2020-2021 Team Makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine IF...and I mean IF, we could start next year with a Starting 5 of Frazier, Miller, Griffin, Jones, (reliable and contributing) and Kofi. A 2nd unit of Curbelo, Grandison, Williams, Hutcherson/Hawkins and Giorgi (on the block). We will be very well stocked and class size will be very evened out as well.
You forgot BBV and he’s going to be a player. He’s got all the tools just needs to catch up to the speed of the collegiate game.

Am I the only one that thinks that Ayo will be back and that Miller will also be in C/U??:thumb:

Am I the only one that thinks that Ayo will be back and that Miller will also be in C/U??:thumb:
After the scare Ayo just had and the disaster that was avoided......I would be utterly stunned if that occurred. What happened on Tuesday night is the exact definition of why you don't stick around if it's relatively certain that you'll be drafted.

He dodged a major bullet.

Looking at this from another point of view, but if he did want to come back, it's a great problem to have, but that world be an incredibly crowded backcourt, especially with BU's infatuation with DW and the minutes assigned to him.

I, personally, think that AD leaving is a predetermined decision.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

I occasionally think this, but it's fleeting. I think he would have to get so many trusted scouts and coaches to tell him he wouldn't be a first or second round this year, but definitely a possible lottery pick after a third year. Plus all of his family and handlers agreeing with that. Low probability.

IMHO, he finishes strong, has a great showing after the season for the scouts, and goes mid to late first round.

I occasionally think this, but it's fleeting. I think he would have to get so many trusted scouts and coaches to tell him he wouldn't be a first or second round this year, but definitely a possible lottery pick after a third year. Plus all of his family and handlers agreeing with that. Low probability.

IMHO, he finishes strong, has a great showing after the season for the scouts, and goes mid to late first round.
I think he would be better served to come back another year and hone his game. His ball handling and playmaking skills are not up to snuff yet for the NBA.

Would love to see him drafted in the first, but I just don't see it, unless he ends the year shooting 50% from three.

I think he would be better served to come back another year and hone his game. His ball handling and playmaking skills are not up to snuff yet for the NBA.

Did his ball handling/playmaking improve much, if at all, from Year 1 to Year 2? What makes you think Year 2 to Year 3 will be that much different? Unless you markedly improve, coming back just gives scouts more time to pick apart your game and question your upside.

IMO, the focus for him should not be on showing that he's a lead guard, because I'd say its pretty clear that isn't in it for him at the next level. He needs to show he can be a knockdown outside shooter and defensive menace. If he did both of those things at a high level, combined with his already elite ability to attack closeouts, he would be much more of a sure thing. It's highly unlikely he entices any NBA team with visions of a star lead guard, so he needs to focus on showing scouts that he has a high floor.

Imagine IF...and I mean IF, we could start next year with a Starting 5 of Frazier, Miller, Griffin, Jones, (reliable and contributing) and Kofi. A 2nd unit of Curbelo, Grandison, Williams, Hutcherson/Hawkins and Giorgi (on the block). We will be very well stocked and class size will be very evened out as well.
Why are you so high on Jones?

Why are you so high on Jones?

I am not actually, that is why I stated reliable and contributing? It has been no secret that I think Jones may not be part of the solution, not saying he is part of any problem...fit? That stated, if he can do both things I mentioned, who knows, then he will jump into the lineup due to size/etc...

It's hilarious that people thought that Adam Miller might not come to Illinois because he just verbally committed. Not sure people know this, but Ådam is DJ Richardson's 1st cousin. Also, he grew up an Illini fan.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
That's classless and unfair when publicly commenting on a minor for a suspension that has never been verified.

He's over 18. No longer a minor.

His first suspension was for weed and was confirmed, I thought. Or at least it's a pretty open secret. Either way, it's a harmless joke. No one thinks less of him. We just want him to get it together and live up to his potential.

It's hilarious that people thought that Adam Miller might not come to Illinois because he just verbally committed. Not sure people know this, but Ådam is DJ Richardson's 1st cousin. Also, he grew up an Illini fan.

I guess we have the funniest fan base in college hoops because a lot of people still think that he won't end up in Champaign.

I'm not convinced Ayo is gone at this point. He really needs to flash in the tourney to build up some hype which I think is possible. But right now, a lot of mock drafts don't even have him listed. One more year of improving his shooting, handles, passing and offensive IQ could propel him to a lottery pick instead of wondering if you're even going to get a guaranteed contract. Then again, he could regress and totally be out of the picture. Best to just get healthy and work his rear off through the end of the year and then evaluate where he sits.

He's over 18. No longer a minor.

His first suspension was for weed and was confirmed, I thought. Or at least it's a pretty open secret. Either way, it's a harmless joke. No one thinks less of him. We just want him to get it together and live up to his potential.

Gosh forbid if I put up what the 2nd suspension was for. Those darn public message boards anyhow.:thumb:

I'm not convinced Ayo is gone at this point. He really needs to flash in the tourney to build up some hype which I think is possible.
Thankfully he is not sitting on an empty hype-o-meter. While he could possibly use more, he had a good stretch as the game closer in the team's winning streak:
@ Wisconsin (facilitated Alan and Trent 3's and then the crossover & 3 of his own)
vs. Northwestern (iso play pull up for long 2)
@ Michigan (iso vs. Simpson for game winner).
Not to mention @ Purdue (18 pts 11 ast)
He may have already built enough hype and just needs to finish the season solid and healthy.

We have history with players reneging on verbals. We have a history of guys who have ties to the university spurning us. Whether or not these are concerns with Miller are really only known to him, but people have a valid reason to have doubts.

Also, this isn't binary. If you can't admit there isnt a 100% chance Miller is going to be an Illini, you're lying to yourself, likewise for the opposite. I personally think it's highly likely he signs regardless the Ayo situation, though that would mean we are oversigned. A conversation for another time.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
That's classless and unfair when publicly commenting on a minor for a suspension that has never been verified.

giphy.gif

Did I????....Does He????

He definitely has the tools. Whether he's a player, we'll just have to wait and see.

Sure liked the look of his three point shot in the limited preseason action he got, and the fact he's just about as big as Hamlin by the looks of recent pictures. If he can be a solid stretch 4/5 for us...watch out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.