2020-2021 Team Makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barring anything spectacular from happening, we will be looking at a team (starter) makeup of:

Andre Curbelo PG Ranked 56 Nationally and 4* (Trent plays this while he is out)
Trent Frazier SG-Ranked 108 Nationally and 4* (Miller is this while Trent moves over)
Adam Miller CG/W-Ranked 32 Nationally and 4* (Grandison-Hutcherson-Hawkins here)
Alan Griffin SF/W-Ranked 185 Nationally and 3* (Giorgi-Grandison-Hutcherson-Hawkins here)
Kofi Cockburn C- Ranked 46 Nationally and 4* (Giorgi-Hamlin)

Recruiting is obviously better overall since this coaching staff has arrived. Still think we see a transfer and Ayo will be leaving as well, regardless of play from here on out.
I believe we will look for one other player yet, and I would suspect a grad transfer if a spot frees up.

Starting lineup next year should be Senior, Junior, Soph, Fresh/Fresh, regardless of schedule/youth/etc, we had better do very very well next year?

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
Assume we see a transfer and Ayo stays. What are the chances of Miller showing up?
I’m a bit pessimistic about his coming to Illinois even if Ayo goes, but if Ayo doesn’t...I see the chances at roughly zero.

Barring anything spectacular from happening, we will be looking at a team (starter) makeup of:

Trent Frazier SG-Ranked 108 Nationally and 4* (Miller is this while Trent moves over)
Adam Miller CG/W-Ranked 32 Nationally and 4* (Grandison-Hutcherson-Hawkins here)
Alan Griffin SF/W-Ranked 185 Nationally and 3* (Giorgi-Grandison-Hutcherson-Hawkins here)

Recruiting is obviously better overall since this coaching staff has arrived. Still think we see a transfer and Ayo will be leaving as well, regardless of play from here on out.
I believe we will look for one other player yet, and I would suspect a grad transfer if a spot frees up.

Starting lineup next year should be Senior, Junior, Soph, Fresh/Fresh, regardless of schedule/youth/etc, we had better do very very well next year?
Senior DMW is not playing in this lineup? I wouldn't bet on that. But it looks like a talented roster on paper. Then again, so does the current one...

One way or another Ayo is gone. My feeling is that his family has a game plan, in which he earns in the coming year onwards. Besides I feel Ayo will develop far better in the pro than at the college level.

Miller will come.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
One way or another Ayo is gone. My feeling is that his family has a game plan, in which he earns in the coming year onwards. Besides I feel Ayo will develop far better in the pro than at the college level.

Miller will come.
Thank you for curbing my lack of enthusiasm (y)

It seems AG will surpass DW if he hasnt earned that already. I expect our starters to be AC, TF,AM, Kofi, and GB. I know Trent is a Sr next year but minute wise I wouldn't be shocked if AG continues to improve if his minutes dont surpass or equal TF. am also very excited about our two transfers and expect us to add a Big ur Bernard.
I would not be shocked if Tev and or Hamlin transferred out since I think they will move down and not up the depth chart.

Last edited:
Senior DMW is not playing in this lineup? I wouldn't bet on that. But it looks like a talented roster on paper. Then again, so does the current one...

Senior DMW will give way to being a coaches player and teaching building teammates up from bench and off the bench. Don't see him starting over anyone listed with offensive problems.

I watched a Luhi game today.Curbelo alone will make us a better team next year.Very good passer and ball handler.Keeps his head up and sees the court off the dribble.I was very pleasantly surprised.Cant wait to see him suit up for us next year.

My concern is we still haven't addressed the 4, I haven't given up on Giorgi growing into a 4, but if he does we still need another big to develop. Honestly this proposed roster looks like this year's roster.

My concern is we still haven't addressed the 4, I haven't given up on Giorgi growing into a 4, but if he does we still need another big to develop. Honestly this proposed roster looks like this year's roster.
We will need Ben to grow into that or Hawkins to show as a frosh. However at this point our biggest weakness seems to be the guard’s shooting. Like to blame it on the coaching strategy of balance but Trent has 18 in three league games that should be enough to get in a rhythm. Don’t think you can even make a judgement on assists when the only shots they make are layups. The games we lost big last year were bad shooting nights for both Ayo and Trent. Everyone’s nos are down from last year when we weren’t great. If you just look at the MSU box score we look great in everything except shooting %. Their % wasn’t great except compared to ours.

Last edited:
Really who might be this years Curbelo, Miller and even Hawkins?
Curbelo is replacing Feliz, Miller replacing Ayo...they may be better in time but as freshman replacing a Senior & Sophomore it doesn't look that much different and talent at guard shouldn't be our weakness...you still have Griffin playing the 4, Giorgi/Kofi playing at Big. I'm not seeing Hawkins as coming in and playing a significant role. I'm not smart enough to know what is wrong with this team now, but replacing 2 veteran guards with a couple of freshman guards in the starting lineup doesn't seem like the magic to all of a sudden make us that much better.

Curbelo is replacing Feliz, Miller replacing Ayo...they may be better in time but as freshman replacing a Senior & Sophomore it doesn't look that much different and talent at guard shouldn't be our weakness...you still have Griffin playing the 4, Giorgi/Kofi playing at Big. I'm not seeing Hawkins as coming in and playing a significant role. I'm not smart enough to know what is wrong with this team now, but replacing 2 veteran guards with a couple of freshman guards in the starting lineup doesn't seem like the magic to all of a sudden make us that much better.
Entirely too logical and out of place with unrealistic expectations.

doesn't seem like the magic to all of a sudden make us that much better

You may be right on this one, you also may be right in your own personal assessment as well, if you think Curbelo is Feliz....not even close. Curbelo will come in from day 1 and own the backcourt with Trent/Miller. Miller is a better perimeter shooter, I may even say better athlete/scorer also than ouyr current version.

Ken

chitown
I'm not smart enough to know what is wrong with this team now, but replacing 2 veteran guards with a couple of freshman guards in the starting lineup doesn't seem like the magic to all of a sudden make us that much better.

depends on the guards because at this point in college basketball freshmen ,junior or senior doesn't matter much . If guys are good they are good and adding a top pg ALWAYS helps .

Pure pg freshman can easily have just as big of a impact as departing upper class combo guards .

They are upgrades from day one over the senior and sophomore, especially Curbelo believe it or not.

I believe this as well. Their skills and Curbelo being a willing passer is something I'm really excited about. I just hope this year doesn't turn into a disaster, Underwood gets canned (I think even with an NIT bid, while disappointing, he sticks around) and Curbelo, Miller & Hawkins all go somewhere else unless we stay in house and Antigua becomes head coach, but it seems like that rarely happens these days.

I'm already getting ahead of myself but man I hope BBV can start earning some playing time and then take a leap next year. That type of strong, athletic, fast big is exactly what we lack right now, especially if he can stretch the floor. Playing him as a stretch 4 next to Kofi would (theoretically) be awesome.

I'm very excited for what this team can look like next year, on paper at least. Finally getting a true PG/floor general, hopefully will sub Adam Miller (shooting!) for Ayo, and will add Austin Hutcherson on the wing. With Hamlin looking like a legit playable big, we just need BBV to pop and we will be a very talented and deep team.

Oh, and Kofi please stay.

I think everyone is overlooking the importance of Hutcherson and/or Grandison being able to come in and not just be servicable, but be solid B1G players. We NEED one of them to come in and be able to knock down shots and defend at a high level.

Has anyone heard what Hutcherson and/or Grandison are looking like in practice

Status
Not open for further replies.