2020-2021 Team Makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest thing that i like is when guys have roles and they know how to play them. The last couple years we had guys playing out of positions constantly because of lack of depth. Now we can say this is your role and we need you to do it.
Frazier- be the alpha
Miller- scorer
Williams- defender
Griffin- scorer and re-bounder
Kofi- Rebound and block shots
Giorgi- Rebound
Curbelo- creator
Hutcherson- three and D
Grandinson- three and D
Hamlin- Rebound
BBV- Rebound and three
Hawkings- Shoot and space floor
Jones- Defend and Rebound

Would really like to see DaMonte take it to the hoop. He has shown a couple of terrific moves this year but does it rarely. With Dre and Ayo gone next year it is a missing piece in our arsenal and it would be a way for him to become an offensive threat. Maybe not included in his role this year but would be a good addition next year. Also if you prorate Alan’s minutes to Ayo’s his stats are about the same in both scoring and rebounding. We are all excited by next year’s roster but we will lose 3 of our 8 man rotation and will need to see improvement from the remaining players to cover the loss.

Grandison is also 6'6". We'll see what he's put on by the start of next season, but he's not exactly big either -- he and Hutch have/had similar body types, just with JG having a bit more muscle on his frame. I could see that difference shrinking by the start of next year.

Either way, I love the flexibility we'll have. Can go small and add lots of playmaking and shooting to the floor, or size up and not lose in talent, just different skills.
Both sound like they have Alan Griffin like frame....although Hutch is "most athletic on the team"

Both sound like they have Alan Griffin like frame....although Hutch is "most athletic on the team"
Not really. Hutch is only listed as a guard and should play the 2,1 and some 3 if needed but we are pretty deep at the 3 but will not play the 4 and is 6'6'' and very slim being listed at 175 but he has quickness and handles and hopefully can create his own shot with his length athletic ability as you mentioned. Out front this shouldnt be as big a deal. His build is more like Jamal Crawford who is 185 now but in college id say they were really close. in stature and size. At 6'6'' that should help him do shoot over guards. He is slim and getting stronger but BU and the team are joking with him about having some" muscle definition now so he is getting stronger.
Grandison is listed as a G/F, should play more at the 3 or 4 spot is 6'6'' but over 200 lbs now so he is taller than DW and taller and bigger than AG. He is more of a stretch 4 that is for sure but with Kofi and GB at the 5 and feeding the post that should be a good thing!

Last edited:
Not really. Hutch is only listed as a guard and should play the 2,1 and some 3 if needed but we are pretty deep at the 3 but will not play the 4 and is 6'6'' and very slim being listed at 175 but he has quickness and handles and hopefully can create his own shot with his length athletic ability as you mentioned. Out front this shouldnt be as big a deal. His build is more like Jamal Crawford who is 185 now but in college id say they were really close. in stature and size. At 6'6'' that should help him do shoot over guards. He is slim and getting stronger but BU and the team are joking with him about having some" muscle definition now so he is getting stronger.
Grandison is listed as a G/F, should play more at the 3 or 4 spot is 6'6'' but over 200 lbs now so he is taller than DW and taller and bigger than AG. He is more of a stretch 4 that is for sure but with Kofi and GB at the 5 and feeding the post that should be a good thing!

FWIW I mostly agree with this stuff but would say it's a bit early to be making definitive rulings about what positions people are/aren't going to play, particularly 3/4. Those listed heights/weights aren't updated all too often, so the reality *could* be way different by the time next year starts. Just take a look at the picture below. JG and AH have very similar builds: similar height, similar shoulder width, similar skinny legs...generally tall and lanky with JG maybe having a slight head start on mass. I hope we can get away with playing them at the 4 for parts of games, but both look like they'd (currently) get tossed out of the way with one arm when playing 4s that are built like BBV.
EC2QrAhX4AAELyw.jpg

FWIW I mostly agree with this stuff but would say it's a bit early to be making definitive rulings about what positions people are/aren't going to play, particularly 3/4. Those listed heights/weights aren't updated all too often, so the reality *could* be way different by the time next year starts. Just take a look at the picture below. JG and AH have very similar builds: similar height, similar shoulder width, similar skinny legs...generally tall and lanky with JG maybe having a slight head start on mass. I hope we can get away with playing them at the 4 for parts of games, but both look like they'd (currently) get tossed out of the way with one arm when playing 4s that are built like BBV.
.View attachment 5732
Your correct they dont appear to be 30lbs apart but JG does appear to have a broader chest and upper body and probably is but imay not be it is to tell from a picture. Either way this is the first time that i have heard Hutch ever being mentioned anywhere as a 4. I have never heard BU mention Hutch to play even the forward position at all we have a lot of 3s. I have only heard BU mention him as a 1 or a 2. JG is listed as a G/F and Hutch as only a G. Maybe the positions they are listed in are wrong too. It will be fun to see this unfold for sure.

