2020-2021 Team Makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see mins varying depending on the matchups. Just don’t know what to expect from BBV, Hawkins, Grandison, and Hutcherson. Will be surprised to see Jones next year and curious to see what his replacement is. Do think it will be tougher for frosh initially with experienced roster. Also wonder if AG will see mins at the two. Sure he will be a Gentry project and see him as an Ayo type in terms of size if he can develop the skills to take it to the basket. Losing Dre and Ayo really changes that part of our offense.

I think you did a great job of dividing the time. Not an easy task to do.

I could see Frazier averaging a few minutes less if he can't get his shooting right, maybe Williams and Giorgi too.

I just don't know if I see many minutes for Hawkins/Verdonk/Jones. Rest look solid, but maybe see a slight tick increase for Grandison at the Forward too if he lives up to his billing.

Just looking ahead. Wow we are loaded in depth next year. Assuming ayo goes and miller stays we are looking at something like this? Minutes are in ().
G- Frazier (30), Curbelo (10)
G- Miller (28), Curbelo (12)
G- Williams (18), Griffin (10), Grandinson/Hutcherson (12)
F- Griffin (14), Giorgi (10), Hawkins/Verdonk/Jones (16)
C- Cockburn (27), Gorgi (12), Hamlin (4)

I mean wow that is just such a more deep roster than we have had in awhile. If next season you can roll curbelo, giorgi, hutcherson and grandinson off the bench my goodness that a lot of length and shooting as well. Also not to mention we would have 6 guys who would project as plus shooters- miller, trent, griffin, hawkings, grandinson and hutcherson.
I think very similar to you other than Hamlin, Tev and Hutch.

Hutch didnt turn down offers from Creighton, ND, and Marquette to not play more than spot minutes. BU has already said just this week that Hutch is am elite shooter and iis the best athlete on our team.

Trent, GB, Kofi, AG, AM should all get about 25 minutes a game minimum baring foul trouble
AC, Hutch and DW anywhere from 15-20 which is were DW is now in B10 play most nights but this could go down since he has been playing the 4 and our additions. Remember AC is a freshman so 20 minutes is not bad and should go up as the season goes on.
Grandison and BBV about 5-10 or so with spot minutes for Jones, Hamlin, or Hawkins much like Jones and Hamlin get now as needed if someone gets in foul trouble.

The addition of the shooting ,additional size plus length of Grandison's and BBV to go with AG emergence could dip slightly into DW minutes too. DWs minutes have already started to go down lately with the improved play of AG. DW is gettting as many minutes as an undersized 4 now than at the 3 it seems.

I also expect Tev to be in the mix even less if at all with the addition or Grandison, a health BBV.

I dont see Hamlin's with role changing much. He likely wont play unless there is foul trouble or an injury.

If we have a transfer i would not be shocked if we looked for a more skillled big body transfer. I want to be inclusive too but Hamlin, and Tev on a deeper team will play less not more, that is even more the case if GB is playing more time at the 5 with the additions of options of Grandison, and a true sized healthy BBV at the 4 spot.
I am not hoping that anyone leaves but if they can transfer once and not sit out a year as it appears the case will be after April then someone is even more likely to leave and who knows what else could happen and is likely too happen with this new rule.

Last edited:

Hutch didnt turn down offers from Creighton, ND, and Marquette to not play more than spot minutes. BU has already said just this week that Hutch is am elite shooter and iis the best athlete on our team.

Trent, GB, Kofi, AG, AM should all get about 25 minutes a game minimum baring foul trouble
AC, Hutch and DW anywhere from 15-20 which is were DW is now in B10 play most nights but this could go down since he has been playing the 4 and our additions. Remember AC is a freshman so 20 minutes is not bad and should go up as the season goes on.
Grandison and BBV about 5-10 or so with spot minutes for Jones, Hamlin, or Hawkins much like Jones and Hamlin get now as needed if someone gets in foul trouble.

