AD Mike Thomas out at Illinois (Beckman report released)

Wilmette, IL
Now Groce HAS to make the tourney of he's out the door.
I think Groce is safe for next season. New AD will have enough on his/her plate with the head football coach search, the lawsuits, etc. Unless he/she absolutely NEEDS to fire Groce, I think JG gets a pass, and then is in the potential crosshairs if 2016-17 goes poorly.

Tyngsborough, MA
Chris Kingston is the AD at Bowling Green. :)

I think Groce is safe for next season. New AD will have enough on his/her plate with the head football coach search, the lawsuits, etc. Unless he/she absolutely NEEDS to fire Groce, I think JG gets a pass, and then is in the potential crosshairs if 2016-17 goes poorly.
It depends on what happens on the court this season. I think if he misses the NCAA he'll be shown the door. Perfect excuse for the new AD to make a change.

On a side note, I wonder if Mack Rhoades from Mizzou would be interested in making a switch.

Deeeeeee for ADeeeeeeeee. But seriously, while I celebrate that Thomas is gone, I can't imagine getting very excited about the new hire, unless some type of unbelievable coup (+$$$$$) happens and we are able to steal a guy like Jeff Long. This is Illinois, I am preparing myself for a very underwhelming hire.

I would take Tressel...but there is no way that he is leaving the YSU president gig, for anything less than like an O$U president gig.

So how does this work? Board President involved? Prominent alums? I would assume they have a battle plan for AD and football coach then.
Ha - this one made me laugh. What in the last 10 years has made you feel like anyone knows what they are doing with respect to our school?

Chief Forever
Birmingham, AL
The dumpster fire that is Illinois athletics continues unabated!

Agreed. There's just too much to replace as is that I don't think they would also replace one of the fews likeable coach that we have. If the season is a complete disaster then maybe, but I don't see it happening. They need some stability in one of the major sports.
Totally agree. Unless the basketball season turns into a disaster Groce will most likely get another year. Football, & women's basketball will be the first priorities after a new AD is hired. Recruiting could certainly be hurt though.

Last edited:
Tyngsborough, MA
Ha - this one made me laugh. What in the last 10 years has made you feel like anyone knows what they are doing with respect to our school?
buahahahahahahahahahahaha

Deeeeeee for ADeeeeeeeee. But seriously, while I celebrate that Thomas is gone, I can't imagine getting very excited about the new hire, unless some type of unbelievable coup (+$$$$$) happens and we are able to steal a guy like Jeff Long. This is Illinois, I am preparing myself for a very underwhelming hire.

I would take Tressel...but there is no way that he is leaving the YSU president gig, for anything less than like an O$U president gig.
Why do people talk about the President job at YSU as if its some sort of impressive gig that would be impossible to ever leave? The dude has a show cause finding hanging over his head. It means work in TV, be the greeter at the Columbus Walmart, or be the president of a D3 school.

St. Louis, MO
Does anyone think Paul Kowalczyk could just keep the job? He's got a decent resume and he's already on campus. With the urgency of the football job and SFC renovations, maybe he's the answer?

Dallas-Fort Worth
I hope the first call the administration makes is to Jerry Colangelo. He would be perfect to head up the search committee.

I can't imagine getting very excited about the new hire, unless some type of unbelievable coup (+$$$$$) happens and we are able to steal a guy like Jeff Long. This is Illinois, I am preparing myself for a very underwhelming hire.
An AD hire is not like a coaching hire. We're not looking to "steal" some big-status person from another school. We need someone who can get our donors all marching to the same tune. The failure to make a big happy family out of the moneyed interests, not Tim Beckman's abuse, is what ousted Thomas. A big, outsider personality might not be what the doctor has ordered here.

anybody who directly reported to Mike Thomas cannot be considered for the permananet position. either he knew how players were being treated or his assistewnts knew and didnt tell him. either way, a new AD means a new staff.

Florida
Not sure how to feel about this. Interim Chancellor, Interim Head Coach and now Interim AD. Boy we sure look good to recruits

anybody who directly reported to Mike Thomas cannot be considered for the permananet position. either he knew how players were being treated or his assistewnts knew and didnt tell him. either way, a new AD means a new staff.
Read the report. Thomas intervened frequently when information was reported to him.

And while all of the football coaches are very much one unit, someone like Tom Michael, whose job was entirely limited to the SFC process, has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

Why do people talk about the President job at YSU as if its some sort of impressive gig that would be impossible to ever leave? The dude has a show cause finding hanging over his head. It means work in TV, be the greeter at the Columbus Walmart, or be the president of a D3 school.
Only 1 year left on the show cause, and it's hard to know whether it would have much effect on him having an administration position anyway. It might bring hard sanctions upon the university if he screws up while in charge again, but that's basically a worst case scenario.

Also, considering a lot of the scandals, looking back now a freaking autograph for tattoos scandals looks like a hilariously dumb reason to hit a university and coach with vacated wins and a show clause.