3/3 Games

northbrook, il
To me this is why college buckets is better than any other sport. You just don't have that many games coming down to the last minute night in and night out.

Wow. I switched to Kansas vs WV thinking NU had lost.

I think you guys are looking into it too much (the posters talking about NW/Mich being over 100rpi). I am hoping that the committee looks more in depth than simply 1-25, 25-50, 50-100, 100+ rpi ranges. Because let's say NW gets in the top 100...that makes a huge difference when you're just looking at the 50-100 range wins/losses. But if you look at it as 2 wins vs 102rpi or 98rpi...that is basically nothing. At least, that's how I hope the committee would look at it..especially when comparing 2 bubble teams head to head.

New York
I think you guys are looking into it too much (the posters talking about NW/Mich being over 100rpi). I am hoping that the committee looks more in depth than simply 1-25, 25-50, 50-100, 100+ rpi ranges. Because let's say NW gets in the top 100...that makes a huge difference when you're just looking at the 50-100 range wins/losses. But if you look at it as 2 wins vs 102rpi or 98rpi...that is basically nothing. At least, that's how I hope the committee would look at it..especially when comparing 2 bubble teams head to head.

Pretty sure some voters will look at it more sensibly and some more rigidly. But it's a data point and we've already heard ppl say they're leaving us out of brackets because of our weak record top 100. Lots of data out there, these ppl need shortcuts

Looks like Wednesday bubble games we care about (outside of Big 10) (the bubble teams are the 9 to 12 seed at-large teams and first 6 out from the bracket matrix):

LSU v. Tennessee (Tennessee win)
Oklahoma State v. TCU (TCU win)
Colorado State v. Nevada (Nevada win)
Oregon v. Oregon State (Oregon State win)
Cincinnati v. Tulsa (both bubble teams - I think we'd prefer a Tulsa win because they play SMU Sunday and will hopefully lose to them)
Boise State v. San Jose (San Jose win)
UCLA v. USC (USC win)
Pitt v. Miami (FL) (doesn't really matter, both are bubble, but I think we prefer Miami FL win)

Pretty sure some voters will look at it more sensibly and some more rigidly. But it's a data point and we've already heard ppl say they're leaving us out of brackets because of our weak record top 100. Lots of data out there, these ppl need shortcuts
Well 5-10 does sound somewhat bad. Hopefully it's 7-10 after we play Purdue. I'm curious to how the committee will view us when Rice was hurt. We had some good games, but we also had our worst loss when he was out. If Rice continues to show his dominance now that he's healthy, I'm sure it will influence some voters to view us more favorably.

New York
Well 5-10 does sound somewhat bad. Hopefully it's 7-10 after we play Purdue. I'm curious to how the committee will view us when Rice was hurt. We had some good games, but we also had our worst loss when he was out. If Rice continues to show his dominance now that he's healthy, I'm sure it will influence some voters to view us more favorably.
I think it's really about the finish here. Tay and J were saying yesterday that we're a team that still hasn't found its identity, largely because we've had shifting personnel all year. That's something the committee will be aware of, so it's especially important that we finish strong when we have our full complement of players who will be playing for us in the tourney. To date, ESPN BPI indicates no real difference between us playing with or without Rice, but because of all the disruptions in our team, I think that the committee will pay real attention to how we've done since Ray came back. Not sure that puts us in good stead because since he came back we're 2-3, and our two wins consist of a last minute comeback against Michigan at home and a game against NW. Nebraska's not good either, so tonight's a must but doesn't provide us much huge upside to show committee how well we're playing right now. Assuming we handle Nebraska tonight, that @ Purdue game could not be bigger.

New York
I turned it off to go run an experiment with UM up 5 and 15 seconds to go, or whatever it was. That's a pretty wild finish.
I turned the game off twice! Once in regulation and then again in the first OT

First time I turned off was about 15 seconds left in regulation when NW was down 3 and McIntosh turned the ball over. Irvin was going to the line and had hit 4 in a row. Seemed safe to turn off. Irvin missed the front end of a 1 and 1, and Demps hit a 3 to tie with 4 seconds left. Bielfeldt actually then turned the ball over giving NW a chance to win. I tuned in at this pt and saw Demps miss a shot to win at the buzzer.

NW went up 5 in OT, only to go *down* 5 (11-1 Michigan run). I turned the game off again when Cobb missed a 3 with NW down 5 and about 15 seconds left. I was more patient in OT, but I figured down 5, 15 seconds left, with Albrecht going to the line, game was more than 100% over. I check score a couple minutes later on my phone and see it's 71-68 after Albrecht made one FT and Demps made a 3. I turn game back and see Albrecht commit a turnover and Demps make another game tying 3. Ridiculous.

The second OT was exciting too. It was still in doubt with about 20 seconds to go.