2020 NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only real problem is that the ncaa doesn’t allow student athletes to transfer without penalty when they’ve tried it somewhere and its not gonna work out.

Which is EXACTLY what they should allow, hell coaches get to do it. Get rid of one and done, and get rid of sitting out a full year, possibly sit out ONLY the equivelant timespan the following year as to what has expired during the year a player would announce a transfer intention. Schools should be held to strict adherence to a "no-contact" ethics to kids already at another school, and lose scholarships if they are found to tamper with a kid already playing for someone else.

Interesting to see Ayo listed as the #30 pick in the NBA draft on CBS sports.com. I know these lists are fluid and vary wildly depending upon who compiled it but it seems reasonable to see that his stock is on the rise based on recent play. I think if it were to come to fruition it would be great for Ayo and for the Illinois Basketball program.

Kofi is getting better quicklly but it is clear he needs another year or two. He hasnt been playing long. Oturu is likely a borderline first round pick and it was fun to watch. I think Kofi can be a lottery pick with a lot of work and time doing exactly what he is doing. You cant rush things he hasnt been playing long. If he gets to the lottery he will be set for life.

Deleted member 17568

D
Kofi is getting better quicklly but it is clear he needs another year or two. He hasnt been playing long. Oturu is likely a borderline first round pick and it was fun to watch. I think Kofi can be a lottery pick with a lot of work and time doing exactly what he is doing. You cant rush things he hasnt been playing long. If he gets to the lottery he will be set for life.

nbadraft.net has Oturu as a top 10 pick. I suspect he'll solidly be in the 1st round by the summer. But I agree that Kofi needs one more year.

If you look at all the the list of former Illinois players in the NBA (see post 256), the all time leading PPG scorers are Deron Williams and ...........................................
yes "Kendrick Nunn" !!!!!!!

Interesting to see Ayo listed as the #30 pick in the NBA draft on CBS sports.com. I know these lists are fluid and vary wildly depending upon who compiled it but it seems reasonable to see that his stock is on the rise based on recent play. I think if it were to come to fruition it would be great for Ayo and for the Illinois Basketball program.
I’m really pulling for him and hope he gets drafted this summer. Great kid, great for the Illini program, and has led us back from b-ball purgatory.

Surprised that Jalen Smith is ranked higher than Oturu.

Right nowf Luca Garza is not one of the top 60 draft picks! This may mean he is expected to return to Iowa for his senior year. If he does return, Iowa will have all it's scoring back and will have one hell of a team next year!!!!

Right nowf Luca Garza is not one of the top 60 draft picks! This may mean he is expected to return to Iowa for his senior year. If he does return, Iowa will have all it's scoring back and will have one hell of a team next year!!!!
I agree that Garza isn't cut out for the league. He's not athletic enough. Really hope he declares tho

He reminds me of a less polished Frank Kaminsky, and that pick didn't exactly bloom.
Certainly less versatile, but stronger. Frank was a top 10 pick, and has turned out to be a decent rotation piece. Maybe not top 10 worthy, but with those stats he'd still be a first rounder. Garza right now doesn't have the foot speed to go first round and will be borderline second. Iowa is a top 10 or top 5 team in the nation next year if he stays.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
After he got feedback from the league last year, I really hoped Wiescamp would possibly be gone after this year at Iowa as well. Now I don't see him leaving either. They could be really scary next year with Bohannon back.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Certainly less versatile, but stronger. Frank was a top 10 pick, and has turned out to be a decent rotation piece. Maybe not top 10 worthy, but with those stats he'd still be a first rounder. Garza right now doesn't have the foot speed to go first round and will be borderline second. Iowa is a top 10 or top 5 team in the nation next year if he stays.
I should give Frank more credit - he's still in the league - but I don't think anybody would spend a lottery pick on him if they could do it over again. Agree with your comp of the two. Frank had a very polished back to the basket game to go with his jumper.

After he got feedback from the league last year, I really hoped Wiescamp would possibly be gone after this year at Iowa as well. Now I don't see him leaving either. They could be really scary next year with Bohannon back.

Plus Tyler Ulis' little brother.:)

philcon

Plano, TX
IA has a bunch of those players that are very good...but not NBA ready. So.....they stay four years. I'd like to bit ch but that's also what we have in Trent Frazier and have had in others in the past. Doesn't make it less irritating :) How much better does anyone think Garza is going to get. I think he's reached his plateau and playing against people much smaller and three years younger isn't going to help his draft status but maybe that's not his end game.

Last edited:
Surprised that Jalen Smith is ranked higher than Oturu.

Oturu is playing along the boys now, as is Smith...difference is Smith is a prototypical athletic running 4 slotted guy at the next level, Oturu is the same, just not as athletic as Smith.

If you're looking at just Freshmen Centers then you have Isaiah Stewart, Zeke Nnaji, and Vernon Carey Jr. ahead of Kofi. You could also make a case for Onyeka Okongwu, Jaden McDaniels, and Trendon Watford since they each played the role of "center" on their teams at least in part.

Kofi would be probably at least 10th-15th on centers/forwards (PF-not slashing types drafted)...

Wiseman, Stewart, Nnaji, Oturu, Smith, Carey, Okongwu, Reed, Watford, Tillman, Wesson, Avidja, there may be more but these have been listed at the PF/C positions and ranked on mock draft boards as well. Kofi has a great upside/game...good for us, we get him at least 1 more year!

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Hope we get him but not because Kofi is leaving. Really want him to stay one more year.

Nothing set in stone yet, but I would not be surprised if he's gone.

NBA Scout feedback has been pretty good, obviously a few things he has to work on but belief is someone will take the chance.

He has a good BT tourney and NCAA tourney, then the decision might get a lot easier for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.