3/3 Games

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Stanford, CA
I'll kick off this thread since I don't see one yet.

Iowa @ Indiana - 6 PM, ESPN

Maryland @ Rutgers - 6 PM, BTN

Michigan @ Northwestern - 8 PM, BTN

As far as B1G tournament scenarios go that impact us, Maryland obviously just needs to win to stay alive for the 1 seed but would still need UW to lose out.

Iowa-IU has more implications for our chance at a 7 seed. If IU loses, we can get the 7 seed if we win out and they lose their last game. That's the simple scenario and the most likely, since it only requires 3 games after today (our 2 wins, IU 1 more loss). If IU wins, there are still a couple of scenarios where we can get the 7 seed, but they require that either OSU/MSU/Iowa all lose out (7 more games total), or MSU loses out and both OSU/Iowa go 1-1 (also 7 more games total). Needless to say, banking on 7 games to break a certain way is a stretch, but 3 isn't. So if you really don't like the 8/9 game, cheer for Iowa.

Logan Square, Chicago

As far as B1G tournament scenarios go that impact us, Maryland obviously just needs to win to stay alive for the 1 seed but would still need UW to lose out.

Iowa-IU has more implications for our chance at a 7 seed. If IU loses, we can get the 7 seed if we win out and they lose their last game. That's the simple scenario and the most likely, since it only requires 3 games after today (our 2 wins, IU 1 more loss). If IU wins, there are still a couple of scenarios where we can get the 7 seed, but they require that either OSU/MSU/Iowa all lose out (7 more games total), or MSU loses out and both OSU/Iowa go 1-1 (also 7 more games total). Needless to say, banking on 7 games to break a certain way is a stretch, but 3 isn't. So if you really don't like the 8/9 game, cheer for Iowa.
Hmmm...still hard for me to not root against Iowa.

New York
Hmmm...still hard for me to not root against Iowa.
against Indiana???

Just pinch your nose and remember that you're not rooting for Iowa, you're rooting against Indiana. And you have no idea who that other team is

New York
Other games of interest, rooting for team in bold.

NC State at Clemson - NC State currently ahead of us on bubble.
TAMU at Florida - TAMU currently ahead of us on bubble; Florida is very much on wrong side of bubble. A win over TAMU at home won't move them ahead of us.
Auburn at Mizzou - minor impact on our RPI
Nova at Creighton - minor impact on our RPI

From Palm (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...2/daily-bubble-nc-state-texas-am-hit-the-road)

North Carolina State at Clemson, 9 p.m.: The Wolfpack have had mixed results on the road lately, beating Louisville and North Carolina but losing to Wake Forest and Boston College. At 17-12 overall, NC State cannot afford any kind of slump.

Texas A&M at Florida, 9 p.m. (ESPNU): The Aggies have taken advantage of a relatively weak conference schedule to move to third place in the SEC. One of the reasons they have done so well is that they have beaten the teams they are supposed to beat. This is one of those teams, even on the road.

New York

In terms of rooting interests apart from BTT concerns, for sure Maryland over Rutgers to preserve the value of our win.

I'd go NW over Michigan - if NW can beat Michigan and Iowa in its last two games, they can potentially climb into top 100 RPI, which will help our resume by balancing out our record against top 100 RPI. NW currently around 113. Michigan at 79. If Michigan drops to NW and then beats Rutgers, they stay in top 100. Our current top 100 RPI record is 5-10, a real weak point in our resume at a glance. Could use an extra two wins there.

Atlantic Sun, Patriot and the Horizon tournaments kick off tonight. The madness is here

Atlantic Sun, Patriot and the Horizon tournaments kick off tonight. The madness is here
The Atlantic Sun and Patriot leagues play all games on campuses, with the higher seeded team always getting to host. There are others that do this as well.

Odder yet, the Horizon has the first games and the last game played at the higher seed team, but the middle rounds they come together at a host school; this year Valpo. I'm a bit baffled by that configuration.

Stanford, CA
In terms of rooting interests apart from BTT concerns, for sure Maryland over Rutgers to preserve the value of our win.

I'd go NW over Michigan - if NW can beat Michigan and Iowa in its last two games, they can potentially climb into top 100 RPI, which will help our resume by balancing out our record against top 100 RPI. NW currently around 113. Michigan at 79. If Michigan drops to NW and then beats Rutgers, they stay in top 100. Our current top 100 RPI record is 5-10, a real weak point in our resume at a glance. Could use an extra two wins there.
Good point. Can anyone confirm that Northwestern winning out would put them in the top 100? Is there an RPI scenario generator?

Little Rock, Arkansas
I was shown this website a couple weeks ago.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/Northwestern.html

I would post the results of projecting NW winning out but it won't work for me. danielb, maybe it will work for you? If it does could you post what their RPI would be with winning out or, if they lose to Iowa, what it would take in the BTT to get them better than 100? Thanks man!

The Atlantic Sun and Patriot leagues play all games on campuses, with the higher seeded team always getting to host. There are others that do this as well.

Odder yet, the Horizon has the first games and the last game played at the higher seed team, but the middle rounds they come together at a host school; this year Valpo. I'm a bit baffled by that configuration.
Horizon also gives a double bye in an 8 team league. I kind of like that.

With wins over Iowa and Michigan...RPI 103
Iowa, Michigan, Rutgers...103
Iowa, Michigan, Rutgers, Ohio State...92

Last edited:
New York
kind of early to be doing such exact predictions just bc who knows what other teams around 100 do, if nothign else, but it shows that wins over Michigan and Iowa def get them close.

Little Rock, Arkansas
On a different part of their site they have predictions for what an RPI will be depending on how a team finishes. It shows NW having a sub 100 RPI if it wins out. Odd that it doesn't show that when you do the calculations yourself.

Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 3.57.12 PM.png

Stanford, CA
With wins over Iowa and Michigan...RPI 103
Iowa, Michigan, Rutgers...103
Iowa, Michigan, Rutgers, Ohio State...92
For good measure:

Iowa, Michigan, Rutgers, loss to OSU - 103 again.

Champaign
So we've become huge Hawkeye fans for tonight, right?

Bloomington
The score really doesn't reflect how the game has gone, Iowa should be up by a lot more.
Which concerns me. We all know the trademark IU 3pt barrage is coming, and I'm afraid Iowa didn't give themselves enough breathing room.