that.video Hutch reminded me of the kind of guys John B. recruited at Michigan a team I hope we can play like when he was there. He an very confident he will play and for smaller guards at 6'6", long and being a scorer can cause problems for our opponents on both ends. I kind if wish we had him this year because he can play spot minutes at the 1,and would be solid at the 2 ,or 3 Anyway thanks for your response and Go Illini!

Dont think people are obsessed with rankings they are just the only somewhat objective measure we fans have to estimate percentage chance of success. Tons of exceptions of the rules and lots to like from his film,offers and push from high level players he was training with to speed up his own timetable to go for D1 offer up a year. We don't need him to be a starter. We desperately need better shooting off the bench and good defense(plus hopefully some upperclassman leadership) which after all this extra training he should be able to provide.

Last edited:
Let it suffice to say we all think we will be fine at 1-3 next year. Not sure who will fill the holes but lots of talent competing. I am not as confident in the depth of 4-5. Giorgi and Kofi among the best but who are the backups? BBV looks like a banger and has the body (assuming healthy). Have not seen him play enough to make any judgements but wonder about his quickness. Jermaine still looks lost in his limited minutes. Is freshman Hawkins going to be ready for substantial minutes? Or will we go small ala Kipper with one of the 6’6” guys? Stay tuned in October and hope this board has it figured out by then so we can tell coach.

Just for fun, would the posters on here rather have a great shooter like Fredricks from Iowa, or a athlete like Whitney if a scholarship was available for next year's team?

Just for fun, would the posters on here rather have a great shooter like Fredricks from Iowa, or a athlete like Whitney if a scholarship was available for next year's team?

next year I think we’ll have enough shooting I think an elite athlete gives us something we won’t have.

Rather have an athlete that can shoot like Alan Griffin.

ILFaninFL

Nature Coast in Florida
Shooter

With our current squad, the shooter is way to go. If he lights it up the rest of the team can then hit the boards, slash for lobs, etc. A consistant threat from outside is the equalizer...an athlete only has that to offer.

Rather have an athlete that can shoot like Alan Griffin.
Sometimes younger fans get awed by athletes and forget that it is a game of skill also and the team that puts the ball in the net the most wins. I like kids with good athleticism who can handle, shoot, pass, and defend with elite skill. When you find and elite athlete with those skills, they only play a year and then go play in the NBA for 20 million per and there are not many of those. This Illini team has 7 guys that can score, 4 that are passably efficient at shooting from various distances, they try to use them all and support each other. Yes, we all would love to see DW score 6-8 pts a game in some fashion and efficiency, but that is not going to happen...and yet he is a priceless contributor in many other ways.

What may be sorely missed next year is a player who affects the game like Kofi if he does not stay another year as his defense is priceless. It would be great to have had Kane available to back him up defensively. Not likely Hamlin or Hawkins will have much value but we can all hope they grow into it quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.