Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse

She thinks he should play point guard....

Crazy town. He'd better go somewhere small like Illinois St. or the like if that's the case. Kofi and maybe Giorgi were the only guys in the rotation with worse handles than Alan. Heck, on 2nd thought, he couldn't even play PG at ISU! Maybe Weslyen?

So you wanted to play our worst defender over our best defender? Most coaches wouldn't go that way, unless the worst defender was a big time scorer, which Alan wasn't. Both are good rebounders, Alan a bit better due to extra height. DW has better handles and is a much better passer. We made our hey on defense, so it's hardly surprising that Wood chose the way I would've and played the defender.
Here we go jumping in to support a Peoria kid again. Let's see, Griffin one dimensional (offense) is bad, Damonte one dimensional (defense) is good. Hypocritical much???

My apologies, I missed that.

It doesn't change the fact that they are false takes. He was never the "key to this team", and If you are quoting someone who said he "wan't even that good" and "expendable"....I've yet to find that post.

I just said I wasn't quoting someone. Using a single quotation mark (') means it's not a direct quote. I was trying to encapsulate a general feeling in the previous post, where the poster said AG was only good with feet set, needed somebody else to set him up, and was bad on defense.

As for the false takes, I'm only poking back because you offered nothing to refute my points. I'm not making anything up, I'm basing all of this on statistics (that were validated by much of the eye test). Go look up AG's advanced stats compared to our other main 6. He has the largest plus-minus. So, based on that metric, when he is on the floor our team is the best at scoring more points than the other team. That's just a fact. Whether or not it's specifically his talents or the side-effects of having a 40%+ three point threat, that could be up for debate. And when I said "several metrics" in an earlier post, it's because he also has the highest win shares per 40 minutes, another metric meant to measure how much a player contributes to a team's wins.

We can debate whether this is a big blow or something we'll be fine handling as a team, but we can't and shouldn't downplay AG's impact on this season. That does a disservice to ourselves and to him. AG may have been the type of player that benefitted from having somebody else (Ayo, TF) set his plate every night, but the same can be said for AG's impact on those guys; we need to have knockdown outside shooters to have an effective offense where our ball handlers can get in the lane, and AG was exceptional at knocking down shots and opening up the floor for Ayo.

Boy, the more I learn about the reasoning behind Alan's decision, the harder it is to "respect" it.

I won't lay into him on Twitter or IG, but there's nothing disrespectful about recognizing a bad decision for what it is.

Excuse my ignorance, but can we have a rundown of the reasonings we 'know' behind it?

Alan wants to stay, but Mom thinks he's MJ and should play 40 mins a game any position he wants and he bought into it.

Is this the only reasoning we have as to why he left?

Boy, the more I learn about the reasoning behind Alan's decision, the harder it is to "respect" it.

I won't lay into him on Twitter or IG, but there's nothing disrespectful about recognizing a bad decision for what it is.
How is it a bad decision? How do we even know where he ends up? If he goes to another conference with a more up-tempo play style and averages 20 points and gets drafted in the second round is it still a bad decision? Sometimes being selfish and needing to be the man is what is needed to get to the NBA.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
How is it a bad decision? How do we even know where he ends up? If he goes to another conference with a more up-tempo play style and averages 20 points and gets drafted in the second round is it still a bad decision? Sometimes being selfish and needing to be the man is what is needed to get to the NBA.
Sometimes bad decisions work out in the end. But the end result doesn't change how you evaluate the decision itself. Leaving Illinois to chase the dream of becoming an NBA PG is a bad decision based on his skillset and promising development. Leaving Illinois for any other reason could be a good decision. Leaving Illinois for that reason specifically is suspect at best.

No kid's gonna read a rando's rant.

Sometimes bad decisions work out in the end. But the end result doesn't change how you evaluate the decision itself. Leaving Illinois to chase the dream of becoming an NBA PG is a bad decision based on his skillset and promising development. Leaving Illinois for any other reason could be a good decision. Leaving Illinois for that reason specifically is suspect at best.
How do you know that's why he left? Maybe he wants to be the man and show he can handle the ball. Nothing wrong with either of those. If he fails then he does, but you can't make a call on this until you see the result.

Excuse my ignorance, but can we have a rundown of the reasonings we 'know' behind it?

Alan wants to stay, but Mom thinks he's MJ and should play 40 mins a game any position he wants and he bought into it.

Is this the only reasoning we have as to why he left?

The premium sites have already done a great job of trashing Griffin to the point of almost being slanderous. Man oh man what some people don't resort to after they become butt hurt when somebody spurns them.

Everyone is worried about replacing Griffin's 3-point shooting, and for good reason, but I'm going to miss the way he rebounded. It was so fun to watch Illinois rebound the basketball this year. They came away with so many tough rebounds that they didn't get in the past, winning plays. Sure, Kofi made a huge difference there but I loved watching the way guys you wouldn't always expect to come down with the board did like Griffin, especially Feliz, and Ayo later in the season seemed to grab some key boards. They all rebounded so well for their position and made plays at key times that helped turn games. Now Alan, Feliz and Ayo will probably all be gone, and I'll be curious to see who steps up next year to really keep Illinois rebounding at a high level.
Losing Ayo, Dre, and Alan’s 13 rebounds is huge. Also don’t buy Alan being a bad defensive player. He made mistakes but he was long and pretty quick. He just wasn’t as good as DaMonte.

The whole "Mom wants him to play PG" part is a joke, right? I get the Mom wants a "better" school for her son part, but as a PG? Did he ever play PG at any level?

Bummer. I figured his table was set for next year. But family dynamics like he must be dealing with cannot be easy...especially in already challenging times.

Good luck AG. I hope you find what you're looking for and reach your goals. [But if you transfer with the B1G please don't have a career night against us, okay?]