2020-2021 Team Makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been paying attention to Hawkins since he committed. Needs to get stronger and learn how to defend other bigs. He won’t light it up right out of the gates, but he’s good enough offensively to get some minutes right away. He can shoot and his handles are really darn good for a 6’10 kid. Can be a really dynamic player and mismatch in a couple years.

Add in a more developed Giorgi (I'm still hopeful he can put some things together at the 4 before the season is over) as well as Jacob Grandison and possibly Tevian Jones being able to contribute at the 4.
I'm hopeful for Giorgi at the 4 as well, at the very least I think there will be times when it is nice to have a couple bigs in the game. I'm also thinking that Griffin will be the better option as a stretch 4 than Tevian down the road (I'm a wait & see on Grandison), it is about more than height & Griffin has shown more toughness/fight to play at the 4.

I did omit this and he will play, just alot less minutes...he will assume the Jordan role imo.
During his senior year, AJ was third on the team in minutes. So I guess I don't really know what you mean by "the Jordan role".

illini80

Forgottonia
The Miller talk of "he isn't coming if Ayo stays" is dying down. Plus the UM Miller talk is almost non existent.
Good news, but if he keeps scoring 50 he will have many options if he chooses to look around. With this teams shooting woes, we need him badly in O&B.

I'm hopeful for Giorgi at the 4 as well, at the very least I think there will be times when it is nice to have a couple bigs in the game. I'm also thinking that Griffin will be the better option as a stretch 4 than Tevian down the road (I'm a wait & see on Grandison), it is about more than height & Griffin has shown more toughness/fight to play at the 4.

Size matters (only those without it say it doesn't) but I definitely agree that it's about much more than just being tall or having a long wingspan.

That being said I think our roster, in order of most likely to see more minutes (regardless of starters), is something like:

(Sr) Trent Frazier (6-2)
(Jr) Alan Griffin (6-5)
(So) Kofi Cockburn (7-0)
(Jr) Giorgi Bezhanishvili (6-9)
(Fr) Adam Miller (6-3)
(Fr) Andre Curbelo (6-0)
(Sr) Da'Monte Williams (6-3)
-- Above = Known contributor --- Below = potential breakout/developing players --
(Jr) Austin Hutcherson / (Jr) Jacob Grandison / (Jr) Tevian Jones
(So) Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk / (Fr) Coleman Hawkins
(So) Jermaine Hamlin

Kofi, Giorgi, and Griffin are our only known players over 6'-3". I'd love for one or more of the below the line players to jump the depth chart as everyone below the line is at least 6'-6" or taller with the potential to be a shooter.

The Miller talk of "he isn't coming if Ayo stays" is dying down. Plus the UM Miller talk is almost non existent.
Miller and Ayo won a State title playing together, so I never understood that talk and never saw anything close to that from Miller or his people.

So the question is..... if Ayo stays, Miller comes, Frazier is a senior, and we have Curbelo. Who starts?

I think everyone is overlooking the importance of Hutcherson and/or Grandison being able to come in and not just be servicable, but be solid B1G players. We NEED one of them to come in and be able to knock down shots and defend at a high level.

I have high hopes for Hutcherson in particular (primarily since there's more film on him). If his shooting can translate against B1G defense, watch out. You have to think a guy with his talent level was getting everything defenses could throw at him, so hopefully the step up isn't as harsh as it otherwise may be.

We know them all?

I'm not sure what you're questioning.

Either that Kofi may leave, which is definitely possible but I'm working under the assumption that he does not.
That Adam Miller doesn't join, which is also possible but again I'm working under the assumption that he ends up with Illinois.
Or that Giorgi/Griffin are unknown commodities in what they bring to the table and haven't yet earned significant minutes. I would disagree if this is what you're saying.

So the question is..... if Ayo stays, Miller comes, Frazier is a senior, and we have Curbelo. Who starts?

At the beginning of the season the starters would be: (Sr) Trent / (Jr) Ayo / (Jr) Alan / (Jr) Giorgi / (So) Kofi
and first off the bench (potential to earn starter) would be: (Fr) Adam / (Jr) Austin / (Jr) Jacob / (Jr) Tevian
other bench players who probably wouldn't start but could see increased minutes: (Fr) Andre / (Jr) Da'Monte / (So) Ben
other players who probably wouldn't get many minutes: (So) Jermaine / (Fr) Coleman

Also someone would lose their scholarship. Most likely: (Jr) Tevian / (So) Jermaine / (Fr) Coleman / (So) Ben / (Jr) Da'Monte
But this isn't going to happen. Either Ayo or Kofi will go pro OR Adam wont come to Illinois.

I think the Miller doesn’t come if Ayo stays talk comes from him not signing, but at this point we have no open scholarships. I think he’s an Illini regardless. I think someone who is not getting significant playing time this year will transfer out (Hamlin, Verdonk, Jones) or one of the transfers this year (Hutcherson,Grandison) realize in practice where they’re at on the depth chart. My guess is Hamlin ( giving how late he signed) is the one to go. JMO

Beginning to wonder where Hutcherson/Grandison will get most of their minutes? Griffin will get loads, guards will be stacked (especially) if Ayo stays and Miller shows up (doubt it in this case), and Giorgi will be 4/5 for us? Kipper minutes/Griffin relief minutes? Alot of players left in size at same position without a lot of minutes left over?

Beginning to wonder where Hutcherson/Grandison will get most of their minutes? Griffin will get loads, guards will be stacked (especially) if Ayo stays and Miller shows up (doubt it in this case), and Giorgi will be 4/5 for us? Kipper minutes/Griffin relief minutes? Alot of players left in size at same position without a lot of minutes left over?

that’s a good thing

This is exactly what I have been wondering. Seems like they are too small to play the four and the 1-3 are loaded (even if Tevian transfers). Small ball again?

I think the Miller doesn’t come if Ayo stays talk comes from him not signing, but at this point we have no open scholarships. I think he’s an Illini regardless. I think someone who is not getting significant playing time this year will transfer out (Hamlin, Verdonk, Jones) or one of the transfers this year (Hutcherson,Grandison) realize in practice where they’re at on the depth chart. My guess is Hamlin ( giving how late he signed) is the one to go. JMO
I think as of now, Jones is the most likely to transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.