The addition of the shooting ,additional size plus length of Grandison's and BBV to go with AG emergence could dip slightly into DW minutes too. DWs minutes have already started to go down lately with the improved play of AG. DW is gettting as many minutes as an undersized 4 now than at the 3 it seems.

I also expect Tev to be in the mix even less if at all with the addition or Grandison, a health BBV.

I dont see Hamlin's with role changing much. He likely wont play unless there is foul trouble or an injury.

If we have a transfer i would not be shocked if we looked for a more skillled big body transfer. I want to be inclusive too but Hamlin, and Tev on a deeper team will play less not more, that is even more the case if GB is playing more time at the 5 with the additions of options of Grandison, and a true sized healthy BBV at the 4 spot.
I am not hoping that anyone leaves but if they can transfer once and not sit out a year as it appears the case will be after April then someone is even more likely to leave and who knows what else could happen and is likely too happen with this new rule.
Really hard to picture anyone leaving after a Final Four appearance 😀👊🏻

I agree that i think Jones transfers, but i just put him in for the sake of not wishing that. I really think we are underestimating grandinson he averaged 14-5-3 on 37% shooting from three on the college level already. I think BBV and hawkings will battle it out for about 7 minutes a game. I agree with you about Hutch i think he gets about 15 a game. I think the breakdown is probably looking a little bit more like this then.

PG- Frazier (28), Curbelo (12)
SG- Miller (26), Curbelo (8), Hutcherson (6)
SF- Williams (16), Griffin (14), Hutcherson (10)
PF- Griffin (10) Giorgi (10), Grandinson (14), Hawkings/BBV (7)
C- Kofi (28), Giorgi (12), Hamlin (3)

Last edited:
I agree that i think Jones transfers, but i just put him in for the sake of not wishing that. I really think we are underestimating grandinson he averaged 14-5-3 on 37% shooting from three on the college level already. I think BBV and hawkings will battle it out for about 7 minutes a game. I agree with you about Hutch i think he gets about 15 a game. I think the breakdown is probably looking a little bit more like this then.

That is more in line with how i feel too. I do not see AC as a 2 really at all since he is a play maker more than a scorer/shooter. I am not sure if he is being brought in to play ever really the 2. With the growth and need for shooters at the 2 and 3 spot AGs will get the most time at the three next year followed by DW and others. DW will hopefully not be needed so much at the 4 spot where he has been playing out of position more and more lately out of need. Plus most games i dont see Hamilin in the rotation at all baring foul trouble. Being stronger at the 4 and the need for shooting at the 3 i believe DW minutes will decline slightly next season even if he start so 16 seems about right. If we are better at the 4 spot too dont know how much GB and Kofi will be on the floor together but i hope than can learn to play inside together if we have shooters at the 1,2, & 3.

One thing i was excited to hear was for some reason BU was asked about Hutch and he said that he is the best athlete on the team and an elite shooter. That has to be a good thing!

Last edited:
That is more in line with how i feel too. I do not see AC as a 2 really at all since he is a play maker more than a scorer/shooter. I am not sure if he is being brought in to play ever really the 2. With the growth and need for shooters at the 2 and 3 spot AGs will get the most time at the three next year followed by DW and others. DW will hopefully not be needed so much at the 4 spot where he has been playing out of position more and more lately out of need. Plus most games i dont see Hamilin in the rotation at all baring foul trouble. Being stronger at the 4 and the need for shooting at the 3 i believe DW minutes will decline slightly next season even if he start so 16 seems about right. If we are better at the 4 spot too dont know how much GB and Kofi will be on the floor together but i hope than can learn to play inside together if we have shooters at the 1,2, & 3.

