Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse

I wish it were a joke.
It is disappointing cause his dad is an assistant coach in the NBA along with being a former stud college player and solid NBA vet. Whether they are divorced or not, you would think she would listen to Alan's dad on this. Also, especially since his dad seems to be a classy former pro amd assistant coach. Oh well, but best of luck to Alan. Your energy, shooting, and rebounding will be missed. You have a chance to be very good at current level if you focus on d.

Torvik certainly has not downplayed the loss of Griffin. Taking Alan out of the equation, Torvik now has us finishing 10th in the BIG next year.Clearly points out the need for an immediate impact grad transfer.

Did anyone think he had a shot at the NBA before he got here? You'd think he would stay with the coaching staff that helped him even bring that into the equation

We were his best offer by a pretty wide margin, but players develop at different rates. I remember some posters (who I remember as being more "in the know") being excited about his potential, while a few speculated it was just to get an in on his brother.

Deleted member 8896

D
Did anyone think he had a shot at the NBA before he got here? You'd think he would stay with the coaching staff that helped him even bring that into the equation
He doesn’t have a shot at the NBA, here or anywhere else.

I don't understand how anyone can think he won't be missed. I also don't understand the statements portraying as a terrible defender; I think that's been exaggerated., and not at all supported by the numbers (which I recognize don't necessarily tell the same story as the tape). I also don't understand the few comments acting like he doesn't have pro potential.

In my personal opinion, I think he was projecting to be one of our top 3 players next year; Alan, Kofi, and Trent or one of the freshman.

Here are some metrics for perspective (only considering players who played more than 3 minutes per game:
PER - 1st (26.2) (Player efficiency rating - the primary advanced stat)
TS% - 1st (.691) (True shooting %)
eFG% - 1st (Effective Field Goal %)
PProd - 5th (Points produced)
PProd/min - 3rd (Points produced per min)
ORB% - 2nd
DRB% - 2nd
TRB% - 2nd
AST% - 7th
STL% - 6th
BLK% - 4th
TOV% - 2nd (meaning 2nd fewest turnovers per 100 plays - Trent was 1st)
USG% - 4th (2nd behind Kofi of returning players)
WS/40 - 1st (Win Shares per 40 minutes - another primary advanced stat)
OBPM - 1st (Offensive Box Plus Minus)
DBPM - 1st (Defensive Box Plus Minus)
BPM - 1st (Box Plus Minus)

You can't take those numbers, and dismiss his contributions. Alan was a great great player for this team, and is going to be missed. I think the team will be fine, but I don't care if we get Kahlil, or Fitts, or anyone else. Alan was one of the best players, and will be missed.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/illinois/2020.html

I wonder if Alan Griffin will play the hostile environment card so as to be eligible immediately. Certainly the precedent has been set.

This cannot be about just playing time. If he can't see that he was going to see a lot more minutes next year and the year after, he's blind. I mean, seriously, if he can't see how playing with Kofi opened up his shots and lanes to the hoop this year and it will only get better for him... sigh.. well, I'll miss him in Illini uniform.

Deleted member 8896

D
this is just flat out wrong
Before basketball was stopped I averaged watching over 50 NBA games a year. I like Alan & wish him the best of luck, but unless he improved way beyond the path he was on it wasn’t going to happen. So many “all this & all that “ college players don’t even come close. A lot have the physical ability but the mental aspect is where most fail. Ability to cope with the travel, the work ethic, and the discipline needed to succeed is harder than you think

Monte's shooting did improve toward the end of the season. He just needs more confidence shooting it. He certainly doesn't force any shots. I think AG had doubts about being able to start on this team.
I don't think that AG had any doubts at all about "being able to start". His doubts may have been concerned with how BU felt and what role that BU may have wanted him to play.

I wonder if Alan Griffin will play the hostile environment card so as to be eligible immediately. Certainly the precedent has been set.
I’m guessing he’s banking on new transfer rules... I’ll be surprised and saddened if he goes the hostile environment route, unless he chooses Rutgers and is anticipating coming back to the SFC.

