2020-2021 Team Makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trent and Miller yes, not anyone else on the team will cut into any time for Curbelo. This kid is the real deal, paired with OA working with him and similiar backgrounds, I think the kid flourishes from day one for us.

I disagree with that logic. Just because a guy plays the point exclusively doesn't mean that his minutes are not impacted by what's going on with the rest of the team.

For example if at the start of the season the minute distribution is
Curbelo: 20 at the 1
Trent/Miller: combined 60 at the 1/2
Griffin: 30 at the 3
Hutcherson/Jones/Grandison/Hawkins/Verdonk/Williams: 30 at the 3/4
Giorgi: 20 at the 4 & 10 at the 5
Kofi: 30 at the 5

As you can see it looks like Curbelo is only competing with Trent and Miller for minutes on the surface. However, if Hutcherson/Jones/Grandison/Hawkins/Verdonk/Williams step up and demand more than 30 minutes due to playing well and Griffin/Giorgi are playing well enough to not take their minutes, then the Trent/Miller minutes will shift more towards the 1/2 and Curbelo's minutes will be cut.

Trent and Miller yes, not anyone else on the team will cut into any time for Curbelo. This kid is the real deal, paired with OA working with him and similiar backgrounds, I think the kid flourishes from day one for us.

We all see the Big Three stats from Curbelo in his HS games (pts/reb/asists). How is his defense? I realize being a good defender in HS doesn't necessarily transfer to P5 basketball, but if his defensive fundamentals are solid and he's not just a good defender because hes' quicker/longer than his opponents, that bodes well.

We all know that bad D will get you benched by BU.

You’re right! Still not sure he starts from day one and I know Brad doesn’t care who starts. Underwood will make those tough decisions base on seeing these kids in practice everyday

I disagree with that logic. Just because a guy plays the point exclusively doesn't mean that his minutes are not impacted by what's going on with the rest of the team.

For example if at the start of the season the minute distribution is
Curbelo: 20 at the 1
Trent/Miller: combined 60 at the 1/2
Griffin: 30 at the 3
Hutcherson/Jones/Grandison/Hawkins/Verdonk/Williams: 30 at the 3/4
Giorgi: 20 at the 4 & 10 at the 5
Kofi: 30 at the 5

As you can see it looks like Curbelo is only competing with Trent and Miller for minutes on the surface. However, if Hutcherson/Jones/Grandison/Hawkins/Verdonk/Williams step up and demand more than 30 minutes due to playing well and Griffin/Giorgi are playing well enough to not take their minutes, then the Trent/Miller minutes will shift more towards the 1/2 and Curbelo's minutes will be cut.
Well said and that’s not a slight on Curbelo, he will get his minutes and he is our point guard of the future. But this team has so many interchangeable pieces and they will all be stealing minutes from each other

You’re right! Still not sure he starts from day one and I know Brad doesn’t care who starts. Underwood will make those tough decisions base on seeing these kids in practice everyday

The best thing about Curbelo early for us, is his style of play. He isn't rushed or hurried in almost any video you watch. Already having that pace about him will enable the B1G game to slow down for him imo.

As you can see it looks like Curbelo is only competing with Trent and Miller for minutes on the surface.

It looks this way because it will be this way. Any player outside of one that can handle the ball primarily, bring the ball up a majority of the time, set the offense in motion, will not cut into any potential minutes for Curbelo.

The same applies to say "Hutcherson/Jones/Grandison/Hawkins/Verdonk/Williams: 30 at the 3/4" Curbelo no way figures into these minutes one way or another.

Next year the only player(s) that compete directly with AC will be TF, and possibly-possibly Miller. No one and I mean No one else can handle the ball that extensively against B1G caliber talent/pressure.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
We all see the Big Three stats from Curbelo in his HS games (pts/reb/asists). How is his defense? I realize being a good defender in HS doesn't necessarily transfer to P5 basketball, but if his defensive fundamentals are solid and he's not just a good defender because hes' quicker/longer than his opponents, that bodes well.

We all know that bad D will get you benched by BU.

His D is VG, but high D1 is entirely another animal. Given his compete level and hoops IQ, I expect him to be at least competent defensively. Anything more than that though, is gravy (talking about his frosh year).

Would we all be happy if Curbelo turned out to be say Brevin Knight as a freshman and forward? 10-16 pts for a career at Stanford, led the team, got drafted 1st round. Possibly a fair comparision and possibly likely?

It looks this way because it will be this way. Any player outside of one that can handle the ball primarily, bring the ball up a majority of the time, set the offense in motion, will not cut into any potential minutes for Curbelo.

The same applies to say "Hutcherson/Jones/Grandison/Hawkins/Verdonk/Williams: 30 at the 3/4" Curbelo no way figures into these minutes one way or another.