One thing i was excited to hear was for some reason BU was asked about Hutch and he said that he is the best athlete on the team and an elite shooter. That has to be a good thing!
I just don't see giorgi getting less than 24 minutes a game. Kofi gets around 28 a game barring fouls. So i think to get giorgi minutes they are going to have play some together. And i put AC at the SG position just on paper he will be the lead guard but when miller is out i see it being frazier at the 2 and curbelo at the 1. Curbelo will be to lead gaurd when the bench unit comes in and he will have shooters to go to such as grandinson and hutcherson. I think hawkings could surprise and earn maybe closer to 10 and then you use him when giorgi is at center to give more size and stretch the floor. A good first sub could be curbelo, frazier, griffin, grandinson, giorgi. Then you rotate hutch in for frazier or griffin. Just a lot more possibilities when u have add 2 wings, 2 solid guard and a stretch forward.

It seems to me that we now have enough high quality skilled players that our practices can be incredibly intense next season.

Seems like you will always need either Trent or AC in the game at the lead but maybe not aware of AM’s or Hutch’s PG abilities. Also believe it is going to be difficult to keep Alan off the floor. Someone needs to replace Ayo’s scoring, rebounding, etc. while still playing great defense and Alan comes the closest. We will be losing 30 pts a game with Ayo, Dre, and Kipper and not easy to replace with defensive equivalents.

I could see a rotation similiar to this as far as line change type of subbing:

Trent, Adam, DaMonte, Grandison/Griffin, Kofi

Andre, Griffin/Grandison, Hutchison, BBV, Giorgi (back in 5 slot)

I could see a rotation similiar to this as far as line change type of subbing:

Trent, Adam, DaMonte, Grandison/Griffin, Kofi

Andre, Griffin/Grandison, Hutchison, BBV, Giorgi (back in 5 slot)
We need more scoring from the 3 and 4 spot. With Kofi at center it does seem possible to play smaller at the 4 than with Giorgi at center. Trent/ AC at the point with a combination of Alan, Hutch, Adam, Grandison, DaMonte along with Kofi at center could be effective. That said some opposing coaches noted how difficult it was to prepare for us with our size. Also Giorgi is great at screening the shot blockers from our guards when they are going to the basket. If they gave assists for that he might lead the team. Coach has some pieces to play with and suspect we will see as much change from this to next year as we saw from last year. More variations make it much tougher to prepare for us.

Interesting take. I agree with most, but would love to hear folks take on the following:

1) Freshman most likely to start? My take is that Curbelo has the greatest chance of starting. His skill with the basketball both in terms facilitation and ability to create makes me think that he's the more likely to start. With emphasis on facilitation/creation, will elevate the play of everyone around him. This means Kofi gets the ball where he can make plays and do work, Trent can do what he does best which is shoot the ball, and we can capitalize on AG's and Hutch's athleticism. He'll need to get his turnovers down without stiffing his creativity.

2) DW staying in the starting line-up? I think with the minutes and the depth, he moves to more of a bench role. I think his presence on defense was great for this year, but with Hutch and Grand and Miller and Evolution of Alan G, the need for his defense alone might decrease. I think his time spent on the court might not change as much, but I think a move would be to have him as part of the second line to ensure defense remains at a high level during substitution.

3) Does Giorgi make it out of the slump or has he regressed to the mean? GB should really be playing the 4 in this league/level. Against Garza or other centers like him, he was manhandled badly. But he looks so out of place at the 4 spot still and continues to make silly mistakes. You can always bet that one of his 4 fouls a game will be for a moving pick and another for a silly ticky tack foul. That said though, I believe that he moves into the starting line-up IF Curbelo is there. GB isn't getting the ball where he has most effective, down low with space. He is at the top of the key or within 10 ft of the basket, which is not where he shines. Trent Meacham said it best during his analysis at the early part of the season when he said that our passing was a weakness. It still is a weakness and our guards don't know how to get GB the ball in the right spots. But if Curbelo is on the floor, you can bet that some passes will be made that capitalize on GB's strengths which are motor, hustle, craftiness and down low.

