2020-2021 Team Makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand why people doubt them or anyone before they set foot on a court when they did well before and have high major offers.

We as fans will do this based on examples such as Tevian Jones to name the most recent, in another thread (Darius Paul). We were ALL hyped about getting a Cali kid (Tev) with uber talent and shooting ability. For whatever reason, this hasn't transpired so far for us, jaded yes, unrealistic concerning future pickups not really imo.

I think both Hutcherson and Grandison will do very well for us, that said, being a little skeptical in saying they need to play above their last stops is not rocket science. It is actually the most realistic thing to say at this point, regardless of offers etc. Both last stops were not P5 conferences and in fact, definately not B1G conference (the best this year with up to 10-12 teams dancing).

Last edited:
They both led their teams in scoring. Hutch had offers from ND, Marquette, Crieghton and others. I dont understand why people doubt them or anyone before they set foot on a court when they did well before and have high major offers. People said the same type of things about Jordan Clarkson and the ISU transfer not being good enough and all Clarkson did was play for the Lakers and others. The ISU PG led SMU to the dance. Smaller schools can have elite talent that slipped through the cracks. It happens often, every single year. Give these guys a chance before we assume they cant play. They may just surprise you. I expect them to play more than Tev ever will. They weren't brought in to sit a year and then sit again next season.
I expect Tev to be transfer in part because his potentual minutes will likely come at the 4 because AG or one of these guys will jump him and probably DW too.
Lol.

You ask why people doubt and then say "they may surprise you.". So you're not guaranteeing?

Nothing wrong with a wait and see attitude

I disagree. These guys sat an entire year that we could have used on someone else but BU wanted them that badly so he took them. That's different than Tev he could play right away and possibly contribute.. Granted they didnt play at a high major but it was at the collegiate level. Hutcherson led his conference in scoring. Also Tev has had the opportunity to play now for a year and a half. We have a good idea what is an expected from him . I was optimistic at first about Tev but my future expectations have a foundation of collegiate games now to base his productivity on.
The transfers played well in college already. Had high DI offers and will have a year in the system Piper said Hutcherson his a higher ceiling than DW and can shoot. Here is a clip I found and competiton on a team is a good thing. I expect them to play in 20 21. Watch the video on this link. Hutch has skill and led his conference and had solid high major offers for a reason.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...all-2020-recruiting-profile-austin-hutcherson
This backs up BU’s comments that he wants to get “older”. If he wasn’t able to get anyone that would be immediate help (a 4 that was ready to play) this makes sense. He helps his practices and prepares for the future. Odds much higher for a player with a two years of college and a year of exposure to his system than a HS player. Only negative I see is the size of the class with Alan, Ayo, Giorgi, and Tevian. But if Ayo goes pro and Tevian transfers, it isn’t an issue. If Grandison can be an effective replacement for Kipper it is a great balance. BBV looks to be a banger rather than the quick on the man defensive type so Grandison is a different matchup. Gives Hawkins some time to develop. Hutcherson can guard players that are too big for Trent and Curbelo and maybe a jr form of Ayo on offense. Different pieces for different roles. Seems smart to me.

This backs up BU’s comments that he wants to get “older”. If he wasn’t able to get anyone that would be immediate help (a 4 that was ready to play) this makes sense. He helps his practices and prepares for the future. Odds much higher for a player with a two years of college and a year of exposure to his system than a HS player. Only negative I see is the size of the class with Alan, Ayo, Giorgi, and Tevian. But if Ayo goes pro and Tevian transfers, it isn’t an issue. If Grandison can be an effective replacement for Kipper it is a great balance. BBV looks to be a banger rather than the quick on the man defensive type so Grandison is a different matchup. Gives Hawkins some time to develop. Hutcherson can guard players that are too big for Trent and Curbelo and maybe a jr form of Ayo on offense. Different pieces for different roles. Seems smart to me.

Really solid post, Ga. These guys have length, handles and can shoot. Frankly, their shooting ability is what we could really use now.