Next year the only player(s) that compete directly with AC will be TF, and possibly-possibly Miller. No one and I mean No one else can handle the ball that extensively against B1G caliber talent/pressure.
Agree with this but if Trent plays 25 mins at the pt because Miller and others are very effective at the two then it reduces Curbelo’s time. It appears that is happening to Dre’s time with Alan playing well. Trent, Ayo, and Alan rather than Trent, Ayo and Dre.

Trent, Ayo, and Alan rather than Trent, Ayo and Dre.

Good point, I guess either way it will be a good problem to have. I personally can't wait to see Curbelo run our offense and breakdown the interior defenses with his cuts with the ball.

I think the Miller doesn’t come if Ayo stays talk comes from him not signing, but at this point we have no open scholarships. I think he’s an Illini regardless. I think someone who is not getting significant playing time this year will transfer out (Hamlin, Verdonk, Jones) or one of the transfers this year (Hutcherson,Grandison) realize in practice where they’re at on the depth chart. My guess is Hamlin ( giving how late he signed) is the one to go. JMO

I don't see how/why Hamlin would transfer out when he's already been playing, and that only figures to increase. We're not getting another center, so unless Kofi stays and he really believes he should be a 30 min/game player at the high major level, I don't see a reason he would leave.

If Tevian continues to play as little as he has, I could see him leaving. His time here hasn't exactly gone to plan and he could see that road only getting tougher with our recruits and transfers.

I don't see how/why Hamlin would transfer out when he's already been playing, and that only figures to increase. We're not getting another center, so unless Kofi stays and he really believes he should be a 30 min/game player at the high major level, I don't see a reason he would leave.

If Tevian continues to play as little as he has, I could see him leaving. His time here hasn't exactly gone to plan and he could see that road only getting tougher with our recruits and transfers.
Don’t know if Kouma is still a possibility but agree that Hamlin wouldn’t be transferring either way. Jones playing time is going to depend on progress of BBV and Hamlin. He will be able to measure that himself based on practices if he is realistic. Hawkins would be the wildcard in that equation. He would be more of a direct replacement for Jones as I see it. Like these problems more than we need 8 recruits to replace transfers and graduates.

Don’t know if Kouma is still a possibility but agree that Hamlin wouldn’t be transferring either way. Jones playing time is going to depend on progress of BBV and Hamlin. He will be able to measure that himself based on practices if he is realistic. Hawkins would be the wildcard in that equation. He would be more of a direct replacement for Jones as I see it. Like these problems more than we need 8 recruits to replace transfers and graduates.

Agreed. When was the last time that we realistically had more talent than available playing time?

I personally can't wait to see Curbelo run our offense and breakdown the interior defenses with his cuts with the ball.
This is interesting, got me thinking (which is always a bit dangerous) , but Trent Meacham on Werner show Thursday commented on Trent Frazier's lack of turnovers the last few games...something to the effect Trent doesn't probe the defense as much as Ayo which is why you should expect less turnovers from Trent than Ayo. assuming Ayo is gone, Feliz is gone...your point above probably is something where Curbelo can provide an added piece next year where we may fall off a bit. Maybe Miller/Griffin/... provide enough of this at the 2/3 that it isn't a problem, but certainly a gap we will be weaker in without Ayo/Dre.

After the Groce years of every guard could be the next PG I was never sold,, but I recall Underwood thinking one of Hutcherson/Grandison could play pg (yes I'm too lazy to see which one)...having a pg with that size length could at least in situations provide some advantages, I'm skeptical & think it Miller is probably the answer if we want to go a bit bigger at PG, but throwing it out there.

You may be right on this one, you also may be right in your own personal assessment as well, if you think Curbelo is Feliz....not even close. Curbelo will come in from day 1 and own the backcourt with Trent/Miller. Miller is a better perimeter shooter, I may even say better athlete/scorer also than ouyr current version.
Back to where you started, looking better next year & improved lineup, my main point wasn't so much player to player comparisons, but we are pretty strong at guard today, not that large of margin for improvement, skill wise between Trent/Dre/Ayo we are pretty good at distributing, Ayo led the team in scoring as a freshman that is a pretty high bar to clear for Miller/Curbelo...it is nothing against either, I expect both of them to be good, so that was more my point in saying it looks the same. I will be quite happy next year to hold serve at guard, getting better just seems a bit optimistic. Kofi is back, so that looks similiar, still seems unsure how we solve the 4, so that looks the same. Sure hopefully everyone returning progresses, so we should get better, but that is differnt than looking significantly better on paper. Convince me we figure out the 4 or how it looks different next year...but right now the overall roster looks pretty similiar...getting better will take growth of most of the current roster + ideally someone stepping at at the 4.

Back to where you started, looking better next year & improved lineup, my main point wasn't so much player to player comparisons, but we are pretty strong at guard today, not that large of margin for improvement, skill wise between Trent/Dre/Ayo we are pretty good at distributing, Ayo led the team in scoring as a freshman that is a pretty high bar to clear for Miller/Curbelo...it is nothing against either, I expect both of them to be good, so that was more my point in saying it looks the same. I will be quite happy next year to hold serve at guard, getting better just seems a bit optimistic. Kofi is back, so that looks similiar, still seems unsure how we solve the 4, so that looks the same. Sure hopefully everyone returning progresses, so we should get better, but that is differnt than looking significantly better on paper. Convince me we figure out the 4 or how it looks different next year...but right now the overall roster looks pretty similiar...getting better will take growth of most of the current roster + ideally someone stepping at at the 4.