4) Does BBV make it into the rotation? I think so. I can't speak for what position Grandinson plays per your analysis, but I think BBV (pending leg injury) is really best built to be one of the last off the bench next year. On paper, he has all the right tools. The height, weight, body type, experience....but he only really flashed that one pre-season game and really faded away last year. Was it the leg injury or just his normal play, I don't know, but I think he could really take over that last spot and play a part of the team next year. I'm rooting for him to be more than Hamlin is, but less than what Kipper is today.

. Trent Meacham said it best during his analysis at the early part of the season when he said that our passing was a weakness.

Need film time with 2004-5 team.

Interesting take. I agree with most, but would love to hear folks take on the following:

1) Freshman most likely to start? My take is that Curbelo has the greatest chance of starting. His skill with the basketball both in terms facilitation and ability to create makes me think that he's the more likely to start. With emphasis on facilitation/creation, will elevate the play of everyone around him. This means Kofi gets the ball where he can make plays and do work, Trent can do what he does best which is shoot the ball, and we can capitalize on AG's and Hutch's athleticism. He'll need to get his turnovers down without stiffing his creativity.

2) DW staying in the starting line-up? I think with the minutes and the depth, he moves to more of a bench role. I think his presence on defense was great for this year, but with Hutch and Grand and Miller and Evolution of Alan G, the need for his defense alone might decrease. I think his time spent on the court might not change as much, but I think a move would be to have him as part of the second line to ensure defense remains at a high level during substitution.

3) Does Giorgi make it out of the slump or has he regressed to the mean? GB should really be playing the 4 in this league/level. Against Garza or other centers like him, he was manhandled badly. But he looks so out of place at the 4 spot still and continues to make silly mistakes. You can always bet that one of his 4 fouls a game will be for a moving pick and another for a silly ticky tack foul. That said though, I believe that he moves into the starting line-up IF Curbelo is there. GB isn't getting the ball where he has most effective, down low with space. He is at the top of the key or within 10 ft of the basket, which is not where he shines. Trent Meacham said it best during his analysis at the early part of the season when he said that our passing was a weakness. It still is a weakness and our guards don't know how to get GB the ball in the right spots. But if Curbelo is on the floor, you can bet that some passes will be made that capitalize on GB's strengths which are motor, hustle, craftiness and down low.

4) Does BBV make it into the rotation? I think so. I can't speak for what position Grandinson plays per your analysis, but I think BBV (pending leg injury) is really best built to be one of the last off the bench next year. On paper, he has all the right tools. The height, weight, body type, experience....but he only really flashed that one pre-season game and really faded away last year. Was it the leg injury or just his normal play, I don't know, but I think he could really take over that last spot and play a part of the team next year. I'm rooting for him to be more than Hamlin is, but less than what Kipper is today.
1. I just dont see adam miller coming here to come off the bench. Also i think using curbelo sorta like feliz would be great for a freshman year.
2. I think damonte will start because brad loves him, i think his minutes will decrease from about 20 to closer to 16. But brad trust me and i think we have enough scoring with miller, frazier and griffin that we can stomach starting him.
3. I think giorgi will play his 24 minutes a game. I think he'll have to split it at the 4 and 5 in order to get him those minutes. I think when giorgi is at the 4 you cant have DW on the floor. Whenever giorgi and kofi are on the floor at the same time griffin, miller/hutcherson/grandinson and frazier/curbelo need to be out there. I like Kofi playing with a four who can stretch like Grandinson or Hawkings.
4. BBV versus Hawkings/Jones will be the battle of the off-season. You know the gaurds will all get there minutes and the post are basically set. Do BBV/Hawkings/Jones play well enough to push for more than spot minutes? I just think Hawkings and BBV are about a year away. When frazier and damote graduate and kofi leaves after next year that will open up a ton of minutes for BBV and Hawkings at the 4.

