2020 MLS Thread

Season starts this weekend so time to start this thread.

No Paul Arriola for DC United as he tore his ACL during a pre-season game against Orlando City.

Opening weekend games include defending champion Seattle Sounders hosting Chicago Fire on Sunday which will be nationally televised. Other nationally televised games this weekend include expansion side Nashville SC vs. Atlanta United on Saturday night and LAFC vs. Inter Miami and Portland Timbers vs. Minnesota United on Sunday.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
A very committed new owner is going to lift the Fire to one of the top clubs in the league. Seriously. To be clear, not expecting immediate team results (new DPs/internationals not here yet). They might not make the playoffs (I think they will), but the dark, dark cloud has finally lifted. Hallelujah!

Fire will be on the road the first few weekends this season. After this weekend they will be at New England and Orlando City before the home opener return to Soldier Field vs. Atlanta United on March 21st.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Fire will be on the road the first few weekends this season. After this weekend they will be at New England and Orlando City before the home opener return to Soldier Field vs. Atlanta United on March 21st.

Thank goodness! Home matches in March are dismal. Supposedly, 30k tickets are sold for the opener.

A very committed new owner is going to lift the Fire to one of the top clubs in the league. Seriously. To be clear, not expecting immediate team results (new DPs/internationals not here yet). They might not make the playoffs (I think they will), but the dark, dark cloud has finally lifted. Hallelujah!
Too bad everything he has done so far has been terrible. Rebrand is awful. Playing at Soldier Field is dumb. Coaching choice is questionable. Roster is still up in the air. I hope I am wrong but I think they finish well out of the playoff places and average less than 20k. They have been pushing that opening game hard for months. I wouldn’t be surprised if many of those seats were free giveaways similar to when the Red Stars “sold out” Toyota Park. Hopefully I am wrong on all fronts because the organization has been brutal for years

Neale Stoner Fan Club

Tailgreat
Chiraq
Painful loss for the Chicago Fire. OTOH they looked good attacking, had two goals disallowed for offsides.

I don't like Soldier Field as a venue. and the rebrand is awful

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Painful loss for the Chicago Fire. OTOH they looked good attacking, had two goals disallowed for offsides.

Bronico is clearly the weakest link. When he is replaced by Sekulic, I expect much stouter D.

Considering they were undermanned, they played well. Hopefully, some of the new guys will be ready next match.

I'd be curious to get your reasoning behind this, especially considering the team is trying to build another stadium in the downtown Chicago area.
It will be less than 1/3 filled for most games which will lead to a dead environment. The surface is usually bad especially once the Bears season starts. It is not that easy to get to as the closest El stop is got to be over a mile walk. I know bridgeview was not in the city and not the most convenient place to get to for most but when the team was good the place was packed.

Also if you had to rebrand so desperately, why not go with the Sting? Whatever this is that they did is terrible. The fire name, colors and logo were all well established and quality. Whomever Joe paid fleeced him good.

Arlo White to call Fire games airing on WGN-TV and ESPN+. The matches he will call, with former USMNT player Tony Meola, will mainly take place during the Premier League offseason as well as when White is not calling matches during the Tokyo Olympics.

Alejandro Irarragorri, who owns Liga MX sides Santos Laguna and Atlas, is promoting an MLS/Liga MX super league idea that would be beneficial for both sides long term and states that MLS' model (no promotion/relegation) offers an example of sustainable growth for Liga MX: https://www.espn.com/soccer/mexican...int-league-has-long-term-benefits-irarragorri

Irarragorri's comments come after Liga MX announced that they would be suspending promotion and relegation for the next five years.