2020 NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen several that talk about "former Illini guard" and talk about how he ended up on Oakland. Will agree that it stinks Illinois doesn't just get normal publicity for him.
I've seen some, but unfortunately not the norm. This is just yesterdays from Sports Illustrated.

"Miami Heat guard Kendrick Nunn is making a strong case to challenge for the NBA’s Rookie of the Year award.

Nunn had another statement game in Wednesday’s victory against the San Antonio Spurs at AmericanAirlines Arena. He finished with a game-high 33 points on 13 of 18 shooting with three rebounds and four assists. Nunn, an undrafted rookie out of Oakland University, is averaging 15.8 points, ranking second among first-year players. He has started every game this season."

Last edited:
I've seen some, but unfortunately not the norm. This is just yesterdays from Sports Illustrated.

"Miami Heat guard Kendrick Nunn is making a strong case to challenge for the NBA’s Rookie of the Year award.

Nunn had another statement game in Wednesday’s victory against the San Antonio Spurs at AmericanAirlines Arena. He finished with a game-high 33 points on 13 of 18 shooting with three rebounds and four assists. Nunn, an undrafted rookie out of Oakland University, is averaging 15.8 points, ranking second among first-year players. He has started every game this season."
I wish Kendrick the best. I hope he wins rookie of the year. I also hope and it seems he has learned from his mistakes that caused his dismal from our program. It really sucks that that happened he was one of my favorite players on the court. I loved he aggressiveness and ability. I am thankful that he it seems he has learned from this and i look at the Heat box scores everyday to see how Myers and KN played. I wish he had finished as and Illini but in the long run the final result is more important.

remember when every year Kansas guard Brandon Rush was testing the draft... ugh, got sick of that every. year.

From what I've seen, Ayo is barely registering in mock drafts. Kofi isn't on the radar either, although it's hard to believe he's getting evaluated as a 2020 draft prospect on the mock sites, given he's not likely to declare.

Winning will help Ayo, but scoring guards have to be able to hit the 3 ball at a good clip --something Ayo hasn't done this year. You could make the case that he's regressed somewhat this year. I don't think that's the case --we see it too often that a player emerges as a star, then struggles when they're properly scouted. Not sure when he makes his next jump, but I hope for his sake he's able to do it within this season. Everyone watches during the dance, and that can change perceptions when you're on the biggest stage.

I wish Kendrick the best. I hope he wins rookie of the year. I also hope and it seems he has learned from his mistakes that caused his dismal from our program. It really sucks that that happened he was one of my favorite players on the court. I loved he aggressiveness and ability. I am thankful that he it seems he has learned from this and i look at the Heat box scores everyday to see how Myers and KN played. I wish he had finished as and Illini but in the long run the final result is more important.
If KN stayed his senior year I believe Malcolm would have made an NCAA tournament appearance and JG may still be an Illini coach ( I sensed JW liked JG). I too wish the best for KN and consider him part of the Illini family.

Bailey

Los Angeles
there's zero chance Kendrick is winning ROY, but would love to see him make 1st team all rookie and play in the rising stars game on all star weekend.

there's zero chance Kendrick is winning ROY, but would love to see him make 1st team all rookie and play in the rising stars game on all star weekend.
Zero? Who is favorite? Ja Morant? Other than that, not sure there are many I'd say at Nunn's level this year.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Unless Zion drags the Pels to the playoffs starting this week, Ja has it pretty much wrapped up. He's a superstar. Might be in the all star game.

Deleted member 8896

D
Unless Zion drags the Pels to the playoffs starting this week, Ja has it pretty much wrapped up. He's a superstar. Might be in the all star game.
If Luka wasn’t in last year Ja doesn’t have a prayer.

It seems like there are actually quite a few good bigs in the college ball this year. What does that say about Kofi's draftability this year? Seems like it might make it a little more likely that he sticks around.

It seems like there are actually quite a few good bigs in the college ball this year. What does that say about Kofi's draftability this year? Seems like it might make it a little more likely that he sticks around.
Not necessarily, everyone is talking about his potential already. Bardo and Dakich seem to think that he would be drafted in the lottery in this upcoming draft! They have have more experience then any of us wannabes....

Last edited:
Not necessarily, everyone is talking about his potential already. Bardo and Dakich seem to think that he would be drafted in the lottery in this upcoming draft! They have have more experience then any of us wannabes....
Kofi not listed on any draft projections I can find. Don’t believe Dakich is any expert. Lot of games left for Kofi’s stock to improve. Starts making 10-15 footers and will gain more attention. Right now just a great college center.

