Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse

ok, but is he transferring? are we sure @illini0440 didn't just typo?
He has not announced he is transferring but someone on reddit was also saying something about Fitts (for all I know it could be illini0440's reddit acct) so maybe the writing is on the wall there or word is out and he just has not formally announced yet?

He has not announced he is transferring but someone on reddit was also saying something about Fitts (for all I know it could be illini0440's reddit acct) so maybe the writing is on the wall there or word is out and he just has not formally announced yet?
He has not announced.

Any word from Tevian yet? Losing both those guys would leave a gaping hole on the wing. I assume Tevian was looking to transfer BECAUSE Alan would be clearly playing ahead of him...

Tevian leaving or staying doesn't factor into the hole being gaping or not, he was never a stop gap or a plug if you will...his doing more than anything else. Griffin leaving stings yes, but I would bet my beachhouse community (yes i have more than one home there) that our guard/wing set will be something next year.

From previous postings (not sure who at this time), but Coach has raved about Grandison I believe. Place at a mimimum Frazier/Curbelo/Miller/Williams and Grandison in our backcourt....well we will be pretty good off.

Worth mentioning, it would have sucked to see Griffin, Giorgi, Hutcherson, Grandison, maybe Tev, maybe Kofi, probably Miller all leave after the 2022 season. We would have had to start mostly from scratch after losing half the team, and there would be a lot of pressure to have a deep recruiting class that year.

Just pure speculation - maybe we’ll be getting a transfer of our own who will start on the wing next year?

There are none that have immediate eligibility that we seem to have a connection too?

Kahlil Whitney is the player that makes the most sense here....position of need, right amount of ***, athletic wing that BU loves, and also has more than one year left....could he get a hardship or the transfer effect goes in right away? Could he also coax ex teammate Cliff Omoruyi to come aboard as well?

Amauri Hardy doesn't seem to be the fit (Dad and him want to showcase strictly PG position play), Jaden will decide schools independent of older brothers playing somewhere also. Can play immediate.

Landers Nolley is looking for a place to play wing play....would seem to be a fit and BU is on record I believe as wanting players for more than 1 year if via transferring? Prior recruit, position of need.

Elias Valtonen would have 2 years to go, prior recruit though. Will probably play in Finland?

Worth mentioning, it would have sucked to see Griffin, Giorgi, Hutcherson, Grandison, maybe Tev, maybe Kofi, probably Miller all leave after the 2022 season. We would have had to start mostly from scratch after losing half the team, and there would be a lot of pressure to have a deep recruiting class that year.

With momentum going our way and the B1G on the way up as far as perception again....doubtful that a deep class could not be attained.

Tevian leaving or staying doesn't factor into the hole being gaping or not, he was never a stop gap or a plug if you will...his doing more than anything else. Griffin leaving stings yes, but I would bet my beachhouse community (yes i have more than one home there) that our guard/wing set will be something next year.

From previous postings (not sure who at this time), but Coach has raved about Grandison I believe. Place at a mimimum Frazier/Curbelo/Miller/Williams and Grandison in our backcourt....well we will be pretty good off.
For anyone over the age of 25 there is a deep discount on the phrase "coach has raved about.", Especially if it is in regards to practice

Fitts would be a more than even trade as a position of need. Would fill the 4 spot and depth is not there and he would be the starter. Trading Griffin for Whitney is giving up shooting that we can’t afford. Experience for stars doesn’t do it.

Man, this is certainly a bummer. AG could really shoot and his confidence is just growing and growing. As an upperclassman he is going to be handful when he matures into his game. Decision making on defense was not always great and he had the obvious hiccups with impulse behaviour. Both of those trait will be cleaned up in the coming year. Somebody is going to really benefit from this guy on their team.

I do have to admit that I was worried how his playing time was gonna shake out for him with or without Ayo. Maybe he could have gained 5ish minutes with Kipper and dre's minutes leaving. But Curbelo and miller are going to eat most the extra time. With Ayo returning I doubt his role expanded massively, without Ayo I saw 25+ minutes.

Shame, him as a 'microwave' look-a-like was really enticing.

From what I’ve been able to observe, underclassmen typically transfer for one of two reasons: (1) differences with the coaching staff, or (2) lack of playing time.

Now, discounting (1), Griffin was envisioned as a possible starter on a projected top 25 team. I can only speculate that Griffin didn’t see things that way.

What are the pros and cons for Griffin? Seems like a lot of potential unknowns and uncertainty?
If he has to sit out a year, than can significantly increase the unknowns.

This was a concern after last season but somehow we convinced him to stay. Thank goodness. This would have been a much different season if he had transferred.