2020 NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the odds we have Kofi next year?

I know it's a good problem but holy hell we'll be never have another like him.
50/50. Three major questions:

1)Can he continue this level of play consistently over the next 20+ games?

2)Does he develop a game that goes foul line extended....that 15 to 17 foot jumper?

3)Can he defend mobile big guys?

If you say yes to all three....he's gone and good for him! If not, he'll need another year. The days of the back to the basket center have really evaporated. They ask the 5 to be extremely versatile.

Kofi's ability to hit foul shots smoothly tells me that it's in there.

Bailey

Los Angeles
I don't think he necessarily needs to develop a face up game at this level to draw 1st round interest. He's elite at rim protection, running baseline to baseline, and most importantly - his free throws. That last skill is what truly separates him from most bigs with his strength and skill set.

I don't think he necessarily needs to develop a face up game at this level to draw 1st round interest. He's elite at rim protection, running baseline to baseline, and most importantly - his free throws. That last skill is what truly separates him from most bigs with his strength and skill set.

Don't underestimate the power of a potential conversation:

A) You have only been playing for 3 years...yes you are very good, but another year could make you great.
B) C'mon man hang with me, it's fun, we have a blast, we will reign terror on the rest of the league and we got a NY guard coming in to feed us.

First one by the staff, the second one by Giorgi. Imagine Curbelo, Frazier, Miller, Giorgi, Kofi next year....man oh man!

Don't underestimate the power of a potential conversation:

A) You have only been playing for 3 years...yes you are very good, but another year could make you great.
B) C'mon man hang with me, it's fun, we have a blast, we will reign terror on the rest of the league and we got a NY guard coming in to feed us.

First one by the staff, the second one by Giorgi. Imagine Curbelo, Frazier, Miller, Giorgi, Kofi next year....man oh man!
Five years, 40M would trump any conversation. Keep in mind, outside of obviously winning, it's these coaches jobs(if recruiting high level guys) to get them to the NBA asap. He's getting close. He's getting the national attention now.

Five years, 40M would trump any conversation. Keep in mind, outside of obviously winning, it's these coaches jobs(if recruiting high level guys) to get them to the NBA asap. He's getting close. He's getting the national attention now.

Ayo is rated #51 in latest SI Draft ranking, Kofi still is not, but he will be as well.

I think as we sit here today, we very well might be lucky to have both back next year. If so, and we play as we did last night...WOW!

There will be more Arizona lapses I think than Michigan full games unfortunately due to nothing else than maturity and skill sets still being honed and players being young so it will take some more time.

If this happens, then we will have both, Ayo is squarely in 2nd round as of now, Kofi is still a back to basket force, albeit a BIG force, but still the NBA is getting away and has been from this typical kind of player.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Is there any historical precedent to a guy only playing organized basketball for 4 years being drafted?

I'm not saying no way, and somebody could stick a ton of green in front of him and then stick him in the development leagues, but I think it would be rare if not unprecedented. His connection to Giorgi and this team seems very real and he is clearly a high character young man.

If he stays....we will be a top 10 team next year. Zero doubt. Miller or Ayo....doesn't matter....except it matters.

Is there any historical precedent to a guy only playing organized basketball for 4 years being drafted?

I'm not saying no way, and somebody could stick a ton of green in front of him and then stick him in the development leagues, but I think it would be rare if not unprecedented. His connection to Giorgi and this team seems very real and he is clearly a high character young man.

If he stays....we will be a top 10 team next year. Zero doubt. Miller or Ayo....doesn't matter....except it matters.
Pascal Siakam only played a couple years before going to UNLV and becoming a first rounder.