Curbelo is replacing Feliz, Miller replacing Ayo...they may be better in time but as freshman replacing a Senior & Sophomore it doesn't look that much different and talent at guard shouldn't be our weakness...you still have Griffin playing the 4, Giorgi/Kofi playing at Big. I'm not seeing Hawkins as coming in and playing a significant role. I'm not smart enough to know what is wrong with this team now, but replacing 2 veteran guards with a couple of freshman guards in the starting lineup doesn't seem like the magic to all of a sudden make us that much better.

I believe that Curbelo will be better next year than Feliz was this year, no disrespect meant because Feliz is a good player. Curbelo is faster, has better handles and a better jumper and is a fantastic passer. He isn't as strong, but he's got quick hands. Miller will likely shoot better than Ayo but not do the rest as well as Ayo.

Lol.

You ask why people doubt and then say "they may surprise you.". So you're not guaranteeing?

Nothing wrong with a wait and see attitude
That is kind of my point. Writing them off as not good enough to contribute like many people do to pretty much any transfer from a small school or Juco. Jalen Clarkson and Nic Moore woulve likely been among our top players had we gotten them and Dre has been good. Which is what happenned by many people and it happens every year. The NCAA Tournament shows how many great players there are throughout college hoops. There are great players and some good teams. Just because a transfer is from a small school doesnt mean he isnt good enough for the B10. Most players may not be but if BU, John Beilein (when at Mich) , or other power 5 coaches think that one or two are worth offering a sit a year scholly before they can play then I expect them to be able to perform even more so than outside of the top 50 high school player. It's likely easier to predict how they will do because many will have played against power 5 schools before in college.

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I believe that Curbelo will be better next year than Feliz was this year, no disrespect meant because Feliz is a good player. Curbelo is faster, has better handles and a better jumper and is a fantastic passer. He isn't as strong, but he's got quick hands. Miller will likely shoot better than Ayo but not do the rest as well as Ayo.

Don't know if that's true about Curbelo, but it's a distinct possibility. And that's with all due respect to Dre: he's been VVG and he's tougher than nails. But I'm so high on Curbelo, I need Narcan, stat.

I hadn't seen Hutch's video since he committed. Such a beautiful high arcing shot, hardly any rim on his 3's (yeah, highlight reel). I'm excited. Now I have to go find a Grandison tape....

Still looking for a vid but found this which I hadn't seen posted previously...
https://www.news-gazette.com/sports...cle_0b542d04-ed8a-5a71-9751-f84e075ece98.html
A five minute reel so a lot of highlights! I love his shot and his game. That's why I posted the video I dont think many had seen. It's pretty clear he is skilled if he can get stronger he should be a solid player.The fact you pointed out about the arc on his shot along with the high finish is what I really like. I agree with you and I'm fired up to see what he can do with s year of development with our staff.

Last edited:
Don't know if that's true about Curbelo, but it's a distinct possibility. And that's with all due respect to Dre: he's been VVG and he's tougher than nails. But I'm so high on Curbelo, I need Narcan, stat.
Dre has played very well and if a freshman Curbelo can play as well as a Sr Dre has that would be great. If he plays better then wow. I think Curbelo will make others better and be a pass first PG so they are different in that aspect. Dre and Ayo both are shoot first most of the time that's why I am excited about AC. I hope he can grow into a scorer and a distributor of the ball like DWill was.

I hope he can grow into a scorer and a distributor of the ball like DWill was.

I think our comparision as I have stated before is Brevin Knight @ Stanford. I think Curbelo is considerably like him as a player. He is already ahead of Dre imo, due to the fact that Dre over commits ALOT...now it also gets us some very very easy baskets at times, but also causes TO that don't need to be.

I think our comparision as I have stated before is Brevin Knight @ Stanford. I think Curbelo is considerably like him as a player. He is already ahead of Dre imo, due to the fact that Dre over commits ALOT...now it also gets us some very very easy baskets at times, but also causes TO that don't need to be.
I hope you are right. I think Dre playing on national teams and against better players he was more prepared as a junior . AC should be better in the long run but I think there we be a learning curve ffor most incoming freshman stepping into to B10 but I hope you are correct and he plays at an elite level from the first game as a young Illini.. I bet and hope he has adjusted to college for the most part by when the B10 season conference play starts.h

Last edited:
We as fans will do this based on examples such as Tevian Jones to name the most recent, in another thread (Darius Paul). We were ALL hyped about getting a Cali kid (Tev) with uber talent and shooting ability. For whatever reason, this hasn't transpired so far for us, jaded yes, unrealistic concerning future pickups not really imo.

