Alan Griffin suspended 2 games

jmilt7

Waukegan
I just read through all the posts here and one thing I wonder about is how consistently will the B1G apply their rules to future incidents such as these. I am not overly confident that they will. I think they overreacted due to the KU/KSU brawl. And since this AG incident and similar ones are pretty rare, they will kind of "forget" how they treated AG and go back to being more realistic, that is, something like this will warrant a one game suspension, if that.

The argument to the length of this is fine, but it is what it is and Griffin has put his team in a hole.

Yes the boys ralied and played tremendous in the second half at Mackey but I think that is coloring the on court pain this may cause us. Griffin has been an energizer bunny all year. Crazy active on the boards and for loose balls. He is a top 3 factor for about the last ten games. others being Frazier taking the ball possession over and Ayo raising his game late. Michigan is in a world of hurt and at home. Wounded dog situation here and I wish we had that extra bench effort he gives us. I think his actions could result in a downswing here. I'm hoping that Kipper can fill the greater role with what he brings, but what he brings is different then what AG brings. rotation is going be shorter also because Jones is looking like a newborn deer out on the court. May find a way to sprint but certainly looks unsure of himself. Big stretch for the bench minutes shuffle, Underwood is gonna have to work some magic.

I just read through all the posts here and one thing I wonder about is how consistently will the B1G apply their rules to future incidents such as these. I am not overly confident that they will. I think they overreacted due to the KU/KSU brawl. And since this AG incident and similar ones are pretty rare, they will kind of "forget" how they treated AG and go back to being more realistic, that is, something like this will warrant a one game suspension, if that.
Really wondering how they are going to deal with an elbow to the face that causes an injury? Or undercutting a man on a layup? Tough to judge intent.

Dan

Admin
Brad Underwood said he did not have any communication with the league office prior to Alan Griffin’s suspension being announced. Said the program didn’t hear anything about it being a possibility on Wednesday, which is what he was referencing with the timing aspect.

By not getting word of a suspension or a possible suspension on Wednesday, the program did not expect any action to be taken.

https://twitter.com/DPiper247

Im guessing the B10 told the university they would be weighing in....probably the day after....and thus BU and JW didn't have much to say....waiting to see what conference would do......best thing now is for BU and JW to totally agree with and support the suspension....get ready for MU
I agree with Wood, two games is excessive, see Diamond Stone's 1 game suspension for far more injurious conduct, but we move on.

Brad Underwood said he did not have any communication with the league office prior to Alan Griffin’s suspension being announced. Said the program didn’t hear anything about it being a possibility on Wednesday, which is what he was referencing with the timing aspect.

By not getting word of a suspension or a possible suspension on Wednesday, the program did not expect any action to be taken.

https://twitter.com/DPiper247

This is why Underwood was/ has every right to be upset. He's out here trying to game plan for a game Saturday and the Big Ten is just sitting on their hands for 2 days until they late Thursday afternoon out of nowhere decide to suspend a key role player for 2 games.

So stupid. Just make a special Big Ten punishment for flagrant 2 fouls be the subject game and 2 more, or just follow the rules of NCAA and make him sit the subject game. The waiting days to announce "oh by the way, since you had no reason to suspect this, we're suspending him longer based on no precedent"

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
The AG suspension is absolutely in part an overreaction in response to the KU-KSU brawl. That's bad precedent. AG's punishment shouldn't be impacted by the misconduct of other players (outside of the conference).

Should have been a one-game suspension. Should have been announced the next day. I have no problem with BU's statement.

This was effectively a 2.5-3 game suspension. He deserved the F2 and getting the boot. I felt that one game was warranted. 2 seems a little excessive. I think maybe i'm still in Football mode and was thinking it might be adjusted based on timing (think: targeting ejection in the 1st half vs the 2nd).

My only REAL issue with 2 is that someone from the KU-KSU brawl got 2. How is stepping on a guy equivalent to being in a melee? I know, different conference and all. Just seems little unbalanced.

This was effectively a 2.5-3 game suspension. He deserved the F2 and getting the boot. I felt that one game was warranted. 2 seems a little excessive. I think maybe i'm still in Football mode and was thinking it might be adjusted based on timing (think: targeting ejection in the 1st half vs the 2nd).

My only REAL issue with 2 is that someone from the KU-KSU brawl got 2. How is stepping on a guy equivalent to being in a melee? I know, different conference and all. Just seems little unbalanced.

I agree on the suspension on the football analogy. 4 halves suspension, so he would be available 2nd half of game after Michigan.

On the comparision to the KU-KSU suspensions, it is being handed down by two different conferences. But they involved more than just players, they went into the crowd and the disability seating area.

I hope Griffin learns from this. I hope Illinois Basketball continues to improve without any more hiccups/ half step backs. The team showed a lot of resolve and should be commended. I...L...L...

Lucas Johnson is somewhere chuckling about how tame Alan's play was....

haha, for sure.

I remember Lucas and Brian Cardinal essentially wrestling the entire length of the back court, which led to Cardinal getting booed the rest of the game.

This is why Underwood was/ has every right to be upset. He's out here trying to game plan for a game Saturday and the Big Ten is just sitting on their hands for 2 days until they late Thursday afternoon out of nowhere decide to suspend a key role player for 2 games.

So stupid. Just make a special Big Ten punishment for flagrant 2 fouls be the subject game and 2 more, or just follow the rules of NCAA and make him sit the subject game. The waiting days to announce "oh by the way, since you had no reason to suspect this, we're suspending him longer based on no precedent"

I understand why everyone would want a quicker decision on something like this, but Underwood probably knew all along that Griffin was probably going to be suspended for at least one game.

I understand why everyone would want a quicker decision on something like this, but Underwood probably knew all along that Griffin was probably going to be suspended for at least one game.

That doesn't seem to lineup with what he told the media today.

That doesn't seem to lineup with what he told the media today.
Yeah, Underwood negated that thought entirely. Seems to be a focus of his complaint. Although he would not comment on his thoughts on the severity of the punishment at the presser, he already did so in the earlier statement. No fines that way. But I think he is not in agreement still with how it was handled or the result.

Last edited: