2020 NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEYPAY

Springfield
This is a cool looking graphic but doesnt seem to be very intuitive or logical.:

On shots, beyond arc at top of key...it shows "42%" shooting with red dots...red according to color key is way below ncaa avg (42% "below avg" really?)

On shots in corners..shows 17 and 20% with blue dots...blue according to color key is "above avg"....which is unbelievable.

All that said,....this initially cool chart at closer look at colors seems to defy logic.

I think you need to reverse the colors... sort of like a heat map -- red means hot (good), blue means ice (bad).

I think you need to reverse the colors... sort of like a heat map -- red means hot (good), blue means ice (bad).
Got it....he shot very well from top of the arc...never would have guessed 42% from there. Corners are not his spot.

Ayo's shot chart underscores why NBA teams are right to be skeptical about him. The three areas he's above average (top of the key, couple mid-range spots, and the basket) are not likely to be where he'll be taking shots in order to succeed at the next level. I don't see him finishing at the rim as much with his lack of bounce and NBA-level rim protection, and we know teams view mid-range shots as poison. He can hit a straight line 3 but is really bad at corner threes and, perhaps most importantly, floaters.

Reactions: BWA

jmwillini

Tolono, IL
If the NBA draft goes ahead without changes, (not counting date), I would guess it will be like the NFL draft. With a few exceptions, it was a very 'chalk' draft for at least the first 3-4 rounds. So if Ayo and Kofi are hearing they are being drafted low/not at all, that may sway their decisions. Not sure how the Euro leagues will play out and that may alter Kofi's decision. Not saying he doesn't want he NBA, but his age may play in.

Ayo's shot chart underscores why NBA teams are right to be skeptical about him. The three areas he's above average (top of the key, couple mid-range spots, and the basket) are not likely to be where he'll be taking shots in order to succeed at the next level. I don't see him finishing at the rim as much with his lack of bounce and NBA-level rim protection, and we know teams view mid-range shots as poison. He can hit a straight line 3 but is really bad at corner threes and, perhaps most importantly, floaters.
Didn't Kawhi just lead Toronto to the NBA title mostly from the mid range?

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland

Seems like an odd place to continue this conversation...which I loved when I saw it...but I gotta: Lebrun James is an incredible player, but he was anointed as such when he began, and was treated that way: Jordan fought for everything he got and brought SIX titles to Chicago without running off to join others who could help him with the task. Now, Jordan benefited from Pippen and others, but he ran that show.

In terms of the GOAT, Jordan is always going to the man in my book, and that is giving all due respect to the player Lebron is. But the GOAT means more than just being great...it is the player who comes along and elevates the whole league, and is always the guy who gives everything he’s got, every game, for the fans, at home or away.

Truthfully, how is Bill Russell, who fought through the prejudice of being a black man in Boston, and won so many championships, not worthy of being in that conversation? Or Oscar Robertson, who did not demand the ball, but was simply so good he couldn’t help but do what he did?

Being the GOAT is a tough call...and Lebron is an incredible player and social advocate, but I am still in the Jordan camp.

This is from April and quotes an NBA scout. The source quality is unknown to me and hopefully this isn't a repost.

https://pypeline.co/nba-draft-analysis-ayo-dosunmu/

Gonna root for him either way he decides.

With the draft withdrawal deadline so far out, doesn't that mean the staff will have to hold a spot for him right up through the August? Seems like this year's timing is going to make it difficult for a lot of teams to finalize their rosters.

Status
Not open for further replies.