Alan Griffin suspended 2 games

You have a new commish and Alan was his first disciplinary matter. He wants to set a tone. Understandable.

It is not lost on old timers like myself that Robert Archibald did the same thing with premeditation (he looked left and right to make sure the officials heads were turned) before stepping on the Indiana player. Pre instant replay. 2002 I believe.

This seems appropriate. I wonder if the Big Ten's response about what could have resulted was impacted a bit by the Kansas vs. Kansas St. brawl on the same night.
My thoughts too. And good for the league. I'd have done just one, especially in light of missing most of the Purdue game. But this sends a message to the league to watch the cheap shots.

I simply didn't see it that way. He totally pushed off towards the other end of the court off of his chest in my view.
You're 100% right. Plain and simple, it was a dumb thing to do, the intent was malicious and it definitely could have escalated into more. Thankfully it didn't.

Moving on.

It's worth noting, that because the team won the game in such convincing fashion, that this doesn't bother us as much. They did that with Griffin. Why can't they handle a slumping Michigan team and a middling Minnesota team? (in theory)

Last edited:
Me too.

Seems to be the consensus around here. Anyone disagree? Think it was too light or too severe?

The “holding guys accountable” is the Flagrant 2 penalty, which is just getting kicked out of the game.

I just can’t see how stepping (not stomping or trying to injure) on a guy, immediately accepting the flagrant, not fighting it in anyway, and apologizing to the guy should result someone missing basically 15% of the big ten schedule. It’s insane,

This is pretty ridiculous. One of the 4 players involved in an end of game brawl only got suspended two games. Griffin will miss essentially 3.
Not a flagrant 2, but a flagrant 1 by Diamond Stone back in 2016 resulted in a 1 game suspension by Maryland which the Big Ten deemed sufficient.
"Stone appeared to tackle Brown underneath the basket before dribbling his head and forcing a small melee. Stone was given a dead-ball technical foul (but not a flagrant 2) and remained in the game. Officials said because the shove was made with an open hand, rather than a fist, it did not bring an ejection."
"Stone pushed Wisconsin forward Vitto Brown’s head into the floor and was only given a technical foul rather than a flagrant-2 foul."

Video wouldn't play on your link, Found this

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/20...stone-slams-vitto-browns-head-into-the-ground

Yeah, Stone's was way worse than Alan's, so I think that helps prove the effect of the KU-KSU black eye for college basketball. Still a stupid move on Alan's part. Forgot the Big Brother-Big Ten, I like that Underwood told him to get to the locker room on the spot, made it clear to him that would not defend him.
But, I got no problem with this as a new standard (even though I think tossing him at the start of the game was probably enough in this case) . . . so long as the Big Ten is consistent going forward, regardless of the player. I think the Big Ten office will decide it overreacted when the calls for suspensions come from games going forward. But they have a standard by which to judge further issues. Looks to me like almost every flagrant 2 will almost require a suspension.
And maybe we should look a little closer at the "accidental" nature of the elbow shot to Tre's solar plexus by Eastern in that game. . No excuse for Alan's stupidity, I just want to see the "new" emphasis equally applied.
The rest of this season may get pretty chippy about these types of things. I think it will come up again.

DJRichardson4threee

IlliniGator2011
Chicago, IL
I’ll be honest, I was not shocked when this happened. I love him as a player, and I hope he gets his act together, but this isn’t the first time he does something of this nature (not as bad as this, but still unnecessary contact). I wonder if his history had anything to do with the length of the suspension. If you recall he had that shoulder bump which wasn’t that bad, but definitely unnecessary and intentional, against Miami, and if I remember correctly he gave someone a nut tap, I think against Mizzou.

Has there been any other flagrant 2 fouls in the Big Ten since they changed the flagrant rules? Stone’s linked above was clearly worse, and he got a game (after not getting kicked out of the subject game)

Like somebody said earlier, is anyone pretending that if Cassius Winston had stepped on a guy and got kicked out 5 minutes into a game, there would be this same penalty? We’d be laughing in a sarcastic way if the Big Ten even said they were going to look at it further, because there’s a 0% chance he’d get 2 games.