Look forward to having shooters like Alan, Adam, Trent, Austin, Jacob, BBV, Coleman on the floor at the same time. Does seem however that our shooting has regressed. Kipper good % in past, Trent regressing, etc. still wonder if the effort required on defense affects the shooting. Understand good games and bad but overall % going from .345 to .309 is significant. Don’t really believe moving the line back made that kind of difference. Does make Aaron’s .415 impressive.

haasi

New York
There’s so much offseason development that needs to happen, but man AG’s pretty good right now and his potential is through the roof.

Can I just say we got a really good player in Alan Griffin the next 2 seasons. Man, is he going to be good.
Really think he is next year’s Ayo. Can score in so many ways and expect additional improvement next year. However might give us only one more year if he does.

There’s so much offseason development that needs to happen, but man AG’s pretty good right now and his potential is through the roof.
I really like what we have beeen seeing out of AG. Especially last nigt, he was not just settling for a 3. He was attacking the bucket. I wonder if he will ever start. He certainly is getting top 5 minutes though.
One of the main reasons i thought GB was bench was to get more shooters on the floor. I wish GB could hit a 3 but he has struggled to even hit in close. We really miss having a a guy like BBV who can do both or Tev he just clearing is struggling to earn the coaches trust. Which I understand but we really need some size and versatility at the 4 spot , I think we will have some options next season but this season it is an issue

Last edited:
Look forward to having shooters like Alan, Adam, Trent, Austin, Jacob, BBV, Coleman on the floor at the same time. Does seem however that our shooting has regressed. Kipper good % in past, Trent regressing, etc. still wonder if the effort required on defense affects the shooting. Understand good games and bad but overall % going from .345 to .309 is significant. Don’t really believe moving the line back made that kind of difference. Does make Aaron’s .415 impressive.
Didn't we decide that our shooting woes were a result of all the weight training with Fletch.

Can I just say we got a really good player in Alan Griffin the next 2 seasons. Man, is he going to be good.

+1

I love when a player plays within himself but makes the most of his role. AG plays hard, smart, and efficiently. Speaking of efficient, I believe he has the highest PER on the team, just a hair above Kofi. When you consider he's our only plus shooter from the arc, he's even more important. (Trent's just above average as well, but only barely).

I still contend he is currently the best NBA prospect on the team given what the modern NBA looks for in a wing. Dare I say it, but would he be one of the sleepers described in the article below? 6'5. 40% 3PT shooter on 4 attempts per game. Steal and block numbers are low but looks to be figuring those out, and almost 5 rebounds a game. Seems like the ideal 3 and D role player. I hope he comes back but I wouldn't be shocked if he at least tested the waters for feedback this summer.

https://www.theringer.com/2020/2/27/21155194/nba-draft-2020-wings-josh-green-cassius-stanley

I wouldn't be shocked

I would, AG is a terrific player for us and will assume some of DMW role once he is gone, along with transfers we now have imo, but he is not NBA ready (not even Hey what do I need to work on?) but I could see him being a long term role player somewhere. Jazz, Pacers, Rockets, Knicks come to mind.

I still contend he is currently the best NBA prospect on the team given what the modern NBA looks for in a wing. Dare I say it, but would he be one of the sleepers described in the article below? 6'5. 40% 3PT shooter on 4 attempts per game. Steal and block numbers are low but looks to be figuring those out, and almost 5 rebounds a game. Seems like the ideal 3 and D role player. I hope he comes back but I wouldn't be shocked if he at least tested the waters for feedback this summer.

https://www.theringer.com/2020/2/27/21155194/nba-draft-2020-wings-josh-green-cassius-stanley
I don’t see him leaving yet but I certainly see him as a lot more than DMW role. I see him as the Ayo replacement as his per minutes stats are very similar to Ayo’s and he is still improving. Hope he is a Gentry project.

Test the waters? His dad is in the NBA and no doubt he'll tell his son, "Stay in frickin' school, get your degree and we'll talk."

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
If Griffin is going to test the waters (and, FWIW, I think he should), it'll be next year. Then again, I could be wrong, lol.

Believe the point of the article was that, in such a weak draft, teams will most likely look to fill roles rather than look for the next superstar. Most in demand role in the NBA right now are 3 and D wings, which Griffin is.

Alan doesn't possess the athleticism of the 2 players mentioned in the article, but he isn't far off, with better shooting, and almost prototypical size for a wing.

I agree I think he would benefit from another year in college, but can't blame anybody for seeking out an NBA paycheck.

Believe the point of the article was that, in such a weak draft, teams will most likely look to fill roles rather than look for the next superstar. Most in demand role in the NBA right now are 3 and D wings, which Griffin is.

Alan doesn't possess the athleticism of the 2 players mentioned in the article, but he isn't far off, with better shooting, and almost prototypical size for a wing.

I agree I think he would benefit from another year in college, but can't blame anybody for seeking out an NBA paycheck.
If Alan doesn’t start before Adam and Dre11, then we have one hell of a guard rotation. He just keeps getting better and I would love for there frosh to be better than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.