35th anniversary of Bobby Knight's chair toss

jmilt7

Waukegan
He was just feted at Indiana a couple weeks ago. First time back since he was fired. So beloved at Indiana so hated everywhere else. I know part of that was his winning a ton of games but I think you can be a coach and not be hated by fans of other teams. I think most people don't hate Izzo as they did Knight.
I don't suppose the chair tossing incident was included in the video highlights.

So beloved at Indiana so hated everywhere else. I know part of that was his winning a ton of games but I think you can be a coach and not be hated by fans of other teams.

It was SO much more than that. It was his degradation of people. It was his rape comments. It was his outlook that he was just better. This man was/is a garbage human being.

Last edited:
"Well, just absolutely sickening, unbelievable. The 40 years I’m on TV, I haven’t seen anything like that, unless you go to the NBA and the Pistons’ brawl that took place at the Palace. I think there’s no doubt in my mind that De Sousa never, ever should put a uniform on in college basketball again. He’s holding a chair. I mean, that’s criminal! He’s going to hurt somebody!"

- Dick Vitale not on the General Robert Montgomery Knight

Or the Pistons-Bulls brawl at the old stadium. Mahorn, Rodman, Pippen, Collins and Laimbeer.
When will dickie v retire?

"Well, just absolutely sickening, unbelievable. The 40 years I’m on TV, I haven’t seen anything like that, unless you go to the NBA and the Pistons’ brawl that took place at the Palace. I think there’s no doubt in my mind that De Sousa never, ever should put a uniform on in college basketball again. He’s holding a chair. I mean, that’s criminal! He’s going to hurt somebody!"

- Dick Vitale not on the General Robert Montgomery Knight
It may have been criminal of not for Jerrance Howard snatching the chair out of his hands.

I met Dickie years ago at Doyle's at the Chancellor Hotel in the 80s . He was actually pretty cool . My friend had on a UNLV jacket and he said something to us not the other way around! lol

He's the third winningest NCAA head coach of all time. Mike Krzyzewski built a tradition of excellence after learning the ropes under him as an assistant. And, for better or worse, he paved the way for our modern political arena. And throwing a chair is not even close to the worst thing he ever did. And that's if you don't count any of the outrageous things he said.

I like Bob Knight. I can tell I'm in the minority, but let me explain. He's old school. Here is my favorite Bob Knight quote:
I’m all for men having long hair, wearing earrings, and dressing flamboyantly. Yessiree...dress however you feel most comfortable and act according to your impulses. Unless you want to play basketball at the University of Indiana...here we’re doing my thing.

Times have changed. Knight never did.