2020-2021 Team Makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rad

Nashville, TN
I once read a quote from an old coach (may have been Hubie Brown) that said, "shooting makes up for a multiple of deficiencies"

It won’t be long before Curbelo forces BU to start him, shifting DMW to the bench

That would leave us with 6-2 and 6-0 at guards against bigger opponents, this may not be optimal. Miller would be biggest of the three at 6-3?

Big Jack

Decatur
Hey question when or about when will the schedule for 20-21 be released?

Hey question when or about when will the schedule for 20-21 be released?
The full 20-21 schedule? August-ish if I'm not mistaken. But I think the B1G releases matchups around June. And UI trickles non-con opponents out throughout the Spring and Summer. So far, I think we have GCU, Arizona, and the emerald coast classic on deck, but I'm only 100% about the last one. Mizzou too.

We'll probably get an ACC and/or Gavitt (likely atleast the later since we didn't have one this season.). Other than that, I highly doubt we play a high major outside of the B1G. We're definitely gonna have our hands full this upcoming non-con.

15 years ago

Today, Ford bought Lincoln, Hearst was kidnapped, the first helicopter was shot down in Vietnam, and Disney releases the Snow White and 7 Dwarfs movie...

Point is some things are good/or bad at some point, but things change, and 2-3 sub 6'4" guards playing primarily together in todays day and age is not a great recipe for success. Curbelo and Frazier will play together, but I see Dre spelling TF the first year more than anything.

Remember we have 6'2"-6'3", 6'6" and 6'6" or so to handle ball/wing play to start off with right away.

If Tev sticks around and starts playing to his potential, what former player can we use as a good comparison that is similar in college careers?

The last player I can remember who took until their upperclassmen years to really start showing signs of life and then become an impact player who had high potential like this was Aaron Jordan...

May his Dad rest in peace 🙏

Last edited:
If Tev sticks around and starts playing to his potential, what former player can we use as a good comparison that is similar in college careers?

The last player I can remember who took until their upperclassmen years to really start showing signs of life and then become an impact player who had high potential like this was Aaron Jordan...

With the additions of the transfers and recruits. With what we have seen or have not especially when AG was out. I expect him to move down not up the depth chart. It is nice people are so positive and i hope that they are correct, I expect others to be in the rotation before him, He has a long way to go. It will be interesting to see how things work out and if there are any further additions or transfers before next season There usually are.

Last edited:

My apologies to Aaron Jordan and his family...this kid was ILLINI, his family was ILLINI, he perservered through troubled ILLINI times and never gave up or took the easy way out, never acted/reacted in a fashion that shamed/shed a poor light on our beloved ILLINI.

Tev has done nothing of this and certainly hasn't (nor do i think he will ever) been any inkling of the player that Aaron was for us ILLINI fans! Can he be a good ball player? He has the ability skill wise, not sure he grasps all that he needs to however.

I know you are simply stating you think Tev can do something for us in the future, but a comparision to AJ is grossly inaccurate in so many ways. Tev has a lot more to figure out imo than the game of basketball. I like the kid, he just needs to figure things out overall is what I see.

RIP Rob, 🙏 for the Jordan family as well.

I know you are simply stating you think Tev can do something for us in the future, but a comparision to AJ is grossly inaccurate in so many ways. Tev has a lot more to figure out imo than the game of basketball. I like the kid, he just needs to figure things out overall is what I see.

No, he was just asking for a point of comparison for a (potential) late blooming impact player, i.e. one that showed potential early but didn't capitalize until later in their career. He wasn't comparing him to AJ (either as a player OR AS A PERSON), just noting that he was the last player we had whose career would have fit that mold.

On roster construction, Robert's column today makes a good point that we are still not a good shooting team, which will probably be our undoing in the tournament. But, all the more credit to Underwood who seems to have made length and shooting a priority. In addition to the 2 (I hope! Please sign in the spring AM!) highly ranked incoming freshman guards, he's got the 2 transfers plus Hawkins, all of whom appear to be capable shooters. Will it work? TBD. Both Alstork and Mark Smith were brought in as shooters and were horrendous for us in Underwood's first year. But if this same team was even mediocre (say in the 150-180 range) shooting the 3, my goodness. If Kofi stays and we get some more shooting, we could really be something next year.