Kofi not listed on any draft projections I can find. Don’t believe Dakich is any expert. Lot of games left for Kofi’s stock to improve. Starts making 10-15 footers and will gain more attention. Right now just a great college center.
Lol, draftboards mean nothing especially this early in the season. I want him here next year just as much as anyone but guys who are NOT US consistently see his POTENTIAL. Draftboards will catch up.

Last edited:
Lol, draftboards mean nothing. I want him here next year just as much as anyone but guys who are NOT US consistently see his POTENTIAL. Draftboards will catch up.
Obviously announcers a lot more knowledgeable than draft boards.

Obviously announcers a lot more knowledgeable than draft boards.
Yeah announcers who have played ball at higher levels than you or I and immersed themselves in the game who also make a living from it ?🙄 Again, its early in the season but draftboards usually catch up. Sometimes it may take prospects going to workouts but the draftboards this early are never accurate.....

Deleted member 17568

D
Yeah announcers who have played ball at higher levels than you or I and immersed themselves in the game who also make a living from it ?🙄 Again, its early in the season but draftboards usually catch up. Sometimes it may take prospects going to workouts but the draftboards this early are never accurate.....

The people who put together the draft boards talk to executives and coaches and others in assessing players. The most recent one from Sam Vecenie of The Athletic dropped today. Ayo at 64 and Kofi at 102. The list is 101 players long but he mentions Kofi as being next.

Link for those with a subscription:

https://theathletic.com/1554532/202...arent-performing-so-lets-focus-on-the-risers/

haasi

New York
The people who put together the draft boards talk to executives and coaches and others in assessing players. The most recent one from Sam Vecenie of The Athletic dropped today. Ayo at 64 and Kofi at 102. The list is 101 players long but he mentions Kofi as being next.

Link for those with a subscription:

https://theathletic.com/1554532/202...arent-performing-so-lets-focus-on-the-risers/
Basically he thinks Kofi is like a young Azubuike, and the standard for bigs in the nba is too high now and azubuike is still only borderline draftable as a senior. Also noteworthy that he didn’t rank Garza in the 101. Oturu was quite high. Basically, his thesis is that if you’re a big, you’ve got to be very nimble, able to defend multiple positions at a high level, and shoot- scoring down low out of the post is basically irrelevant. Pretty big gulf between Dakich and an established NBA writer in Vecenie- will be interesting to see how this plays out. I personally would like Kofi to stay one more year and that’s it. Want him to be around to help us next year (we’ll need him) and get drafted high so we can use his story in recruiting.

illinimike

Wheaton, IL
I am beginning to be a little more nervous that we may only have Kofi for one year. I sure hope we get two, but he sure looks solid against some very good talent early in the season. Well done tonight to the team! We needed this one!

I suppose the silver lining there is that BU would have a proven record of utilizing an elite center and get him to the next level. It would be great to get more elite 4 and 5s to commit. Seems like that was always one of the biggest weaknesses of the Groce era.

I only think he should go pro if he is really firmly in the first round.

Not going this year would almost certainly be a net negative. He isn't going to improve enough in 1 more year to justify tacking on another year of age and sporting the dreaded upperclassmen badge in the draft sheet.

Winning will help Ayo, but scoring guards have to be able to hit the 3 ball at a good clip --something Ayo hasn't done this year.

Agreed, he needs to be more efficient and show a greater willingness to pull from 3. But, have several more 8+ assist games like Purdue and that will help out a lot as well.

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
I suppose the silver lining there is that BU would have a proven record of utilizing an elite center and get him to the next level. It would be great to get more elite 4 and 5s to commit. Seems like that was always one of the biggest weaknesses of the Groce era.

With Big10 play in full swing, I am retracting my initial statement. KC is still playing great, but I think he takes another year to develop his skills to try to make his stock greater for next year (as some here have mentioned with OA and BU influencing that decision/development). I sure hope this to be the case so we have another good year of development for someone to take over while we continue to get those highlight reels/exposure to help us keep landing those top recruits. The ball is finally rolling down the hill!

illinimike

Wheaton, IL
With Big10 play in full swing, I am retracting my initial statement. KC is still playing great, but I think he takes another year to develop his skills to try to make his stock greater for next year (as some here have mentioned with OA and BU influencing that decision/development). I sure hope this to be the case so we have another good year of development for someone to take over while we continue to get those highlight reels/exposure to help us keep landing those top recruits. The ball is finally rolling down the hill!

Agreed. After I replied I realized your post was from last month. Funny how much can change so quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.