1. I just dont see adam miller coming here to come off the bench. Also i think using curbelo sorta like feliz would be great for a freshman year.
2. I think damonte will start because brad loves him, i think his minutes will decrease from about 20 to closer to 16. But brad trust me and i think we have enough scoring with miller, frazier and griffin that we can stomach starting him.
I agree and think that both of these statements are true. Who starts is not really as important as who plays the most. But even though Brad loves DW it wouldnt shock me if DW went to the bench too and almost certainly will have a continued reduction of minutes with our need for scoring and an improved size and skill at the 4. DW is much of his time at the 4 right now and next year i hope we are not playing him there, Most of DWs time next year will be at the 3 spot and AG, Grandison and also Hutch will challenge him for playing time at the spot. AG is just doing to good not to get the bulk of time there. I dont expect DW in the 4 next season. That time will go to GB, Grandison, BBV and maybe a little to Hawkins as he adjusts. We should finally have other options. So much so that i wouldnt be shocked if GB plays more at the 5 backing up Kofi than he does at the 4 spot getting something like 15 at the 5 and 10 or so at the 4.

Either way this team is evolving and getting better and deeper each season. Although we may not have a player like Ayo on our team next season the sum of the parts should see us continue to improve and get better. We add a pass first distributing PF, a lot more shooters and also more options at the 4. Not to mention an elite FT shooter in Hutch who shot just under 89% at the line last year. That will help my nerves to close out some games. All together that should lead to an exciting 20-21 season. .

Last edited:

jmilt7

Waukegan
Is BBV eligible to redshirt this year?
First, I assume this would be a medical redshirt since I believe it has been stated a few times here at IL that basketball does not have a rule like football that a player can play a certain number of games or certain number of minutes or a certain percentage of games, or whatever. He is not eligible for a regular red shirt. And I am not even sure he is eligible for a medical red shirt. But I could have gotten some of this mixed up. Second, does anyone know exactly what his injury is and whether he is definitely out the rest of the season or is there still a chance he plays (if needed)? And third, if declared a red shirt, when would that declaration be made, end of season?

Oh, and I wanted to say that I don't think Adam Miller is coming here expecting not to start. But Sneaky john beat me to it. I think it will be a similar situation as was the case with Smith and Ayo; they were both rated highly and BU started them both right away.

I believe BBV has a foot injury and has played in a sufficiently small number of games to qualify for a medical redshirt. There is no need to announce a medical redshirt in mid-season, so I suppose there is a theoretical possibility he could play while injured. However, this does not strike as being a good time of year to experiment with a new player in the lineup.

I agree and think that both of these statements are true. Who starts is not really as important as who plays the most. But even though Brad loves DW it wouldnt shock me if DW went to the bench too and almost certainly will have a continued reduction of minutes with our need for scoring and an improved size and skill at the 4. DW is much of his time at the 4 right now and next year i hope we are not playing him there, Most of DWs time next year will be at the 3 spot and AG, Grandison and also Hutch will challenge him for playing time at the spot. AG is just doing to good not to get the bulk of time there. I dont expect DW in the 4 next season. That time will go to GB, Grandison, BBV and maybe a little to Hawkins as he adjusts. We should finally have other options. So much so that i wouldnt be shocked if GB plays more at the 5 backing up Kofi than he does at the 4 spot getting something like 15 at the 5 and 10 or so at the 4.

Either way this team is evolving and getting better and deeper each season. Although we may not have a player like Ayo on our team next season the sum of the parts should see us continue to improve and get better. We add a pass first distributing PF, a lot more shooters and also more options at the 4. Not to mention an elite FT shooter in Hutch who shot just under 89% at the line last year. That will help my nerves to close out some games. All together that should lead to an exciting 20-21 season. .
So then maybe something close to this then?
PG- Frazier (20), Curbelo (20)
SG- Miller (26), Frazier (10), Hutcherson (5)
SF- Williams (14), Griffin (12), Hutcherson (10), Grandinson (4)
PF- Griffin (14), Giorgi (12), Grandinson (10), BBV/Hawkings/Jones (7)

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
I have a slightly different take.......