With Trent being a senior next year I’m sure he’s going to play most of the game. Curbelo will play 10-12 min unless he’s absolutely amazing and Underwood has no choice but to give him playing time. Adam Miller will be given the “Ayo” treatment. His body is big ten ready. I’m sure Brad wants him to develop quickly. As for Coleman Hawkins, I’m an advocate for him getting redshirted he has late bloomer written all over. I don’t see how 2 summers with Fletch can hurt his development. I’m still curious what The Bossman can do for us but he looks to be enjoying his time here. I really hope Tevian can carve out a role for himself before the transfers are eligible.
Curbelo will play 20+ minutes/game.

Feliz has saved our bacon in two consecutive games. His ability to get to the rim and finish, in crunch time, is going to be very, very difficult for a freshman.
Yeah, it's really apples to oranges. Felix is a strong, bulldog guy, whereas Curbelo is super quick with incredible handles. I love Feliz, he's been one of the top 5 JUCOs ever at Illinois. I just think Curbelo is that Auber-quick guard who is a great passer than can get into the gaps and cause havoc with defenses. Felix is more about scoring on his own.

I would like to compare Curbelo to Aaron!! Aaron Craft that is ;) I think he’s going to have that type of career here when it’s all said and done. But for his freshman year he’ll make a solid back-up for Trent’s last season in the orange and blue. Damonte has Brads respect and will have a similar role he has now. Adam Miller is the shooter/scorer we need, and will be inserted into a veteran group from the start. Where it may take Curbelo Some experience behind Trent to learn the system and figure out how to lead a team. Which is more his style as a true pg.

I know there is some buzz about Kofi leaving for the draft after this year but Curbelo could help with his decision to stay another year. A player with AC handles and passing ability could go a long way in Kofi having ridiculous stat lines next year. Proper low post distribution is a challenge for the current roster.

True, but Wood has shown he'll start Freshman right from game 1 of the season if he feels they've earned it.

Ayo started game 1 but our roster was much thinner at that point and Ayo was Underwood’s recruit while the rest of the team was not. Miller will be up against a full roster of Underwood’s guys and a much stronger team overall. He has a good chance of being a starter out of the gate but he will need to listen in practice and learn the system quickly to do so.

he was the last player we had whose career would have fit that mold.

except he isn't and it hasn't been shown imo that it will be either...Tev career to me so far is more like Myke Henry at Illinois than Jordan at all...I know it's just a comparision, just grossly off imo.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Yeah, it's really apples to oranges. Felix is a strong, bulldog guy, whereas Curbelo is super quick with incredible handles. I love Feliz, he's been one of the top 5 JUCOs ever at Illinois. I just think Curbelo is that Auber-quick guard who is a great passer than can get into the gaps and cause havoc with defenses. Felix is more about scoring on his own.

Who is Felix?

IF (and now that's a decently sized "if") we keep Kofi, lose Ayo, and add Miller all we'll need is shooters to make this a legit F4 caliber squad. If either of the transfers can push AG at the 3 spot next season (or GB if we went with a small lineup) then watch out. I was under the impression at least 1 of Grand or Hutch was a shooter but can't remember their profiles off the top of my head.

I hear Hutcherson has exhibited shades of Evan Turner crossed with Ray Allen whereas Grandison has added 45 lbs and looks like Cassius Winston in Semi Ojeleye's body.

What does he weigh now vs when he arrived? That just seems really hard to believe that he added 45lbs already 20 would be a lot.. He was 200 lbs when he arrived right according to the website. I hope they both excel. I personally expect Hutch to be the shooter we need having shot 44% from three as a freshman and is a great FT shooter. I love his shot and i hope he can be our Duncan Robinson DIII transfer story.

Status
Not open for further replies.