Bailey

Los Angeles
I’ll be honest, I was not shocked when this happened. I love him as a player, and I hope he gets his act together, but this isn’t the first time he does something of this nature (not as bad as this, but still unnecessary contact). I wonder if his history had anything to do with the length of the suspension. If you recall he had that shoulder bump which wasn’t that bad, but definitely unnecessary and intentional, against Miami, and if I remember correctly he gave someone a nut tap, I think against Mizzou.
He's competitive. He gets caught up in the moment. Just needs to learn how to channel that energy. Happens with lots of young guys. It's part of maturing.

You have a new commish and Alan was his first disciplinary matter. He wants to set a tone. Understandable.

It is not lost on old timers like myself that Robert Archibald did the same thing with premeditation (he looked left and right to make sure the officials heads were turned) before stepping on the Indiana player. Pre instant replay. 2002 I believe.
Pandora's box, lots of stuff happens that isn't quite as obvious and camera centric. But people will start paying more attention and getting more vocal. Now the Commissioner has set his standard, and I personally think under the circumstances it a little excessive (reaction to KU/KSU), just not well thought out for what may happen going forward. And think about when it happens to players with upcoming games that really matter, not relatively early in the season with at least one of the games that should be won anyway. 2 games later in the season (effectively 3) with teams jockeying, will be a greater outcry and evaluation No excuse for Alan.

Last edited:

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
1 game; 2 games. Little difference between the two. Now means DMW will get an extra 10-12 minutes per game. Extrapolating the 0.0 points he's been averaging of late, it will provide a nice offensive boost. Free Tevian.

(Seriously, DaMonte might now explode for 12-13 pts vs. Michigan.)

DJRichardson4threee

IlliniGator2011
Chicago, IL
He's competitive. He gets caught up in the moment. Just needs to learn how to channel that energy. Happens with lots of young guys. It's part of maturing.
I agree, I’m not suggesting he’s a thug or anything like that, just want him to control those competitive instincts or whatever it was that led him to do these dumb things. He needs to direct all of his competitive energy into the game.

1 game; 2 games. Little difference between the two. Now means DMW will get an extra 10-12 minutes per game. Extrapolating the 0.0 points he's been averaging of late, it will provide a nice offensive boost. Free Tevian.

He's struggling mightily when he's actually on the court. Illinois doesn't have the luxury of allowing him to play through it, he must be benched when he plays the way he has been.

Does anyone else think that if the coaching staff would have suspended him immediately that the big ten would not have stepped in? perhaps they were waiting for Brad to do something about it and when he didn't they stepped in.

I was hoping for one game, but two games is fair, and I think we should win both games without him anyway.

Thought 1 game would have been enough...but given the KU-KSU situation....the B10 Commish wanted to make it clear to everyone they take this very seriously, thus the 2 games.....each flagrant 2 will be judged separately according to circumstances...the term "a basketball play"....or...."retaliatory action" I think will be applied in these cases....the foul AG committed was not a basketball play and it was clearly an intentional retaliatory action...imho

Thought he had turned the corner with the nonsense, but I guess not. Hope he learns this time.

Does anyone else think that if the coaching staff would have suspended him immediately that the big ten would not have stepped in? perhaps they were waiting for Brad to do something about it and when he didn't they stepped in.

I was hoping for one game, but two games is fair, and I think we should win both games without him anyway.

Im guessing the B10 told the university they would be weighing in....probably the day after....and thus BU and JW didn't have much to say....waiting to see what conference would do......best thing now is for BU and JW to totally agree with and support the suspension....get ready for MU

The type of explosion you mention for DMW is exactly what another team pulls off against us.

If DMW actually did that it would essentially be a hex reversal the likes of which Illinois athletics has never seen.