Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse

Assuming Ayo is gone that’s insane. Underwood has played upperclassman in the past over young players. This hurts.

I’m it’s not hard to see Alan being our best best player next year if ayo leaves.
Hardly...I like AG, he did many good things for us and I wish him well. Tough rebounder. BUT, he would have been a piece next yr, like this year, and he would continue to be a liability on the defensive side. That's the #1 reason he was getting the minutes he got. Best player next year? Not even close.

Good ball player for the Illini. Without him we may likely have lost at Evanston. We had him for two years. Good luck to Alan. I have a feeling the red shirts would
have challenged him for minutes. If Ayo stays , which I doubt but hope he stays, there are a lot of talented players in the portal.

If Ayo leaves, we have lost arguably 2 of our hardest working guys. We will miss that. He could have been a great influence on the freshman. I’m sure we will be fine, but think he could have played a strong role. Best of luck to him.
Underwood mentioned once how no one liked to guard Alan in practice because he always played so hard. That kind of effort elevates an entire team.

Initial reaction:
1585098840137.gif

Then thought trading Alan for Ayo:
1585099095492.gif

They are working on multiple transfers. A couple of them if they came would start.
It's funny. A few years ago I would have been disappointed by this. Now, I feel like this group of coaches is always reloading anyway. I have faith in what they do and they will deal with this and move on. We have a couple of red shirt guys ready to play next year who may be an upgrade. We have 3 studs coming in. We have a great group coming back, and it sounds like other good things are in the works. My bigger concern is this virus and whether there will be college bb next yr.

I for one am really bummed out by this news despite the folks saying there are behind the scenes things happening that are contributing to this decision. He was a product of hard work that BU and the staff put in and of course him. I think he's special. The combo of his hard work and the staff's instruction, he was really poised to make an impression on the national scene. Trent Meacham said he could be the best pro prospect on the team (that included Ayo and Kofi)! I can see a trajectory that takes him there and I for one was looking forward to great things from him next year. He is pure energy and is just a grinder. He did all the little things. Anyways, I'm bummed...I wish this was a joke, but alas...we move on. Good luck AG!

Not enough playing time?
Maybe you should stayed and earned it. Maybe?

Stopped getting suspended and breaking team rules.

Not arguing that he's not good, just that he's Not that upper tier, top 50 good.
There are tons of players underrated that become studs. Junior year Griffin is a dangerous player. I am not comparing him as a player, but more to illustrate that top 50 does not mean everything. For example, DaMonte before injury was top 40 while Alan is top 150. Alan, by himself is more impactful. Also, Steph Curry was not top 300 and one of the best all time. I am not saying Alan is nearly as good as Steph Curry, but I would take Steph Curry over Adam Miller and Curbelo.

Really sucks. One factor in program success is growth within the system over time.

Mark my words. December we'll have posts lamenting how long it is taking Miller to pick up the system and if we only had the third year Griffin we wouldn't have lost in the ACC challenge.
I'll mark those words alright because I think you're wrong. Miller played at Manual, so he's already schooled in ball-you-man, help-side defense. He'll pick-up the system just fine and in any case, Alan was regularly lost on D.

I for one am really bummed out by this news despite the folks saying there are behind the scenes things happening that are contributing to this decision. He was a product of hard work that BU and the staff put in and of course him. I think he's special. The combo of his hard work and the staff's instruction, he was really poised to make an impression on the national scene. Trent Meacham said he could be the best pro prospect on the team (that included Ayo and Kofi)! I can see a trajectory that takes him there and I for one was looking forward to great things from him next year. He is pure energy and is just a grinder. He did all the little things. Anyways, I'm bummed...I wish this was a joke, but alas...we move on. Good luck AG!
Correction, he did all of the little things on the offensive end.

Disagree, you can't be really good only playing well on offense. The game has two sides, so play them both or you aren't really good, unless you're scoring 20+ points a game.
I understand that two sides, but he has potential and did improve as he went along. However, that type of rebounding and his shooting was clutch and consistent. He seemed like he was practically automatic for at least a 3 a game.