2020 NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
Kofi Cockburn declared for NBA Draft on April 7th
Ayo Dosunmu declared for NBA Draft on April 15th

Last edited:
What does 'negative momentum' mean in this context?!

His stock is falling. Without workouts I can see their perspective. He is a long 6’5 combo guard with good handles, fantastic speed and a good finisher to his right, particularly in transition. But he is still rather slim, doesn’t appear very bouncy, he doesn’t shoot it well, and he doesn’t accrue a high number of assists.

Workouts could have eased concerns with his shooting ability if he goes in and knocks down 80/100 3s. The athleticism tests in those workouts could have shown his vert and other athletic measurables. Without those things the questions surrounding him probably just become negatives over time as execs look for the most “sure things” they can find.

haasi

New York
Any articles with consensus opinions. Hard to put much credence in any one person's opinion?
Here’s an aggregate from a few weeks ago that has Ayo 51. https://hoopshype.com/2020/04/04/20...draft-5-0-international-prospects-are-rising/

Incorporates ESPN, SI, Athletic, CBS, Sporting News and a few others.
the drafts it’s pulling from all over the place. Ayo is in the thirties in two, the fifties in one, and unlisted in the other six. Really hard to know how he’s being perceived and where he will go.

It's important to remember that even if the consensus is "go back", it can take just one team with a high level of interest to sway towards staying in. If you have a good idea that your floor is going to be team X in the mid second round that told you as much, then the consensus of other scouts/execs/etc. doesn't really matter too much.

Reactions: BWA

Illini in OC

In. The. Alley.
Just a question from the uninformed...

What can/will Jerry Colangelo do to assist/coach/etc. Ayo and Kofi through this process? Let's assume Jerry is interested in helping his Illini, will have the players' (i.e. not NBA, Illini, USA Basketball or NCAA) best interests at heart and provide best possible help.

What might "best possible help" mean?

Thanks Loyalty.

The way this is looking, thinking both should be back. Covid is not doing them any favors. Now if the draft gets moved back (which I think is a possibility with the NBA still wanting to finish the season, who knows if things could change. Playoffs could be moved back to the Fall and draft to follow shortly after with individual/virtual workouts allowed or something.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
It's important to remember that even if the consensus is "go back", it can take just one team with a high level of interest to sway towards staying in. If you have a good idea that your floor is going to be team X in the mid second round that told you as much, then the consensus of other scouts/execs/etc. doesn't really matter too much.
The obvious risk with this theory, if that mid-2nd round team has someone that slides to them, that they didn't think would be available, now you are waiting on the field again.

Of the 132 college players selected in the second round of the last six NBA drafts, 91 of them — or 68.9 percent — received at least a one-year guaranteed NBA contract, meaning they had at least one season where they made the NBA’s minimum salary. This past season, the NBA minimum for a rookie was $815,615, a number that will continue to rise as the NBA’s salary cap rises.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports...aranteed-contracts-at-exceedingly-high-rates/

If these numbers are correct a second-round pick has a 65 to 70% of collecting a pay check for a year.

If you were AD and KC, would you roll the dice?

Of the 132 college players selected in the second round of the last six NBA drafts, 91 of them — or 68.9 percent — received at least a one-year guaranteed NBA contract, meaning they had at least one season where they made the NBA’s minimum salary. This past season, the NBA minimum for a rookie was $815,615, a number that will continue to rise as the NBA’s salary cap rises.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports...aranteed-contracts-at-exceedingly-high-rates/

If these numbers are correct a second-round pick has a 65 to 70% of collecting a pay check for a year.

Not if the feedback that you are getting is that you will go undrafted.

I will just say this now, both are coming back unless they wish to fail as professional athletes.

I mean please.

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05

No because that 68.9% becomes 100% when you work your way into the first round next year.

chrisRunner7

Spokane, WA
Sources: NBA discusses delaying start of 2020-21 season until December

Article also says it's probably just a matter of time before the NBA Draft gets delayed. I found this quote kinda sobering:

"If you start in December, that doesn't mean the people are coming back in December, but maybe they're back by March," one member of the board of governors told ESPN on Friday.

I have no clue on how this might impact Ayo or Kofi 'cause if the NBA delays its season, you'd think the NCAA would follow suit.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
Absolutely not. The NCAA is not going to be doing something that crazy on account for a 160 baseball players testing another league.

I don't think it's a direct correlation to the NBA. I think it's more that if the NBA really believes that need to push their season back, things aren't good enough to let college basketball go on as usual.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2020/05/01/nba-delays-2020-draft-lottery-and-combine/

Draft lottery and combine officially delayed. Actual draft not yet delayed. Does anyone know how the NCAA and NBA draft are formally intertwined? For example, do the NCAA eligibility rules state that a player must withdraw within 2 weeks of the NBA draft, or 1 week following the conclusion of the Draft Combine, or something else?

Personally, I think the NBA should cancel the season, and have the draft as planned without a combine. The NCAA should make an exception that waives the withdrawal rule allowing undrafted students to retain eligibility. The logistics for any other option, I think, become too complex taking into account regional differences.

Even if the NBA wants to continue the season while keeping the original draft date they can freeze the current standings for draft purposes, or extend the lottery to include all 30 teams. They have a number of options.

I think if the NBA decides to cancel the rest of this season and start back again in December to combine seasons, it quite naturally will force alot of kids back to school. I believe there will be a dominoe effect with NBA teams making the safest pick with this condensed draft that may occur.

It would be a great problem to have for BU to gel all the talent and possibly win a season or tournament title! Regardless I wish all these young men the best!

illiniCA

DC Area
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2020/05/01/nba-delays-2020-draft-lottery-and-combine/

Draft lottery and combine officially delayed. Actual draft not yet delayed. Does anyone know how the NCAA and NBA draft are formally intertwined? For example, do the NCAA eligibility rules state that a player must withdraw within 2 weeks of the NBA draft, or 1 week following the conclusion of the Draft Combine, or something else?

Personally, I think the NBA should cancel the season, and have the draft as planned without a combine. The NCAA should make an exception that waives the withdrawal rule allowing undrafted students to retain eligibility. The logistics for any other option, I think, become too complex taking into account regional differences.

Even if the NBA wants to continue the season while keeping the original draft date they can freeze the current standings for draft purposes, or extend the lottery to include all 30 teams. They have a number of options.

Totally agree. Remove the uncertainty and possible scheduling issue between NBA and NCAA but the NBA probably doesn’t care

Status
Not open for further replies.