Illini_1979

Oregon
I don't understand how anyone can think he won't be missed. I also don't understand the statements portraying as a terrible defender; I think that's been exaggerated., and not at all supported by the numbers (which I recognize don't necessarily tell the same story as the tape). I also don't understand the few comments acting like he doesn't have pro potential.

In my personal opinion, I think he was projecting to be one of our top 3 players next year; Alan, Kofi, and Trent or one of the freshman.

Here are some metrics for perspective (only considering players who played more than 3 minutes per game:
PER - 1st (26.2) (Player efficiency rating - the primary advanced stat)
TS% - 1st (.691) (True shooting %)
eFG% - 1st (Effective Field Goal %)
PProd - 5th (Points produced)
PProd/min - 3rd (Points produced per min)
ORB% - 2nd
DRB% - 2nd
TRB% - 2nd
AST% - 7th
STL% - 6th
BLK% - 4th
TOV% - 2nd (meaning 2nd fewest turnovers per 100 plays - Trent was 1st)
USG% - 4th (2nd behind Kofi of returning players)
WS/40 - 1st (Win Shares per 40 minutes - another primary advanced stat)
BPM - 1st (Box Plus Minus)

You can't take those numbers, and dismiss his contributions. Alan was a great great player for this team, and is going to be missed. I think the team will be fine, but I don't care if we get Kahlil, or Fitts, or anyone else. Alan was one of the best players, and will be missed.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/illinois/2020.html
Quit trying to confuse us with facts. ;)

Before basketball was stopped I averaged watching over 50 NBA games a year. I like Alan & wish him the best of luck, but unless he improved way beyond the path he was on it wasn’t going to happen. So many “all this & all that “ college players don’t even come close. A lot have the physical ability but the mental aspect is where most fail. Ability to cope with the travel, the work ethic, and the discipline needed to succeed is harder than you think
Would you have considered Kendrick Nunn an NBA player in his sophomore season at Illinois?

I'm right there with you that Alan's statistical profile + on the court play points to a really valuable player we're losing. But, just so we're working with the facts on all accounts, his DBPM was not the best on the team -- DMW's is nearly 4 times as high and I believe AG actually had the lowest of the remaining top 5. I didn't check all the other stats but the OBPM, BPM, and WS/40 are definitely right.

So is your argument that he doesn't have the mental aspect down to be able to succeed? That seems like an odd thing to claim. If not, what areas are holding him back?

So is your argument that he doesn't have the mental aspect down to be able to succeed? That seems like an odd thing to claim. If not, what areas are holding him back?
A D1 basketball game moves a mile a minute. It’s difficult to process the action in real time. Many really athletic players struggle with slowing things down. Watching Griffin, I thought he dealt with that (as well as Jones). They tended to consistently make mistakes that the elite players do not. If you struggle with that as a wing, playing the point would be out of the question. JMHO.

I'm right there with you that Alan's statistical profile + on the court play points to a really valuable player we're losing. But, just so we're working with the facts on all accounts, his DBPM was not the best on the team -- DMW's is nearly 4 times as high and I believe AG actually had the lowest of the remaining top 5. I didn't check all the other stats but the OBPM, BPM, and WS/40 are definitely right.
You’re correct. I misunderstood that statistic thinking lower number was better for DBPM - fewer points given up. Their explanation for the metric doesn’t state it clearly, BPM = OBPM + DBPM instead of OBPM - DBPM so larger number must be better for both. Thanks for that correction.

In that case Alan has the worst DBPM on the team of rotation players followed by Trent and Ayo.

I stand corrected but my overall sentiment remains unchanged. I still think he was projecting to be one of our best players next year.

Would you have considered Kendrick Nunn an NBA player in his sophomore season at Illinois?
Absolutely not. That is a good point. I think when he hit rock bottom he had the mental strength to go elsewhere & dedicate himself in a fashion he had never done before. I talked to him several times when the G League passed through Dallas & I was very impressed by his mental toughness & maturity. Alan can possibly do it, but not from what I have seen so far.