2020 Illinois Basketball Appreciation Thread

Andres did so many things well for us and I'm glad that so many people appreciate him. I can't remember a player who was so great at understanding the approach angles and being able to adjust his shot accordingly. He made some great shots even when driving to the basket with the other team's rim protector in front of him. He has one of the better floaters I have seen and is able to adjust his shot quickly and on the fly. He definitely plays taller than he is by virtue of sheer aggressiveness and strong hands. He is an excellent rebounder. I can think of many games where Dre made key plays down the stretch and was instrumental in getting the win. I feel bad for him not getting to play on the big stage. Best wishes to you Andres and thanks for representing the Illini so well!
Our home game against tosu stands out for me because he got C Wesson in foul trouble the whole game. What a stud.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Haven’t had a chance to watch the season highlights yet or even review their record, but off the top of my head 2 games that summarize this team for me: the knockdown drag out loss @ Iowa showed what heart this team has and their beat down of Purdue at home was just a fantastic watch for us fans, and seemed to come at a pivotal moment during the season. Home victories w Michigan and Iowa sweet and oh so good to taste so many varieties of road kill again too! Is it November yet?

This team drew me back in to Illinois Basketball. Huge fan of what BU has accomplished and what this team was. Thank you Illinois and thank you IllinoisLoyalty for being a great way to follow from a distance as well.

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
A season full of shining moments. 🙌 #Illini | #EveryDayGuys | #OneShiningMoment https://t.co/Vkck2b2ywq
Thank you, Fighting Illini, especially you Seniors, for the thrills and chills you gave Illini Nation this season as you brought Illinois Basketball back to national prominence. I’m sorry you did not get the chance to show your true potential and reach your goals. Just know that your hard work and efforts as wonderful representatives and student athletes for the University of Illinois are truly appreciated. You have made us extremely proud. You will NEVER be forgotten. #IlliniForLife 🧡💙
:illinois:

Last edited:
I've just registered after enjoying this forum for a long time, and especially this season. What a wild and unexpected ride these guys gave us. They are not the most talented group, top to bottom, but they are warriors, battlers, junkyard dogs. They never quit and they never hung their heads. I suspect they became a family in the crucible of this season, and that will help them now as they deal with being denied a chance to carry their torch into the BTT and beyond. They have the memories of an unforgettable season, and the appreciation of Illini fans everywhere. This group always will be remembered as the special guys who got the ball rolling for Illini hoops again. Oskee-wow-wow, Illinois!

Given the circumstances, what a great way to go out. Arms raised in victory, Iowa's star player sitting beaten and stunned on the ground, another player in 'surrender cobra' stance as BU's giant cutout face taunts their failed comeback, and all as our fans share in an exuberant and victory-fueled collective realization that "this is really for real! I can finally throw away my cup!!" Sure, tournaments would've been awesome and I think we would've done really well (duh), but this picture and this season are still priceless.

Ayo just showed every high school basketball player in Illinois what staying home can mean. He will forever be known as the guy that brought Illinois basketball back and will be loved for it. I have no doubt that the Khalil Whitney's of the future are watching.

Next year, we continue our R:illinois:SE.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
source.gif

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
I’ve never gotten a tattoo because no image ever met the “yes, I will enjoy that for my entire life” threshold. But Feliz beasting on those two Iowa bigs for that rebound comes pretty close.
+100 cocktails to you, sir. So I guess, given the scale of that scene, that it would be a majestic tapestry occupying your entire back. I'm in favor ;)

I've just registered after enjoying this forum for a long time, and especially this season. What a wild and unexpected ride these guys gave us. They are not the most talented group, top to bottom, but they are warriors, battlers, junkyard dogs. They never quit and they never hung their heads. I suspect they became a family in the crucible of this season, and that will help them now as they deal with being denied a chance to carry their torch into the BTT and beyond. They have the memories of an unforgettable season, and the appreciation of Illini fans everywhere. This group always will be remembered as the special guys who got the ball rolling for Illini hoops again. Oskee-wow-wow, Illinois!

This is Underwoods style. Play hard for 40 minutes or more and rely on your skills to put points on the board. He continues to get the tall, long armed bodies that clog up the passing lanes and the team should keep improving as his recruiting improves.
Can you imagine these Chicago kids as they become more and more familiar with Coach and his results?

Deserves its own space (and then some).

Tournament or not, this will be a team that sticks with me for as long as I'm a fan. Set aside for a second how fun they were to watch, how poised they were late in games, how they thrived on the road, how they attacked the glass in a way I've watched so many teams do from afar with envy - this team truly gave college basketball "back" to me (and I'm sure many of you) after a long time of feeling like I was on the outside looking in.

I'm sure they are all reeling and disappointed right now. But this team didn't need a postseason to accomplish something that will last for a long time - if they (understandably) don't realize that yet, I hope they do soon.

I-L-L
Thanks for this, Matt. I posted a thread on this on 247. What a fantastic team!!! I N I, Matt!!

I’ve never gotten a tattoo because no image ever met the “yes, I will enjoy that for my entire life” threshold. But Feliz beasting on those two Iowa bigs for that rebound comes pretty close.
Well said,Matt. Pretty much defines this year's team. I can't think of any play that better represents the fight these guys had. Despite the sad end to the year I will always fondly remember this team!

Thank you guys for an incredible season. Although you probably feel like you weren’t able to leave your mark (the way that you wanted); you actually did leave your mark. You will forever be the team that made us relevant again. The team that brought us back, but never got it’s chance. We will never forget your names and the way that you played. I-L-L
IIIIIIIIII...............NNNNNNNNNN..................IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Can we talk about about DMFW? He got a ton of heat earlier in the season when we were underperforming but he didn’t let it get to him and wound up being our defensive ace. He gave up a ton of size and still completely shut down Lamar Stevens on the road. He also carried us in the first half of senior night physically and emotionally. DaMonte was the man and our ultimate everyday guy.
Like his dad's old running mate from Peoria, Sergio McLain, he did the dirty work that wins games. #PeoriaStrong

Just watched that highlight video for Feliz and really bummed me out again about the tourney getting cancelled this year. Sure it’s bias, but just have a feeling we would have gone on a run and Feliz would have been a big part of it, making some key steal grabbing a key rebound in close games. And I think he would have been one of those tournament darling type of stories. Hard not to route for the kid when you hear his back story.

Missing the tourney is still small potatoes in the scheme of all of this, but still sad Feliz didn’t get his shining moment. Will remember him with as much fondness as Ayo.