PG - Curbelo / Frazier
SG - Frazier / Miller
SG - D. Williams / Miller (Miller will play more minutes than DW and will ultimately start)
F - Griffin (Backed up by whomever emerges among Hutcherson, Grandison, BBV. I predict one of the first two.)
C - Kofi (Georgi will back-up KC)

GB also gets minutes at the 4 but I'm hoping that we have some phenomenal 4's who can really stretch the floor with their 3-pt shooting.

Hawkins (as a very skilled Freshman redshirt), Hamlin and Jones will not get Big 10 minutes. I predict Tev will transfer this spring due to lack of playing time (hope I'm wrong).

PG - Curbelo / Frazier
SG - Frazier / Miller
SG - D. Williams / Miller (Miller will play more minutes than DW and will ultimately start)
F - Griffin (Backed up by whomever emerges among Hutcherson, Grandison, BBV. I predict one of the first two.)

GB also gets minutes at the 4 but I'm hoping that we have some phenomenal 4's who can really stretch the floor with their 3-pt shooting.

Hawkins (as a very skilled Freshman redshirt), Hamlin and Jones will not get Big 10 minutes. I predict Tev will transfer this spring due to lack of playing time (hope I'm wrong).
Don’t see Giorgi not at the 4. Can see matchups where Griffin may play the four but believe majority of time at 3 as new Alpha dog. If Miller matches him, we will be terrific.

PG - Curbelo / Frazier
SG - Frazier / Miller

Griffin will get more minutes than DW at the 3 whether he starts or not. Neither DW, AG, or especailly skinny Hutch are not 4s especailly on defense. Hutch is a 1, 2, or 3 at 6'6".
. That's the good thing about next year we will actually have a few legit 4s. GB, BBV, and a bit of Grandison .

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Regardless of the minutes breakdowns, I love the way our team is shaping up. Underwood will have myriad options, most of them very good. Practice should be insane!

Griffin will get more minutes than DW at the 3 whether he starts or not. Neither DW, AG, or especailly skinny Hutch are not 4s especailly on defense. Hutch is a 1, 2, or 3 at 6'6".
. That's the good thing about next year we will actually have a few legit 4s. GB, BBV, and a bit of Grandison .

Grandison is also 6'6". We'll see what he's put on by the start of next season, but he's not exactly big either -- he and Hutch have/had similar body types, just with JG having a bit more muscle on his frame. I could see that difference shrinking by the start of next year.

Either way, I love the flexibility we'll have. Can go small and add lots of playmaking and shooting to the floor, or size up and not lose in talent, just different skills.

Grandison is also 6'6". We'll see what he's put on by the start of next season, but he's not exactly big either -- he and Hutch have/had similar body types, just with JG having a bit more muscle on his frame. I could see that difference shrinking by the start of next year.

Either way, I love the flexibility we'll have. Can go small and add lots of playmaking and shooting to the floor, or size up and not lose in talent, just different skills.
JG is about 30 plus pounds heavier it seems i read somewhere and is lised as 30 lbs heavier on the team website and is also listed as a G/F and Hutch is only listed as a guard but who knows. I dont expect Hutch to learn the plays for all 4 spots but maybe he will, I feel Hutch will play more or a 1 or 2 and JG the 3 and 4. I think the 3 spot is in good hands with AG, DW and JG

JG is about 30 plus pounds heavier it seems i read somewhere and is lised as 30 lbs heavier on the team website and is also listed as a G/F and Hutch is only listed as a guard but who knows. I dont expect Hutch to learn the plays for all 4 spots but maybe he will, I feel Hutch will play more or a 1 or 2 and JG the 3 and 4. I think the 3 spot is in good hands with AG, DW and JG
Believe it was 440 that said Grandison was ahead of Hutch. Hope he can take Kippers place plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.