Curbelo is an über-dynamic PG, along the lines of Frank Williams. Felix is a very good player, but not in Curbelo's class. Curable is much quicker, has WAY better handles and shoots better than Feliz.

Hawkins gives us the stretch 4 we need, plus lots of length at 6'10". He's got really good handles for a guy his size, plays like he used to be a guard. He will make an impact at the 4, plus Giorgi is still around and Griffen can play there in a small line-up.

If Ayo stays, we have a chance to be a really, really good team. Even without him, we'll be a strong, top 3 in the B1G kind of team.

He's got that high end quickness. He'll be a + defender, from day 1, imo.

Trent/Dre/Ayo we are pretty good at distributing

Agree to disagree on this point for sure, so far this year we haven't distributed well. The last 2-3 game different story, mostly I think, because Trent is bringing the ball up, handling mostly the traditional PG duties which puts others in motion and creates lanes. We should look to be pretty good at distributing the rest of the year however.

but I recall Underwood thinking one of Hutcherson/Grandison

I believe you are referencing Grandison? Either way there will be a dropoff from Senior/NBA soph to 6'-170pd freshman, I just think Curbelo is so good and so smooth with international experience, it may be mimimum? Either way good discussions thanks.

Curbelo is an über-dynamic PG, along the lines of Frank Williams. Felix is a very good player, but not in Curbelo's class. Curable is much quicker, has WAY better handles and shoots better than Feliz. Curbelo may end up as good as Frankie, but that is a very high bar, especially for a freshman...I'm hopeful he is that good next year, but I'm not expecting it,especially as a freshman...I also think we will miss Dre, he brings a lot of leadership and heart and has some size/strength advantages that he uses well.

Hawkins gives us the stretch 4 we need, plus lots of length at 6'10". He's got really good handles for a guy his size, plays like he used to be a guard. He will make an impact at the 4, plus Giorgi is still around and Griffen can play there in a small line-up. Hawkins may get there, but for next year thinking he will step in and even make the rotation is way farther than I'm willing to go. We can play small ball today, Griffin is already on the roster...roster wise nothing changes & I think that can be a partial solution at the 4, but I still think we need someone that can guard a more traditional 4, for example Cook on IA we couldn't even slow down. I'm also still expect Giorgi to be able to fill that role...but my comment started with the roster looking much better next year, I think if are better next year it is more growth of current players. We bring in 2 very promising freshman guards, but lose Ayo/Dre...to me on paper next year I'm hoping for a wash there next year, 5 is Kofi both years, plug in Griffin/Giorgi at the 4 and nothing really changes appearance wise. I personally don't see Hawkins making the rotation next year...Hutcherson/Grandison ?, but I don't see either of them markedly better options at 1-3 than this year's roster.

I think getting better is more likely to come from growth, Giorgi as a 4, Verdonk growing as a 4, TJ getting right, TF having a monster SR year, thinking Curbelo/Miller over Ayo/Dre makes you much better is underrating Ayo/Dre and to some extent TF. Not saying it can't happen, but I would happily take breaking even next year at this point for the freshman guards.

If Ayo stays, we have a chance to be a really, really good team. Even without him, we'll be a strong, top 3 in the B1G kind of team.

I am excited to see how Fletch can change Hutcherson over the next year too. He's 6'6" but with a slender frame -- if he can add 20 lbs of muscle, I could see him getting spot minutes at the 4 too. That would make us really dynamic, with another shooter and playmaker on the floor.

I see people thinking Miller will be played some at the 1, but I just don't see it. But, between TF, AC, and our other playmaking wings, I don't think we'll need him to play the 1 anyways.

I believe you are referencing Grandison? Either way there will be a dropoff from Senior/NBA soph to 6'-170pd freshman, I just think Curbelo is so good and so smooth with international experience, it may be mimimum? Either way good discussions thanks.
Not that it matters, pretty sure it was Hutcherson that was billed as a point, not Grandison.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
If curbello lives up to his ranking he will be playing 30+, easy. The other talent on the roster won’t make a difference. This team desperately needs a distributor.

Keep in mind Dee played 35 mins or so as a freshman on a team that had 7 or 8 top 100 players.

Also, for reference, I’m pretty sure every player in the 04/05 team except Fred Nkemdi was a top 100 recruit.

IMO, Illini have a ways to go before theyre too stacked with talent to start worrying ablut minutes.
We actually had plenty of players on that team who were not Top 100 recruits, including a starter (Luther). Added to Luther were Calvin Brock, Jack Ingram, and Marcus Arnold who were all non-Top 100 recruits coming out of high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.