If Ayo could be 1/20th of the player Delon Wright is he would be leading the Illini in scoring

"shooting for" being the key word. But I actually disagree, Delon's strength wasn't/isn't his scoring and their averages are not that far off from each other. He was better overall, no doubt, but a worse shooter. I think Ayo's draft stock hinges on his ability to show that he can handle spot duties as the lead guard but mostly serve as a high-quality defender and shooter/scorer. So far, he hasn't been particularly great in any of those besides sprinting ahead in transition. As another poster mentioned, I often wonder what happened to Team USA-defender Ayo that we heard so much about.

Ayo doesn’t have the handles or the perimeter shooting ability to be an NBA player at this time. He and his handlers have put enormous pressure on him with this NBA 1st rounder pipe dream

There was a moment in last nights game when he started to make a move that showed his handles, but didn't end up doing much with it. I think he has a lot more ability than he's shown, but doesn't appear to have the mental tenacity/drive to put it on display at all times, on both ends of the court. Seeing guys with talent not use it makes me all the more impressed by guys like Zavier Simpson, who just think and feel the game at such a high level that it makes up for their limitations.

who do we have to replace Kofi?
Well, a big like this who goes after one year is probably not going to be replaced. But who could offset the loss.

Right now, I wish the video production team would just pretend he doesn't exist. I can live without seeing reruns of putback slam dunks, blocked shots, and running full court for layups. I just want him to come back.

If he can develop a 15-17 foot jumper....he's a lottery pick. I say that because the true center is no longer in the NBA. All of these guys can take their game out to the perimeter. I also wonder about his ability to guard an NBA 5.

The new NBA vision of bigs has been driven in part by the fact that they aren't easy to find, especially with mobility. Kofi appears to have a lot of mobility that is missing with most guys his size. Your question about his ability to guard a 5 who's running out to the perimeter might be the biggest question. Because if he can do that fairly well he'll have more than a few teams wondering how their 5 is going to guard him on the post.

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
I can't see Kofi coming back for his sophomore season. This guy is a freak with his size, athleticism, motor, shot blocking ability, and recently acquired free throw shooting touch. That's enough promise right there to make him a first-rounder in the 2020 NBA Draft.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
His game is not NBA ready. He needs polish. He'll be back.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Hope you're right, but at this point I'm beginning to doubt it. NBA drafts on potential all the time, and Kofi has loads of it.

Even with him gone, I think we'll be okay. Giorgi back in his natural position, and as a Junior, would still be nice. A step down from Kofi, sure, but still at least an upper half of the B1G caliber big man. Combine that with a true passing PG in Curbelo, a Senior Trent, Miller/returning Ayo, and a few other nice pieces (including hopefully a wing who can provide solid minutes whether it's Tev, BBV, Hutcherson, Grandison, Griffin...) and that's a really nice, deep team with a good combination of experience and talent.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Hope you're right, but at this point I'm beginning to doubt it. NBA drafts on potential all the time, and Kofi has loads of it.

Even with him gone, I think we'll be okay. Giorgi back in his natural position, and as a Junior, would still be nice. A step down from Kofi, sure, but still at least an upper half of the B1G caliber big man. Combine that with a true passing PG in Curbelo, a Senior Trent, Miller/returning Ayo, and a few other nice pieces (including hopefully a wing who can provide solid minutes whether it's Tev, BBV, Hutcherson, Grandison, Griffin...) and that's a really nice, deep team with a good combination of experience and talent.

It's totally possible. I just think the NBA is such a different game for bigs now that he'll need some polish to get a strong foundation that will carry him through a 10+ year career. I honestly see him very much like Ayo. I said before last year that IMO his trajectory should match D Will's. Three years and lottery pick.

I don't think Ayo or Kofi will be lottery picks this year.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Worth noting Kofi is already 20. He should leave when he has the best opportunity to.

I agree with statements #1 and #2. But the NBA often drafts on potential. Get a team that has a strong front office with a good vision and you pick a Kofi and let him develop for a year or 2 against the best in the world. Doesn't always work out, but we've all seen plenty of "potential draft picks".

I hope he doesn't go. A 2nd year with Kofi would be more fun than I've had as an Illini fan since 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.