I think both Hutcherson and Grandison will do very well for us, that said, being a little skeptical in saying they need to play above their last stops is not rocket science. It is actually the most realistic thing to say at this point, regardless of offers etc. Both last stops were not P5 conferences and in fact, definately not B1G conference (the best this year with up to 10-12 teams dancing).
Hutch and Grand are having a year to learn system and compete in practices with current talent ...naturally should raise their level. If they are smart, consistent shooters and play D they will be valuable. We dont need them to lead us in scoring next year...I see Trent, Kofi, AG, and Adam Miller competing for that honor.

I hope you are right. I think Dre playing on national teams and against better players he was more prepared as a junior . AC should be better in the long run but I think there we be a learning curve ffor most incoming freshman stepping into to B10 but I hope you are correct and he plays at an elite level from the first game as a young Illini.. I bet and hope he has adjusted to college for the most part by when the B10 season conference play starts.h
Not worried by either Curbelo or Miller’s offense, but really believe it is not realistic to expect them to replace Dre and Ayo’s defense as frosh. Like to be wrong.

I think one thing that’s not being talked about is how our defensive philosophy switch will help our incoming players. Our base principals are much easier to understand and execute than when we were going crazy in the half court. It helps with foul trouble too, which should help keep our good young players on the floor. Offense comes natural for these guys, defense is what will separate them.

I think Dre playing on national teams and against better players he was more prepared as a junior .

Curbelo has led his national team as well. I like our chances either way with this kid, right away or down the line. He will be special for us.

Next years team will hinge on Kofi. If he stays we will be competing while most have packed it in. Don’t think Dickage was right about him going pro but he was terrific in that game. If he dominates against Garza and Oturu, may have to rethink next year. Have thought he would have to shoot as well as M. Morgan to go in the first round. Shoot like L. Black and he is a lottery pick. We have replacements for Ayo and Dre but no superman11.

$1,000,000 question is will Antigua be back next year? Is he still not extended?

This is pretty much a given of having to happen...if we lose OA, then we go right back to where we were as far as talent getting to campus imo.

Okm
$1,000,000 question is will Antigua be back next year? Is he still not extended?
Curbelo has led his national team as well. I like our chances either way with this kid, right away or down the line. He will be special for us.
I thought that was an "under" a certain age team not vs grown men like the B10 or even pros. I think he will do fine I just would allow some time to adjust compared to a more mature experienced player like Dre.

I hadn't seen Hutch's video since he committed. Such a beautiful high arcing shot, hardly any rim on his 3's (yeah, highlight reel). I'm excited. Now I have to go find a Grandison tape....

Much harder to find tape on Grandison, but agreed, from what I've seen of Hutch there is a lot to be excited about. Seems to be a good ballhandler (better than Griff but that's not saying much) and great outside shooter. Purely statistically, the inside finishing is a weakness, but luckily we don't need that with this team. I think a lot of his impact will be determined by how much he changes his body to deal with B1G athleticism and physicality.

BU is doing a great job adjusting our roster for the modern game and adding more skill + shooting. Between Hutch, Griffin, Miller, and Trent, we should have plenty of knockdown shooters to open up more of our offense.

Praying OA will sign another contract. A huge salary bump, "Associate Head Coach" title, and whatever else it takes.

I saw him in County Market a couple weeks back and wanted to say something to the effect, but decided minding his privacy is more important. I wonder how CU is viewed by him and other coaches given that coaching involves so much travel anyways. CU is a step down from his last two stops in terms of city life, and while one might expect that to be a negative, I could also see it being a positive given all the travel/non-stop work in that profession.

Sincerely not trying to start something, but I remember talk of OA leaving after this year, at least hinting at it (i.e. people saying "there's a reason he hasn't signed an extension" after someone asked if he was staying.) Now, it could've been complete conjecture, or maybe this season has changed that, but I'm at least moderately concerned about him leaving.

I think he's giving this team an edge/angle/advantage that is distinctly different than 99% of assistants out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.