2020 NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sources: NBA discusses delaying start of 2020-21 season until December

Article also says it's probably just a matter of time before the NBA Draft gets delayed. I found this quote kinda sobering:

"If you start in December, that doesn't mean the people are coming back in December, but maybe they're back by March," one member of the board of governors told ESPN on Friday.

I have no clue on how this might impact Ayo or Kofi 'cause if the NBA delays its season, you'd think the NCAA would follow suit.
Fine, delayed until December isn't much of a delay for colleges which start around Nov. 7th. I checked, we played 7 games in November this past season. To me it comes down to testing in the main. If you can test everyone that has to be in the arena on game day itself, you should be pretty darned safe.

It's important to remember that even if the consensus is "go back", it can take just one team with a high level of interest to sway towards staying in. If you have a good idea that your floor is going to be team X in the mid second round that told you as much, then the consensus of other scouts/execs/etc. doesn't really matter too much.
Maybe so, but I would guess it's pretty rare for NBA execs to make such a promise to a 2nd rounder.

I dont know if the so called experts have a clue we are in uncharted waters
Admittedly their tool box has been shortened, but there is a ton of film out there and what do they have to do now besides watch film. They still will have pretty darned informed opinions on guys. Film, plus stats, they will have educated opinions.

The obvious risk with this theory, if that mid-2nd round team has someone that slides to them, that they didn't think would be available, now you are waiting on the field again.

Definitely true. A lot of teams take promises very seriously though, because failing to act on that can ruin a relationship with that player's agent, which can have free agency dominoes. This was the case with the Bulls and Chandler Hutchinson -- could've snagged a falling Robert Williams but instead honored the promise.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=ayo-dosunmu--tyrese-maxey

Can someone explain to me why Tyrese Maxes is a projected lottery pick, while Ayo is much lower? I read knocks on certain aspects of his game, which is fair, but those same criticisms don’t hold true for all players. Trying to understand what the difference is.

Good question -- something that confuses me too. I don't really get the infatuation with Maxey at that point in the draft. I think it's partly a "new shiny object" thing, a feeling that he will be a good shooter given his FT%, and a projection that he'll be better when he's the PG with the ball in his hands rather than sharing it like he did this year.

haasi

New York

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ecisions-that-will-impact-college-basketball/

Most critical toss-up NBA decisions
1. Kofi Cockburn, Illinois: Cockburn was one of the 10 best freshmen in college basketball last season. He averaged 13.3 points, 8.8 rebounds and 1.4 blocks on his way to becoming the Big Ten Freshman of the Year. Cockburn is a traditional around-the-rim big. If this is 20 years ago, he's easily a first-round pick. His teammate, Ayo Dosunmu, is believed to be gone for good. Cockburn wasn't outrageously efficient (53.5% from 2-point range) and he's got room to grow. Illinois still wouldn't quite be a preseason top 25 team with him, but the Fighting Illini would immediately, and again, have one of the five best players in the Big Ten if he decided to come back. Brad Underwood would have a fair chance at coaching him into first-round status a year from now.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
The only part of the CBS article I find questionable is the idea that if Kofi returns we are still not a Top 25 team. Not that it matters in the end, when I think we could be a Top 10 team with Kofi, but it does go to show you that consistency matters, and we were bad for far too long.

The only part of the CBS article I find questionable is the idea that if Kofi returns we are still not a Top 25 team. Not that it matters in the end, when I think we could be a Top 10 team with Kofi, but it does go to show you that consistency matters, and we were bad for far too long.
It would be a stretch to say we are top 10, not without a couple serious additions, certainly on the top 25 bubble though. We've lost 3 of our top 4 PER players (4th being Kofi). That would be a hell of a turn around.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
It would be a stretch to say we are top 10, not without a couple serious additions, certainly on the top 25 bubble though. We've lost 3 of our top 4 PER players (4th being Kofi). That would be a hell of a turn around.

it would be a stretch at the beginning certainly...a huge stretch...but Maryland ended up, what, 12 at the end? I just think Miller and Curbelo will be big additions along with a return Kofi...if he does. Can’t disagree with you outright, just looking at it with the rosy lenses...or orange in this case.

JJB

Chicago, IL
“Contracts next year for players are going to be abysmal, unless you had a guarantee that you had signed from this previous year,” [Aaron] Craft said, referencing clubs’ reeling financials. “I do not envy those players that are having to make these decisions moving forward.”...

“For at least this upcoming season, there will be a lot fewer jobs available because the demand won’t be there,” [Agent Jon] Solomon said, noting the sponsorship money that some European teams depend on may disappear. Unlike in Asia or South America, Solomon sees Europe as being better prepared to eschew pricier American contracts. “When I first started this business 10 years ago, there were a lot more American players getting hired, a lot more jobs available. Now the world has kind of caught up a bit, and Europe is now hiring a lot of guys within, and they’re developing their local players so that they don’t have to pay American players as much or at all … this could make that trend go even faster.”

Fascinating article about how much of a challenge the international route is going to be for anyone that doesn't stick in the NBA next year.

The Ripple Effects of the Basketball Shutdown Reach Americans Abroad

Better questions for 0440 are:

1. What is the chance Kofi returns to Play for Illinois Basketball next season?
2. What is the chance Ayo Returns to Play for Illinois Basketball next season?

That way, going to Europe, G league, anywhere else but Illinois etc. are included in the answer.

Better questions for 0440 are:

1. What is the chance Kofi returns to Play for Illinois Basketball next season?
2. What is the chance Ayo Returns to Play for Illinois Basketball next season?

That way, going to Europe, G league, anywhere else but Illinois etc. are included in the answer.
Man I was always bad at math.....I will say that as of right now for them it’s NBA or nothing. Kofi us received his feedback and it wasn’t great. 99% chance he’s back right now. If Ayo gets any indication he is being taken in the second round he’s going. Not being able to workout for teams and not having the tourney really hurt him. 25-35% chance he returns.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I'm not doing cartwheels until he tells us "and he's returning to the Illini program...."

642214059d99f7dd090cb72b6fe5f11a.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.